Adding an off-road / bug-out / zombie apocalypse vehicle... looking for suggestions

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2mAn
    replied
    Here we go... just need to find a 5" lift kit LOL
    Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: 1.9L TDI-Powered 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #221,624.

    Leave a comment:


  • Simple_Smith
    replied
    M1009 K5 blazer ftw. Guttless mechanical diesel. Simple, effective, capable, and camouflage.

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    mTDI is a thing where they can make ALH & AHU and some other ~'00 era TDI's fully mechanical... my 06 BRM TDI is out of question.

    I just drove up from Los Angeles to Central CA for the Thanksgiving holiday and saw a few Dodge Cummins' trucks and I think that with a Camper on the back might be an option to look into.

    Leave a comment:


  • Northern
    replied
    I wonder about some kind of faraday cage/lead lined box or something with a handful of spare ECUs/sensors vs trying to make something fully mechanical

    Leave a comment:


  • rturbo 930
    replied
    Originally posted by Northern
    I do like the old 4x4 with TDI swap idea, but even an ALH is going to have an ECU, and anything older is going to be completely fucking gutless.
    For the chassis, I vote a Discovery 1/2. I see enough of them around socal for cheap lol...
    Having previously researched TDI swaps for my Jeep, I believe there is a way to make a TDI fully mechanical. That being said, I don't think it matters much.

    The hypothetical scenario here is basically nationwide or global civilizational collapse. Regular fuel deliveries at gas stations will no longer be happening. Whatever fuel exists at the time of collapse is going to be all there is, and I expect a lot of it to be used up pretty quickly. In my opinion, a bug out vehicle should be considered a one time use vehicle for the sole purpose of removing yourself from the situation. After that, you're on your own. Honestly, in this particular case, something solar powered might be the way to go. It may be complex and relatively delicate, but as long as it's still working, it's one of few things that'll be able to be refueled. No gas to go stale either. It's useless if the cause of collapse is an EMP though.

    Leave a comment:


  • Northern
    replied
    Originally posted by varg

    Are the diesels junk like the V8 Cayennes? A buddy of mine had one, they're startlingly cheap. Pain in the ass to work on too apparently. The alternator went out and it was a massive pain to remove it, and he found out the OE water cooled alternators are like $1500. He had his fun with it and got rid of it, which took a while because nobody wants them lol. I'm sticking with the M21 325ix. I've convinced myself that's a good idea. There's no way the BMW Lego thing carries over to that and you can just bolt the M20 ix oil pan to an M21, right?
    Honestly no idea. I think there are a handful of V6/V8 diesel options. More in love with the idea because they have diesel and manual options. I think they are only available in low trim levels though. I think they're better than that V10 TDI in the touareg.

    Would personally rather a facelift/first gen S/GTS/turbo with whatever gets the nice seats and air suspension, and do the overlanding thing with it. They're growing on me a lot.


    Anyway, huge holes in any plan/option. Even an ADV bike to a remote dwelling with another vehicle or something. We know how much shit rots when it sits - the house, the vehicle, etc. Basically you need to spend a large amount of time there to maintain it, or have someone do that for you.

    I do like the old 4x4 with TDI swap idea, but even an ALH is going to have an ECU, and anything older is going to be completely fucking gutless.
    For the chassis, I vote a Discovery 1/2. I see enough of them around socal for cheap lol...
    Last edited by Northern; 11-23-2025, 01:56 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • DEV0 E30
    replied
    Originally posted by parkerbink
    When I think of a post apocalypse vehicle, my first thought is no computers. If nukes fly all modern cars become statues because of the EMP. So 60 series Landcruiser. (I love my 80, but it has a damn computer, love my 2nd gen Sequoia more, again computer.)
    Valid, any LC is honestly a good choice. I feel like the 60 market has softened some but it's still gonna be 15-20k for something decent IMO. Cheaper can be found but I don't like rust.

    Leave a comment:


  • MrBurgundy
    replied
    The duck on the dash is a wrangler gladiator thing. It lets all other Jeep owners know that you’re on their side (the gay side)

    Leave a comment:


  • Simple_Smith
    replied
    hey I got to drive that around for a bit when I was visiting Matt. Cool little whip and great winter beater but definitely not apocalypse worthy. It is nice to have a car you can takeover curbs though

    Leave a comment:


  • Vincenze
    replied
    A lifted E30ix?



    Click image for larger version

Name:	gdzRIARl.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	10151350

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    Its actually a duck WHISTLE... with camo seat covers..

    edit: I tried to add a generic pic and holy sh!t, is the duck on the dash a Jeep thing??

    Leave a comment:


  • MrBurgundy
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn
    I have something trail-rated on my hit list... its already got a 3" lift and the cost of the TDI would buy me the vehicle as well as the "look at me I do off-road things" ARB front bumper with winch and some spare change for a tank of diesel.
    This has to be a clapped out duck on dash POS jeep

    Leave a comment:


  • parkerbink
    replied
    When I think of a post apocalypse vehicle, my first thought is no computers. If nukes fly all modern cars become statues because of the EMP. So 60 series Landcruiser. (I love my 80, but it has a damn computer, love my 2nd gen Sequoia more, again computer.)

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    I have something trail-rated on my hit list... its already got a 3" lift and the cost of the TDI would buy me the vehicle as well as the "look at me I do off-road things" ARB front bumper with winch and some spare change for a tank of diesel.

    Leave a comment:


  • DEV0 E30
    replied
    Problem is any decent truck/suv is going to be more than that, more cash on your end would be required (double even unless you find a killer deal) and there goes your decent MPG daily.

    Leave a comment:

Working...