my German import touring project : S52 / z3M coupe 5 lug + full rust repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks great!

I had a quick question I was hoping you could answer. When you were repairing the rust around the shock tower, it looked like you were able to move the fusebox far enough out of the way without having to pull the loom thru the firewall, is that correct?

I need to get directly underneath the box next to the DS shock tower but was under the impression (or had been told) that I'd need to unhook much of the harness from within the car to move it over a few inches.

Comment

Originally posted by HagenM View Post
      Looks great!

I had a quick question I was hoping you could answer. When you were repairing the rust around the shock tower, it looked like you were able to move the fusebox far enough out of the way without having to pull the loom thru the firewall, is that correct?

I need to get directly underneath the box next to the DS shock tower but was under the impression (or had been told) that I'd need to unhook much of the harness from within the car to move it over a few inches.
      hey there sorry it took a couple days for me to get back to your question. It depends how big your project is and how much of the wiring you would need to unstrap from the inner fender and in general some other things you may need to move from the area, but you can indeed dismount and fold the fuse box into the engine bay like I did without disconnecting anything.

I was even able to paint with it there by suspending it from above and maneuvering around it a bit- but for sure you have full access of whats underneath.

DM me for phone number and I can shoot ya some more photos.

Comment

Pretty jazzed.
        buddy came by last night and we got the motor/ trans/ headers installed all at once. Hoisted the motor up with a single strap positioned very front dominant - got to about a 45-60 degree angle and lowered it into the hole. once it made it's way into the transmission tunnel we set up a jack to hold the trans and guide it back. The jack basically rolled by it self while we persuaded it’s path and really it only required minor assistance. Took about 45 mins and very pleased that it didn't really fight us.

Motor all bolted down, and transmission bolted up both with condor poly mounts. One issue was the top most oxygen sensor which was basically resting against the firewall once everything was mounted. Only real path forward was we got a 2' extension and hammered the firewall back a little around the sensor to allow for removal/maintenance in the future. All is well ~

Here is the bay just before pulling the car outside to lower motor in -

Started running brake lines / etc to work with e90 booster. Did not expect to have to do this and would have preferred not to, but ended up not being too bad and I kind of like the way it's turning out.

Steering wheel and gauge cluster in / wired up. Starting to rebuild some interior stuff, but lots left to do in the bay / outside.

-
        -
        -
        -
        -

So relieved to have this motor back in the car. It's been a long 5 months and I feel like there have been milestones along this project. Having the motor in is substantial and there are about 5 weeks left before the picnic and I've been using that as a deadline. It seems like this could all come together by then.
        I hope.
        I expect..

Now time to build together the motor bits - wire everything up - finish brake lines - install fuel tank - install suspension - install interior - paint final body - cooling syste anyways there's more to do
        Last edited by ethirtydavid; 05-16-2021, 06:33 PM.

Comment

motor.

Comment

It’s great having a timeline goal because you will put in the extra time to try and make it whereas you might not work as hard. Hope you make it to the picnic!
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

front suspension is on and have the front brake system coming together.

had to make all new brake lines - also got the e30 clevis cut down and welded onto the e90 booster. the weld is a little crooked on this side but the clevis is straight. I later cut the e90 clevis off and whats left it only the e30.
              installed and fits up great.

Comment

This is awesome work. Definitely inspiring me to tackle my rust. Wish I could make it to the picnic to see your work in person. Good luck finishing it up.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
                  This is awesome work. Definitely inspiring me to tackle my rust. Wish I could make it to the picnic to see your work in person. Good luck finishing it up.
                  hey thanks man ~

I got a good bit of inspiration looking through some posts on here also. If I can help in some way let me know ~
                  You can always add more metal, I'd say just start by cutting out an easy piece and go from there ..

Comment

One month left to finish.

Comment

needing a break to order motor parts and decided to move inside for a minute.

the carpet was out for many reasons, and so of course I needed to consider sound deadening the floor.

also replacing some gas tank fuel lines before sealing that all up and throwing in the seats back in.

/ /

Expecting to have most of the interior fitted back together soon, then primer and paint to the final remaining parts / lower belly where rust repairs were.

Comment

Which thickness of kilmat did you use? I've been on the fence for a while about the floor/rear seat/parcel shelf
                        Originally posted by priapism
                        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                        Originally posted by shameson
                        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                          Which thickness of kilmat did you use? I've been on the fence for a while about the floor/rear seat/parcel shelf
                          I opted to get the 80mil - reviews are quote high for the product. 36sqft is 34 sheets and this was the exact amount required to do an e30 floor.

link here:
                          Kilmat 80mil 36 sqft Car Sound Deadening https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0751CBXBT...p_mob_ap_share

/ /

many reviews talk about how tiring it is to apply - you can ignore these.. the entire process takes about a beer and a half

Comment

just were not enough hours available and I missed my e30 picnic deadline- but no sweat, here is a recap of the final push in the two weeks prior to picnic.

- full wiring interior
                            - full wiring motor
                            - main trunk battery cable and all motor connections installed
                            - rear seats and carpet installed
                            - installed rear subframe / brakes and suspension (GC coilovers poke through the trunk area above fender arches and required slight modification to fit with the touring rear end)
                            - dip stick tube weld
                            - final paint touch ups, hvlp / hardener single stage
                            - under body rubberized coating
                            - fuel system re installed, (tank) and all new lines
                            - OEM paint tint belly coating with raptor liner
                            - wheels arrive Wednesday, will be going with e36 style 18 z3 wheels- 16x7 ET46 - plan to run square 225/40/16
                            - still looking for seats but have a set of 996 GT style black leather seats that will work until I find black leather e30 sports.
                            - all fluids + motor oil

final things to do are a short test fire, then throw together the final bits of the cooling system

it'll all be done soon.
                            feels like it's getting close ~

Comment

Keep those pics rolling!

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                              @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Got a little busy for the last couple months but a few things got sorted out. Expecting to ramp back up and finish this thing here soon ~

One thing is I got the wheels sorted out, at least for now.
                                BMW style18 et46 16x7.5 just running a casual square set of 225/45/16 toyo proxes r888

The front calipers are basically smushed into these 16" wheels, which I expected would be extremely close.

Good thing though there is just a bit of material that needed to be shaved off of the outer edge of the calipers to get this wheel to free spin. Rears are good to go ~

Here is the car - first time it has rolled under it's own weight in a long time and it was very satisfying to see it sitting *outside of the garage.

My expectation is that the car needs about 15 hours left to complete...

Comment

Working...
                                X