No announcement yet.

Gordon Murray Automotive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Gordon Murray cars are engineering works of art. For most we might one day be able to afford a photo of one. No idea where he gets his cash but all the power to him to be able to build these "one man's vision" cars. as opposed to design by accountants. The cars are absolutely amazing. And the more i read about the Mclaren F1 the more details come out too.

I had the F40 and the Mclaren F1 on a poster as a kid (and still do), do kids even have car posters anymore? is the T50 going to be on some kids wall? I'm not convinced. Those days might be over. So what is it then? Just an extremely expensive exclusive thing that only a few rich old people in the world can afford, and even fewer actually get one. I very much appreciate the engineering side of it sure, v12 manual - epic. But even if you wanted one you cant have as I'm sure they are already sold out anyway. And I assume very few are going to people who will use them all the time, most going to collectors who will store away and sell at a profit in 2yrs time. More comparable to faberge' egg than a car really.

In saying that though. I have just checked my youtube subscriptions and it seems everyone got to have an interview with Gordon about this new one and i will be watching all of them. Because its a v12 manual! with a fan! (there's that kid in me coming out)

Comment

This is something that I'm glad exists, even though I could never afford one (not unless I liquidated everything and lived in it, lol), and I don't really care about supercars otherwise.

Yeah, it'll probably be bought by private equity investment funds and crypto bros, never driven like it was meant to be. But maybe at least one person will appreciate it and drive it like they stole it!
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
        I had the F40 and the Mclaren F1 on a poster as a kid (and still do), do kids even have car posters anymore?
        Most probably don’t - I had a flat nose Porsche 930 turbo on my wall. Still, my son is quite in to cars - he has loved Lamborghinis since he was small, he just expresses that through playing video games like ‘Project Cars 3’ on the Playstation. He’s been hotting up and racing an EVO 6 on there recently, and was excitedly telling me how he’s going to buy an AE86 next in the game, but it has everything from 80s cars to modern exotics. Every time we joke about winning the lottery he always asks if I’ll buy a Lamborghini - to which I always reply, no I’ll buy a Porsche.

If kids are going to get into the Gordon Murray cars it will probably be through sim racing of some sort.

My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

The T43 (his lightweight sportscar concept) was initially designed for production by GMA but I think Murray saw the writing on the wall- he was never going to get funding for a lightweight, relatively-low-powered sportscar. He was, however, able to get funding for a pair of massively expensive supercars. Gordon said he wants to sell the T43 project to a major manufacturer.

I don't really see it happening as an ICE.

The T50 and T33 mean nothing to me other than interesting supercars. I appreciate Murray's attention to detail and making the best-driving supercars out there, but ultimately... who gives a shit? If I'm on a track I want a track car and for Southern California twisties, no supercar is going to be worth a damn (I don't drive the LA roads so LA guys' mileage may vary). I just want something tactile and tossable that doesn't punish me over roots and ruts.
          1990 325i/4/5, 1992 240SX, 1995 RRC, 1998 M3/4/5

Comment

Called it on the looks. The rear end is great, and I can see what he was trying to achieve with the front, but I think he missed the mark. It looks too long and kitcar-ish.

Again, mechanically, it's an amazing car. But I lust over the looks of cars, not the mechanicals. An F40 is a turbo tractor underneath, but that doesn't stop anyone from putting it at the top of their favorite cars list.
            Byron
            Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
              Called it on the looks. The rear end is great, and I can see what he was trying to achieve with the front, but I think he missed the mark.
              That's no way to talk about MrBurgundy 's GF.

Comment

I’ve been watching the YouTubers’ long interviews and he said something during the interview with Harry of Harry’s garage that made me laugh.He said, “the whole idea with GMA is to make cars that people want to use and we don’t want to give them a reason not to“ yet with 100 models starting at just 1.3 million I don’t think anyone is really going to put any miles on these cars.

Another gem that I caught during his Carfection interview was that he mentioned the engine and platform were going to be limited to a total of 300 units. The T.33 makes that total to 200 revealed, so this next one (which is likely to be a hybrid) will be the final version so expect a V 12 hybrid coming soon.
                i’ve basically given up on the T 43 that he had talked about so I will have to build one myself LOL
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

The T.50 isn't built on this platform, so I don't think those cars are included in the 300 count.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    This is something that I'm glad exists, even though I could never afford one (not unless I liquidated everything and lived in it, lol), and I don't really care about supercars otherwise.

Yeah, it'll probably be bought by private equity investment funds and crypto bros, never driven like it was meant to be. But maybe at least one person will appreciate it and drive it like they stole it!
                    I'm the same I'm glad it exists.

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...430-my-88-seta

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                      i’ve basically given up on the T 43 that he had talked about so I will have to build one myself LOL
                      LHD Lotus Elise S1 (MMC rotor reproduction run when, Lotus?) or an '05 Elise with some aftermarket modifications. The S1 should tip the scales somewhere around 1620lbs and a lot of the known problems have fixes; cost would be an issue as you'd have to have it made legal for CA. I'd have Shaikh at Fat Cat build a custom set of springs and dampers for either option to ensure good ride/handling compromise on SoCal roads and I'd not stray away from 175s/185s for tires as anything wider really impacts steering feel.

The T43 would be more survivable in a crash but ultimately speaking, that's outside the realm of us mere mortals to produce and the survivability in a crash with a Suburban or F-250 is likely low no matter what.
                      Last edited by SOneThreeCoupe; 05-17-2023, 04:27 PM.
                      1990 325i/4/5, 1992 240SX, 1995 RRC, 1998 M3/4/5

Comment

Are you reading my mind? ... lol I actually was looking at some Elises again, but I have another idea Im working on right now... because Im stupid
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                        X