No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL Land Rover thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little searching shows that a 110 is about 4000 to 4200lbs, which is around what I would have guessed. With all the new safety stuff and new tech stuff and an aluminum chassis, I think a weight of 4500lbs would actually be pretty good. Still way too heavy, but it's 2016, where even a Camry is a large, >3000lb car.

Comment

Hooooooooohmygod Slammin you are giving me some bad ideas. I have an M54B30 sitting around with nothing to go in and I have been craving another Disco... never did I think I could combine the two
      -Alex

Comment

Originally posted by acolella76 View Post
        Hooooooooohmygod Slammin you are giving me some bad ideas. I have an M54B30 sitting around with nothing to go in and I have been craving another Disco... never did I think I could combine the two
        Hahah, we'll see.....planning on dropping the engine in next week (have off between Xmas and New Years). The killer is thing to be getting the trans to work with the ECU. It's all CAN line shit....

As far as getting the engine to fit proper....man, I almost think I'd be better off doing the M6x....it's shorter, and by the time I get the M20 bellhousing and an adapter plate I think the engine wouldn't be too close to the firewall. I had to massage quite a bit....

IDK, I'm going to put the M60 in the 109 after this. I've been perusing craigslist for Disco 2s with popped engines....but everyone seems to think a blowed up D2 is worth $3000.....
        1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
          IDK, I'm going to put the M60 in the 109 after this. I've been perusing craigslist for Disco 2s with popped engines....but everyone seems to think a blowed up D2 is worth $3000.....
          Right??? Damn, where were all those people when I was trying to prove the value of my truck to the insurance company!?

Oh well, let us know how it goes :) i wonder how hard it would be to retrofit an XI trans? lol probably not much easier...
          -Alex

Comment

OFFICIAL Land Rover thread.

Originally posted by acolella76 View Post
            Right??? Damn, where were all those people when I was trying to prove the value of my truck to the insurance company!?

Oh well, let us know how it goes :) i wonder how hard it would be to retrofit an XI trans? lol probably not much easier...

Yeah, I'm trying to keep it a "bolt in" swap. I'm using the South African Defender mount specs (as provided by Andrew's Defender 90 3.0i project over on Defender Source) to make my own mounts because I'm betting the engine will be further back than in the 90. Otherwise, the wiring should be a breeze....I've discovered some things about that I won't delve into yet.

The one thing I wish I could do was to easily convert this thing to the P38 steering box. It'd make everything fit so much easier. I may still see about following the Series/Defender guide to doing so, I've got the box and some fairly thick rod (hehe) to make new steering bits. The problem comes in where the panhard rod comes across, and the front sway bar.

Comment

Winter mode, with skinny little snow tires on newer wheels. He says it sticks really well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0356.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	7189588

Funny story from last week -
              He was working in a small rural hospital last week. Trying to get home for xmas. TWENTY NINE degrees below zero. Of course it wouldn't even crank. He was being polite and didn't use the parking spots with outlets.

Took the battery out and took it inside to warm it up. Got the maint. guy to help him, so he put the battery back in in order to get it out of gear so they could drag it across the parking lot to a functioning outlet. Plugged in a pan warmer all the next day, but the cold was sort of overpowering the heater.

Late afternoon it barely started, sputtering and cold. But it was running and he got it up to temp.

But no heater blower.

He bundled all up and scraped the inside of the glass and drove down the Interstate with the windows cracked so it wouldn't ice up. Painfully cold. About two hours in, the blower kicked back on and blew heat! Made it home safe but late.

Next day here, it started just fine, everything works, heater blows warm on all speeds - yay.

Comment

Alright, update on the D2 M54 nightmare.

I got the P38 box mount modifications all done. IDK why they made Discos so different. Anywho, that's behind me now. Pics later, it's not too pretty, but I was making it up as I went. Waiting on the pain to dry overnight and It'll all be together tomorrow.

Moving forward, the engine I was going to put in the Disco has a rod sticking out of the block behind the oil filter stand. YAY.

So I've sourced a low mileage block and have a rotating assembly to swap into it. This sets me way back though, as I won't have the engine in and running this week, but at least I'll know I've got a good, 100% M54 to work with.

Pics later. Man, what an adventure. I can't wait to have the damn thing running.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL View Post
                    That's an ugly Ford Explorer Sport!

Hope the Defender doesn't look like like the new trend...

Parked my Disco1 in front of a new Discovery on the mountain today.

Even though I had to take a jump off due to the 2 degree weather, I was still chuckling at the preening douche scared to get snow in his carpet.

My disco handles the snow much better.....once it ran.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    Derek-

Comment

Saw a new LR magazine called "Alloy+Grit." Kind of your glossy enthusiast magazine, but it has a couple articles on old LRs and mentions our friend Gord'n Perrot the LR guru in Seattle.

Also has a feature on the production run of the LR3, and a comparison of all the Discoveries.

Interesting that even though the DII kept the 100" wheelbase, it's off-road performance went down, not to mention the reliability issues. Approach angle and things like that went way down compared to the DI.

The LR3 was a really competent off-road car, better in most ways than the DI. The Jaguar V8 was fantastic and reliable. It's weak points were the diffs / pinion bearings (due to excess weight probably), suspension bushings, the electronic parking brake, lower windshield leaking, and alternator wear. The air springs got a lot better, but some people have changed them out for coils - you lose all that ingenious off-road height adjustablilty then however.

They redesigned the Jag pan and oil pump for severe steep slope duty, and other smart engineering bits like that. They were thinking.

It had a unit body on TOP of a separate steel ladder frame, and it was heavy, 5425 lbs compared to DI 4450 and DII 4575. Very stiff for off-road, but heavy. Mileage sucked as a result.

The LR3 had a 113.6" wheelbase to improve rear seat room, so just a bit over the famous 110. The new full size Discovery 5 has a stiff aluminum unit body with two sub-frames to hold the suspension, and weighs 4835 lbs. And it's a BIG car. The wheelbase is now 115", mostly for interior room.

So if this new chassis is the basis for the next Defender, will they cut the wheelbase down to something more reasonable? Assuming the new chassis design is modular, that's not hard to change before production. That would make for less weight and more maneuverability. Although the 110 was never a twisty switchback kind of truck - if you needed that you'd bring a D90. The 110 carried a lot of weight a long way, and it was simple.

It will be interesting to see what they do. If they can get the weight down, a modern turbo diesel might get decent mileage.

oh..EDIT - the new Discovery has a fording depth of 35 1/2", way above any previous model. That's kitchen counter height.
                      Last edited by LateFan; 01-05-2017, 12:00 PM.

Comment

So my son's '95 Disco (blue one, post 1641) is developing what sounds to me like a crankshaft knock. He sent a phone video - deep clunk / knock at idle, not every stroke. Doesn't sound like higher pitch rod bearing clatter. Doesn't sound like any accessory noise. Idles at 600-700. Sounds similar to an engine with the timing off, dieseling when it won't shut off, but with a smooth idle.

130,000+ mi on the engine now, good transplanted block from a 99 D2 by a LR mechanic. Installed a new cam, lifters, timing chain, all new gaskets. That was with 110k.

My son's been religious about oil, uses high zinc oil for the tappets.

I'd post the video, but it's a .3gp file from an iphone....?

He's up to his eyeballs in grad school, no time, apt with no garage, 2 feet of snow, and I'm hours away. He should have a real mechanic listen to it.

Comment

So..he made an offer on this this morning.

Name:	00b0b_4uOVc5hyggm_600x450.jpg
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	7190018

Name:	00202_ji9EiDb4C5v_600x450.jpg
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	7190019

2006 HSE, 145k, heavy duty package with locking dif, winter package. Seller is ex-Porsche tech and has done major maintenance himself - alternator, ball joints, new control arms, transmission flush, dif fluids yada yada. Been on long trips recently with no problems. Camped all over the SW. Dry, no rust, everything works, new tires.

Comment

^^ Oh my yass!

Comment

Old & New...

Name:	508537888.jpg
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	7190023

It has WAY too much posh shit in it. But the HD and winter packages are nice to have. Might have an air leak or exhaust leak on bank 1 - there's a lean code but it runs well. Came with a Rover-specific scanner tool.

D1 has either a rod knock, a main bearing knock, or maybe loose torque converter bolts...? We heard a very similar noise that was torque converter, not bearings.

Comment

That's a super sweet D1.
                                -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
                                -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Comment

Working...
                                X