Adding an off-road / bug-out / zombie apocalypse vehicle... looking for suggestions

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MrBurgundy
    replied
    It's hard to put into words how much room those Suburbans have.

    Great family car

    Leave a comment:


  • Panici
    replied
    Originally posted by varg

    GMT400 suburban 2500 with a 12V cummins swap.
    Love the barn doors. And you could run a 12v on waste oil if push comes to shove.

    Leave a comment:


  • varg
    replied
    Originally posted by E30 Wagen
    Guess I'm late to this thread but it's funny that I've also recently been thinking about what would be the best (or coolest) overland/survival vehicle to build and I've landed on the GMT800 based Suburban/Yukon XL. Honestly not super knowledgeable of that platform but I'd start with the heavy duty frame/suspension version and piece together whatever the strongest, most durable and efficient OE drivetrain is that I could scavange parts for pretty much anywhere. Add auxilary fuel tanks and heavy underside protection. If I had to cross 1000 miles of apocalyptic terrain to reach a safe zone with a military base or something I think a big old 4x4 'Burban with space for the fam (including dogs), survival gear, etc, would get it done.
    GMT400 suburban 2500 with a 12V cummins swap.

    Leave a comment:


  • E30 Wagen
    replied
    Guess I'm late to this thread but it's funny that I've also recently been thinking about what would be the best (or coolest) overland/survival vehicle to build and I've landed on the GMT800 based Suburban/Yukon XL. Honestly not super knowledgeable of that platform but I'd start with the heavy duty frame/suspension version and piece together whatever the strongest, most durable and efficient OE drivetrain is that I could scavange parts for pretty much anywhere. Add auxilary fuel tanks and heavy underside protection. If I had to cross 1000 miles of apocalyptic terrain to reach a safe zone with a military base or something I think a big old 4x4 'Burban with space for the fam (including dogs), survival gear, etc, would get it done.

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    Meh... I never liked the look of the lifted mk5. A MK4 Wagon or a Beetle actually look cool... mine looks decent with the Fake BBS wheels and lowered.

    Leave a comment:


  • Northern
    replied
    Chop the front/rear bumpers, swing out spare on the back, winch on the front, chop the fenders for big tires, pop the rocker covers off in exchange for some rock sliders and you're basically done.

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    I could take the front bumper and then the trunk lid to make it some kind Ute thing…

    Leave a comment:


  • roguetoaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Northern
    I believe statue requires some type of idiotic body cladding that does nothing with any such kit. That way everyone will know you're off-road ready and to not mess with you in the pickup or drop off line at school because you're so dang tough.

    Leave a comment:


  • Northern
    replied
    Same thing

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by varg
    A VW with a subaru engine, lol. You'd literally be better off with a 20+ year old chrysler minivan.
    I wonder if they have lift kits for them?…

    Leave a comment:


  • roguetoaster
    replied
    Glad I got a title for shitposting and not having an E30.

    Varg better step up his game.

    Leave a comment:


  • varg
    replied
    A VW with a subaru engine, lol. You'd literally be better off with a 20+ year old chrysler minivan.

    Leave a comment:


  • roguetoaster
    replied
    The Subaru swap makes it a much more capable vehicle. However, Vanagons generally are fragile, horrifically overpriced and are borderline junk.

    So, you should go for it.

    Leave a comment:


  • MrBurgundy
    replied
    I'll out run that thing on foot if you had your family and things in there

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    Ok, how about this
    Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: Subaru-Powered 1985 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia 4-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #226,319.

    Leave a comment:

Working...