This is Photography

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BlackbirdM3
    replied
    My Kestrels were back. I really have to be impressed by what the D810 can capture with my 200-500 lens.










    Will

    Leave a comment:


  • BlackbirdM3
    replied
    Originally posted by mrsleeve
    ^
    looks like a kestrel and really nice shot of them, Been trying for Kestrels for a long time

    Yep, American Kestrel, and I'm not sure if that is the same bird in all the pics. As I said, there were 3 of them rotating places on that same branch all afternoon long yesterday. They are really shy. As soon as they see you moving anywhere within about 50 yards, off they go.

    Will

    Leave a comment:


  • mrsleeve
    replied
    ^
    looks like a kestrel and really nice shot of them, Been trying for Kestrels for a long time

    Originally posted by Reichart12
    Future r3v photog meetup in GNP? lol
    only if I am home, this time of year there is not much opened up yet in the park, and the 4th though labor day I avoid, too many people 2+ million in that time frame, but I know lots of other places to go. ;)

    Leave a comment:


  • BlackbirdM3
    replied


    Great shot. All of the shots you posted are great, but that one I like the most. Nice work.

    I was out tuning the D810 yesterday. A family (I think) of American Kestrels were playing capture the branch behind the house. These guys are about as shy as birds get. I couldn't get within 50 yards of the tree they were fighting over, and they were at the top of the tree. (75+ feet up) These guys are really small. 100% crop at 500mm





    I did take the 810 sailing on Saturday. A few pics from the race.









    Will
    Last edited by BlackbirdM3; 06-01-2018, 10:18 AM. Reason: added a pic

    Leave a comment:


  • Reichart12
    replied
    Future r3v photog meetup in GNP? lol

    Leave a comment:


  • mrsleeve
    replied
    Gotcha we didn't get back home till Tuesday anyway, next time I guess

    Leave a comment:


  • Wschnitz
    replied
    Originally posted by mrsleeve
    ^

    Are you still here, I am home at the moment why didnt you say something about swinging through the area
    Ahh no, I forgot to say I was visiting glacier. Went there over memorial day weekend.

    Got some cool pics, but sitting in an uncomfortable rental suv for 10 hours made it only partially worth it.

    I think I need to get up to banff sometime this summer.

    Leave a comment:


  • mrsleeve
    replied
    ^

    Are you still here, I am home at the moment why didnt you say something about swinging through the area

    Leave a comment:


  • Wschnitz
    replied
    Ill get over black and white again eventually.

    _MG_0281 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
    IMG_0062 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
    _MG_0342-1 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
    IMG_0061 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
    _MG_8148 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
    IMG_0091 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr

    Leave a comment:


  • BlackbirdM3
    replied
    Got my pics from the Beale AFB open house done. Check them out here.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/473099...57669563091918

    Will

    Leave a comment:


  • coldweatherblue
    replied
    Nice Bluebird.

    Been having fun with some cheap primes lately.



    Azalea

    Leave a comment:


  • mrsleeve
    replied
    blue bird by mrsleeve, on Flickr

    Leave a comment:


  • Wschnitz
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackbirdM3
    Buy used. The only lens I have bought new is my 200-500 because at the time they weren't found used.

    I'm not sure what the lens selection is like for a Sony, but I bet its not as vast as Nikon. The Tamron lenses also aren't known for being super sharp. I know Ziess makes lenses for the Sonys, but those aren't going to be cheap either. Also, those bodies look really small. Unless you have hands like trumps, shooting all day will give you hand cramps. (Hence the reason I have battery grips on both the 600 and 810.)



    Will
    Oh ill be buying a battery grip. The Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 is $800 and nearly as sharp as sonys 24-70 f4 which is why its on my list. I don't doubt sony will start to bring the prices down over time, but the Tamron is easily sharp enough at that price point.

    This way I can save money to buy nicer primes when the Sigma Art lineup comes out or buy the 55mm f1.4 Sony Zeiss to replace the 50mm f1.8 later.

    Leave a comment:


  • BlackbirdM3
    replied
    Originally posted by Wschnitz
    Thats actually the alternative to the A7III i was thinking about. But Nikon glass really isnt any cheaper lol.

    Hooked a really nice summer job so A7III will happen. Probably going to snag the 50mm 1.8 until Tamrons 24-75mm 2.8 comes out.
    Buy used. The only lens I have bought new is my 200-500 because at the time they weren't found used.

    I'm not sure what the lens selection is like for a Sony, but I bet its not as vast as Nikon. The Tamron lenses also aren't known for being super sharp. I know Ziess makes lenses for the Sonys, but those aren't going to be cheap either. Also, those bodies look really small. Unless you have hands like trumps, shooting all day will give you hand cramps. (Hence the reason I have battery grips on both the 600 and 810.)



    Will

    Leave a comment:


  • Wschnitz
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackbirdM3
    So I did it... bought a D810 body. Should be here tomorrow. I'm shooting a classic sailboat race from one of the boats on Saturday. Part of me really wants to take the 810 and my 200-500 lens, but if for some reason that combo ends up in the drink, I'm out like $4500 in equipment, and that would suck. Still, the opportunity for some epic pics makes it very very tempting.

    Will
    Thats actually the alternative to the A7III i was thinking about. But Nikon glass really isnt any cheaper lol.

    Hooked a really nice summer job so A7III will happen. Probably going to snag the 50mm 1.8 until Tamrons 24-75mm 2.8 comes out.

    Leave a comment:

Working...