No announcement yet.

The Alfa Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From a classic Euro show a few weeks ago.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    I do things.

Comment

At 19:37 into the vid, Laguna Seca last Thanksgiving weekend. Came out of nowhere to fill the rear view mirror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjKlBSrtUss&t=25s

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
        Since its been a LONG time since I last uploaded some pics, I thought I'd do some pics.

Will
        Originally posted by LateFan View Post
        My current status hasn't changed much.
        (Note new rear axle sitting on the floor, yellow springs, no front suspension, Webers in a cardboard box, as well as an E30 transmission waiting it's turn)

:hitler:
        Attached Files
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Haha! ....yep

Comment

Speaking of Alfas that seem to be finished...

Holy Fk...$79,000....?
            This is not a Duetto, that's only 1966 and 67 - more properly called a "1750 Spider Veloce." Has the 1750 engine of course, SPICA fuel injection instead of Webers, 14" wheels down from 15", headrests, detail changes and steering wheel, different marker lights and badges.

Comment

Speaking of Spyder..

Harry’s garage and a cool view into the Mille Miglia experience
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

Some great cars in those shots, good noises.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                  :hitler:
                  I'm still working on mine. Not a lot, and certainly not quickly. Still, I have the interior for it now, and I scored 90% of a 101 1300 (I had the block, but none of the internals or head. I now have the pistons, rods, pistons, cylinder sleeves, a head with cams and valves.) I got the package shelf and shock tower cover covered as well. A full set of new stainless brake hardlines are sitting in a box waiting to be installed along with the new master cylinder for them. There is an 8 lb aluminum flywheel, gear reduction starter, and other bits waiting for me to get the engine ready to go in the car.

Speaking of the engine, I started in on the bottom end of the 1750. I was going to replace the rod and main bearings with some King coated ones, however the bearings I got have some roughness to the coating so I think they will be going back to Summit. (I learned from the local machinist that when King gets their coatings right, they are some of the best bearings in the world, but lately their coatings have sucked.)

Will
                  '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                  '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                  '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                  '88 BMW M3

Comment

Opinions on these possible wheels please -

I am fine with easily reversible mods on a car like this. They designed them in the 50s and 60s for windy rough mountain roads in Italy. They had long wheel travel and softish springs. The engineers built specials, and "sports purpose," and race cars much lower and stiffer.

So I'll keep my original, painfully skinny 4.5x15 wheels for originality, for historic shows, future value, whatever... But I want it to sit down lower and wider for everyday. I have Centerline yellow springs going on, better shocks, all new bushings.

I'd been thinking for years about widening an extra set of factory steelies to 6 or 6.5 x15, with original hubcaps about level with the lip instead of sticking out like Ben-Hur's hubs. It should look like a factory special, not deep dish hot rod - that make sense? Finding an old school hot rod shop that still does that is tough. Liability blah blah. Lack of demand blah. The phreshkid here had some nice ones done in Mexico for his 2002s. A 195 fits on a 6 or a 6.5" wheel. Everything I read says except for racing, a 205 is too much on the chassis and the antique steering box. 7" is too deep and too much tire on a 1900 lb car.

So I found a guy looking for original 4.5x15s because his PO widened his to 6", and he's doing a perfectly correct restoration of an early GT.

They seem to have been done by an old machine shop in NC. I see seam sealing. They're banded, so original barrels and centers for hubcaps. He said they balanced and rode fine the few times he drove it before stripping it down.

My concern is this exposed butt joint on the outer face. Maybe the welding was done from the backside. But I would think you'd want to fill or weld-in these joints and grind them smooth and repaint.

The four to the upper left, compared to a stock one lower right. I'm figuring out the offset now.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	7201837

6" vs 4.5"

Name:	wheel 2.jpg
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	7201838

Name:	IMG_3152.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	7201839

See that seam where the band meets the barrel?

Name:	IMG_3139.jpg
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	7201840

And here.. I see the butt joint of the band here.

Name:	IMG_3140.jpg
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	7201841

Comment

^ Yes.
                      Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                      The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

If it means the car gets off the jackstands and back on the road, yes
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

I haven't inspected a banded wheel from that side but I've seen it being done and it is done from the outside usually with a special rig that turns the wheel and MIGs it in one smooth bead. It makes sense that there would be a visible seam on the inside of the wheel, maybe finishing on the inside with a sanding wheel was not done, probably because it isn't visible once it's on the car. If you post a picture of the weld itself I'm sure one of the internet weld critics will chime in and tell you if it's underpenetrated or something.

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          [CoTM: 4-18]
                          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                          - updated 1-26

Comment

Here's what I've got so far. A seam sealer and tape layer over the weld...

uh oh...photo posting has glitched out again. I'll try later.

Comment

The biggest thing that bothers me with the stock steel wheels is that the centers flex like crazy. Before I got my Panasports on the GTV I was running the stock wheels and would toss a hubcap at least once a month. (Sometimes I was able to find them, sometimes not.) At $60 a month if not more, it added up quickly, and there was no reason for it. The wheels really don't look that good without hubcaps either. This would be my #1 reason for not running stock wheels. Also in there, weight. The Panasports were one of the best mods I did to the GTV.

Will
                              '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                              '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                              '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                              '88 BMW M3

Comment

OK, pics are loading today again.

Here are more pics the seller sent -

I figure the offset at about 19mm. OEM skinnies are 38.

Name:	IMG_3142.jpg
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	7201846

Name:	IMG_3143.jpg
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	7201847

This car won't be tracked, and it's mostly for fun drives over the mountains, so they won't be overly stressed.
                                Last edited by LateFan; 07-10-2019, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X