Adding an off-road / bug-out / zombie apocalypse vehicle... looking for suggestions

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MrBurgundy
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn
    Aside from that, heres what MrBurgundy suggests I start with.
    Please dont

    Leave a comment:


  • Panici
    replied
    Have to decide realistically if it's an adventure vehicle you want to build. Or legitimately a bugout-only type situation.


    If we're talking about a bugout from the city the gold standard will always be a dirtbike or ADV bike. Perhaps a pair if you have a wife and two kids.
    Nothing else will make it out IMO.

    After you get out, something like a modified truck with a mechanical diesel (that will run on waste oil) would be preferred for a long-term emergency situation.


    If you're just wanting to build an adventure vehicle that's fine too, but in a disaster situation you won't get any further out of the city then the average SUV or pickup truck (who is also going to be jumping curbs etc.)

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    I have considered saving the money on another vehicle and taking flying classes instead...

    Focusing on a Diesel here in California it would need to be at the LATEST a 2006 so that rules out all of the Cayennes, but I think the V10 TDI would be an epic nightmare LMAO

    Edit: Found this... https://www.groovetoyota.com/auto/us...-co/112414535/

    Aside from that, heres what MrBurgundy suggests I start with. I can only imagine what kind of headaches are waiting, especially since I would need to swap something else in...



    OTOH Driving the Jetta TDI around, I love the drivetrain overall and have wondered if I could swap the drivetrain into a Tiguan, but they didnt sell them in 06 so thats off the table.

    There is a certain Jeep thats trail rated AND could potentially check the other boxes, but who knows
    Last edited by 2mAn; 11-14-2025, 10:11 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • roguetoaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Northern
    Anything with less than 4 seats is out, so that kills the ADV or any 2-wheeled options.
    I believe most two wheeled vehicles seat somewhere between 4 and 8 people, depending on region.

    Leave a comment:


  • Northern
    replied
    Ok ok hear me out - Diesel Cayenne.
    Harder to find, but I'm not confident the Gas versions will hit 500/tank.

    Anything with less than 4 seats is out, so that kills the ADV or any 2-wheeled options.

    Otherwise DIY yourself some kind of diesel SUV. Plenty of rust free shit down there, so take your pick haha.
    TDI, M57, cummins something...


    Anyway, park it away and have some kind of boat to get there? lol A couple bicycles and a canoe on some kind of jank bicycle trailer? lmao

    Leave a comment:


  • rturbo 930
    replied
    You think you're making it out of LA in LA traffic during a panic situation? You're already doomed.

    Leave a comment:


  • roguetoaster
    replied
    Just as a fun aside, I live on a peninsula SE of DC, right next door to a nuclear plant. If anything pops off I'm screwed. The one way anywhere will be blocked immediately, so my legitimate choice is a boat, or maybe a motorcycle, but the bridges will be choke points.

    Also, where am I going anyway? All of my resources and knowledge are based here. I know who has what in their houses since I work on them.

    Leave a comment:


  • MrBurgundy
    replied
    It's okay to just want a cool truck.

    You don't pin it on China and North Korea.

    We're your friends, not your wife

    Leave a comment:


  • varg
    replied
    Bugging out is impractical. Basically the options are aircraft, long range dirt bike, or blocked roads stopping you from going anywhere. I'm guessing we're in the same class so there aren't any family helicopters and fortified country homes to fly to in our futures.

    I would be surprised to see anything 4WD that does 500mi on a tank from the factory and isn't a diesel touareg or something, and those are a pain in the ass, so modded it is. Mechanical diesels are the gold standard of running forever and rare in anything that isn't a pickup truck, an old Mercedes or a VW econobox in the US, so swapped it is. I've been following a series of robot cantina videos where he put a VW diesel in an S10, you could make the slowest but most durable and utilitarian 4WD SUV by putting a VW diesel in a 4WD S10 Blazer or Jeep XJ. Or slow and durable but also expensive by using a Mercedes OM601/2/3 and the notoriously overpriced early 4runner. Or slow and huge and expensive with a 6BT in a GMT400 or earlier suburban or an Excursion. We're also on an E30 forum, and 325ix and 324d exist so here's your sign to put an M21 in a 325ix, and all terrain tires on it.

    Leave a comment:


  • MrBurgundy
    replied
    Africa Twin. Wife on the back, one kid on the tank and the baby can be stored away

    Leave a comment:


  • roguetoaster
    replied
    A bug out vehicle is worthless if you can't get out of the city anyway. So, your choices are basically motorcycle, or die. You can of course opt for both.

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    Grand Cherokee?... That was my wifes car when we started dating. She might not hate it if one shows up...

    Leave a comment:


  • MrBurgundy
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	107.8 KB ID:	10150792

    Leave a comment:


  • Adding an off-road / bug-out / zombie apocalypse vehicle... looking for suggestions

    My Instagram feed has turned toxic and is freaking me out. I am exploring adding something that I can prepare for Doomsday. Reality is that I live in Urban Los Angeles so the first nuke will hit us here when China/ Russia/ Aliens send it, but just for fun ... what do you suggest that can do the following:
    (1) Minimum of 500 miles on one fuel tank
    (2) Ideally 4WD or at least off-road capable as when the sh!t hits the fan the roads will be flooded with people, so I want to be able to use NOT-roads
    (3) Enough space for the family and our bug-out bags.
    (4) Towing?

    Initial thoughts were something like a CRV / Forester type smaller off-road-ish capable thats not a rock crawler type ... open to 4-Runner / Jeep options also. I feel like it should be a diesel as who knows what the ability will be for re-fueling.

    What are ya thinking. I live near the ocean, but boats are NOT an option. Dont even try it Sorry Rogue

Working...