No announcement yet.

1990 BMW 318iS Sterling Silver Euro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great updates! That lower windshield cowl area is a nightmare to work around but your body guy is clearly a craftsman. Do the E30 Garage Norway guys offer that inner arch?

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
      Great updates! That lower windshield cowl area is a nightmare to work around but your body guy is clearly a craftsman. Do the E30 Garage Norway guys offer that inner arch?
      Thanks! Yeah, I think he does a good job too. He's just a very busy guy, so work is slow at times.

Unfurtunately no, not yet. He says later this year, but we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Glaede View Post

Thanks! Yeah, I think he does a good job too. He's just a very busy guy, so work is slow at times.

Unfurtunately no, not yet. He says later this year, but we'll see.

That's a bummer...hopefully you can either make what you have work or find something a bit better. Certainly your body guy will make it all look amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post

That's a bummer...hopefully you can either make what you have work or find something a bit better. Certainly your body guy will make it all look amazing.
          I'm sure he can fix it, but it will take some hours and if I could source a rust free example, it would just be a lot easier for him :-) And might even be cheaper in the end as the hour rates here in Denmark are ridiculous.

Comment

Wow, that's a big job! Looks like proper craftsmanship! I subscribed to your topic. Love to see some European 318iS projects 😍
            Belgian E30 Driver
            /
            //
            1990 - E30 - 318i Cabriolet Brilliantrot
            /// 1988 - E30 - 320i Touring Diamantschwarz (Sold)
            /// 1990 - E30 - 318IS Coupé Lazurblau

Check out my Rare BMW Music Edition Cassettes Topic

Comment

Originally posted by PieterVN View Post
              Wow, that's a big job! Looks like proper craftsmanship! I subscribed to your topic. Love to see some European 318iS projects 😍
              Thanks 😀 I'm following your project as well! Not many iS left in Europe I think. At least not here in Denmark. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Speechless! Thats quite an undertaking!
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by Glaede View Post
                  Thanks 😀 I'm following your project as well! Not many iS left in Europe I think. At least not here in Denmark. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Thanks man! I don't think so either. In my opinion EU-spec iS will always be a collectible model. In Belgium they are also quite rare. I have a couple of friends that own them and they are all in pretty good shape in comparison to some M10, M40 and M20 models..
                  These cars started to go at premium prices and people started to invest in restoring them and keeping them in good shape. They are totally worth it. Our Baby-M3's 😄
                  Belgian E30 Driver
                  /
                  //
                  1990 - E30 - 318i Cabriolet Brilliantrot
                  /// 1988 - E30 - 320i Touring Diamantschwarz (Sold)
                  /// 1990 - E30 - 318IS Coupé Lazurblau

Check out my Rare BMW Music Edition Cassettes Topic

Comment

Originally posted by PieterVN View Post
                    Thanks man! I don't think so either. In my opinion EU-spec iS will always be a collectible model. In Belgium they are also quite rare. I have a couple of friends that own them and they are all in pretty good shape in comparison to some M10, M40 and M20 models.. These cars started to go at premium prices and people started to invest in restoring them and keeping them in good shape. They are totally worth it. Our Baby-M3's 😄
                    Couldn't agree more! 😎😀 Also why I'm spending a pretty good load of money on bodywork. Hopefully it will keep its value.. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Got some pretty cool hubs a few days ago. These, supposedly, fits the std. E30 strut housing, but with 5x120 PCD instead. This means I'll keep the stock geometry.
                      Now, the real issue with this is basically the brakes. I have a few different setups that *should* work, but haven't tested it personally (..yet).

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0461.JPG Views:	0 Size:	57.4 KB ID:	9969687
                      Based on my "research" the following options should work:
                      Options:
                      E30 M3 brake discs (280x25mm) with Ford Focus mk 2 brake calipers (The 278 mm disc version for smaller petrol engines like the 1.6). Requires a spacer from 79 -> 66 mm to center the disc on the hub.
                      2. VW Golf 4 1.8T brake discs (288x25mm) re-drilled to 5x120 PCD and drilled 65 -> 66 mm center with Ford Mondeo mk 3 brake calipers. Might require a small spacer to prevent the wheel from touching the caliper dependent on the wheels offset.
                      3. VW 312x25mm mm brake discs re-drilled to 5x120 PCD and drilled 65 -> 66 mm center with Ford Focus ST 225 brake calipers. Might require a small spacer to prevent the wheel from touching the caliper dependent on the wheels offset.

Calipers should all bolt up to the std. E30 front strut housing with some minor adjustments to the strut housing. The front strut "ears/holes" for the brake caliper shold be opened op a tiny bit, like 0.5 - 1 mm to fit the calipers.

Please note, that I haven't tried anything of the above! Just put this information together from talking to people running with above configurations on std. 4 lug hubs. But, since the 5x120 hub keeps the dimensions of the E30 hub, I think it should work.

I'm going with option 1 as it should clear my wheels and look "OEM". I don't want to attract too much attention when going to inspections.

Comment

So, yesterday the flooring in the drivers side was completed. Really happy with the result!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0499.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	9970339

Work has now begun in the engine bay/wheel housing. Some very poor metal work has been done to that area in the past, so that will be cut out and replaced:

Name:	IMG_0500.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	9970340

I also bought a complete 318Ti rear end for my 5 lug conversion:

Name:	IMG_0485.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	9970341
                        As you can see - it looks like crap basically. I'll get it blasted and painted professionaly.
                        Last night I started dissassembling it. I got the rear trailing arms separated and also removed brakes, hubs ect. All worked out with a little heat and the right tools (..slide hammer i love you!)

Comment

The 318Ti stuff didn't go as planned. One of the trailing arms were rotted through, so I'm gonna sell what's left and useable :-/
                          So, I've come up with another plan. I'm gonna use the 318Ti calipers, with Z4 hubs and BMW E12 272x10 mm brake discs. They should fix pretty good to the Z4 hub height. Might need a little 1 mm spacer under the carrier, but we'll see.

I also, finally, got my hands on a m-tech 2 rear mirror with map lighthing. I've been back and forth with the seller for two years before he finally went and picked it up at his garage. Got it for a fair price and it looks to be in good condition.

Name:	2C4ECFE1-912B-4E37-8455-AE0425E1539F.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	9972766

Rust in the left side of the engine bay is now done! I think it came out really nice.

Name:	IMG_0579.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	9972764

Name:	IMG_0580 (1).JPG
Views:	119
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	9972765
                          Still a bit of grinding and seam sealing left, but no big deal.

Comment

So, I just realized that I haven't updated this thread for ages. That doesn't mean that nothing has happened though!
                            I lost my patience with the first body guy and hence found another. He is an absolute BMW E30 freak himself, and I think he has done an excellent job so far!

To sum up the last two years:
                            - More rust fixed
                            - Bought/pieced together a complete OEM M-Tech 2 kit with clips, drilling templates, etc.
                            - Bought 7 OZ Vegas in 8x16 and 9x16 (5x120).
                            - Blasted and powder-coated most of the suspension components in satin black.
                            - Got the car up on a rotisserie
                            - Cleaned the complete underside (nightmare..! Took me 6 months of late nights).
                            - The front support got replaced too due to rust

Unfortunately, the car had some more rust revealed after cleaning it and that's basically where I'm at right now. However, its minor areas. Mainly around the spare wheel well.

Images are not in the correct order - that would just be too time-consuming :-D

Enjoy!

Click image for larger version  Name:	921BA6C3-6036-4362-9286-A0AE4784CD25.jpg Views:	0 Size:	224.1 KB ID:	10106673 Click image for larger version  Name:	81738BAF-739C-43B3-B8FE-0D83B94E3F59.jpg Views:	0 Size:	223.7 KB ID:	10106674 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5546.jpg Views:	0 Size:	213.1 KB ID:	10106675 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7809.jpg Views:	0 Size:	228.1 KB ID:	10106676 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7576.jpg Views:	0 Size:	217.0 KB ID:	10106677
                            Last edited by Glaede; 10-24-2023, 11:32 PM.

Comment

The car had some serious rust in the rear, but luckily the body guy nailed it. Think he did an awesome job here.
                              He also fixed the frame wails and spring perch.

Name:	83E20CA7-78B3-408A-8EED-C4F3FD2BFC95.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	10106682 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5723.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	10106681 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5744.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	213.1 KB