OFFICIAL Land Rover thread.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • slammin.e28
    replied
    Annnnnd tossing it up a bit more.

    I'm putting a M54 in the truck.

    It's the perfect engine for it. A little less tq, but more HP....I think with simple mods I can make up for the tq loss. Wiring will be easy, already have that mostly figured out...engine insertion will be easy....it's still the 4hp trans in the Rover.

    After reading so many horror stories on RV8s, I figured I'd stick with what I know. Armed with wiring diagrams, I can make this thing operate as stock.

    Have a strict timeline to get it on the road before the snow starts to seriously fly. Also have a week vacay next week and the week from Xmas thru the 1st to get it done up.

    May start a separate thread when it's done with all the documentation. It's going to be so nice.

    M54 is god's engine.

    Leave a comment:


  • slammin.e28
    replied
    I decided to switch it up a bit. I'm taking a week off of work in December....so I'm going to work on the Series III. That'll be a lot cooler to be hooning around in the snow with than the Disco 2 anyway....especially since I don't have a roof for it.

    Leave a comment:


  • BlackSpeed66
    replied
    Whenever I'm bored at work, my guilty pleasure is looking at late-model P38s on auto trader. I can't help myself... I'm in love with the design of them - inside and outside I haven't yet come to terms with the fact that if I'm ever in a position to pick one up, there's the potential for it to become a giant, steaming pile in short order


    Or, it could be absolutely wonderful!

    Leave a comment:


  • Northern
    replied
    yus

    Leave a comment:


  • slammin.e28
    replied
    So, getting back in the saddle here. I've got loads of parts to throw at this Disco. I have one 4.0 (the one in the truck), two 4.6s (one complete, one a short block). All the bottom end bearings, rings, oil pump, headgaskets, bolts, two sets of rebuilt heads, etc.

    Going to pressure test the blocks and pick the best one, pin the liners, then hit them with a ball bearing hone and toss the sucker together. Hopefully get some shit done over T-giving. Wanna have this thing driving before the snow starts flying in Jan/Feb.

    Also got a set of PERFECT heated leather front seats to toss in. That was always my biggest complaint...the non-heated, cracking, vinyl seats. $75 at the Pick-a-part. Easy as pie to install. I just wanna put them in and hook up the battery and sit in my non-running truck with the heated seats on.

    If I fell froggy I MAY get a mild performance cam and toss in with new lifters....but right now the budget is slim.....we'll see. I can always do that after the heads are on.

    Leave a comment:


  • jrossowvue30
    replied
    So I'm having 2 issues with my RRC. It has a battery drain and it keeps killing fuel pumps. I upgraded my battery to an Optima Yellow Top battery and even that is getting drain pretty quickly. I've also replaced the fuel pump twice in about 6 months of ownership. I am not sure if these two issues are related, or if the battery draining somehow kills the fuel pump but I'm stumped. If I disconnect the battery when I know I won't drive if for a day or longer the fuel pump is fine when I reconnect the battery and start it up. The last fuel pump I replaced seemed to only work intermittently so I am wondering if their is a short somewhere going to the pump that also sometimes gives it too much power, thus burning it out.

    Anyone encountered this issue with a Rover Classic or Disco? This is getting old.

    Leave a comment:


  • LateFan
    replied
    [ATTACH]111285[/ATTACH]

    [ATTACH]111286[/ATTACH]

    [ATTACH]111287[/ATTACH]

    Leave a comment:


  • jrossowvue30
    replied
    Originally posted by Deltron Dirty30
    Do you think itll be a decent enough daily for the New England winter?
    Is this just a winter DD you're looking for or a year round DD that needs to survive a NE winter? I can't think of a better ride in snow and shitty weather. Although I do not count on mine for daily duty, and I'm not sure I would want to count on it as my only everyday car, mine has never not started or left me stranded. They're great trucks, but they do needs some love and care.

    Originally posted by LateFan
    "Everything is work!"

    Yes. Yes it is.

    Actually it looks pretty clean from these tiny pictures. 175k after the rebuild, is that right? Still a lot of miles on an alum Rover V8. But it's cheap, so....
    Do you have a Land Rover shop that could check it out and know what to look for? These have air suspension, no? You can convert back to coils with some $$.


    woof...
    [ATTACH]111166[/ATTACH]
    That one I linked to is a factory coil'd Rover. They didn't start with EAS until 1993. Hard to know exactly what the mileage is since rebuild, I'd say the author of that ad speaks english as a second language. Either way, these motors can go a long way if they aren't overheated and blow HG's which is likely why it was rebuilt.

    Leave a comment:


  • LateFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Deltron Dirty30
    Do you think itll be a decent enough daily for the New England winter?
    "Everything is work!"

    Yes. Yes it is.

    Actually it looks pretty clean from these tiny pictures. 175k after the rebuild, is that right? Still a lot of miles on an alum Rover V8. But it's cheap, so....
    Do you have a Land Rover shop that could check it out and know what to look for? These have air suspension, no? You can convert back to coils with some $$.


    woof...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Rover & woofus.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	7188812

    Leave a comment:


  • Deltron Dirty30
    replied
    Originally posted by jrossowvue30
    I've seen that white one and if it is truly rust free that's not bad. I've also been keeping my eye on this grey one: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/d...788355191.html

    It looks clean enough and if rust free looks like a better starting point.
    Do you think itll be a decent enough daily for the New England winter?

    Leave a comment:


  • LateFan
    replied
    All I can offer is don't buy an '87. Even the Rover guru couldn't keep ours running. We traded it as a parts car to the mechanic, who had a nice '95 Discovery with a newer engine swapped in. 192,000 mi at this point, but running well. Recently replaced all the tie rod ends etc. Much tighter, less wander.

    Leave a comment:


  • jrossowvue30
    replied
    Originally posted by Deltron Dirty30
    Thinking about getting this RRC as a project and turning it into a DD.

    What do you guys think?

    http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/m...764246093.html
    I've seen that white one and if it is truly rust free that's not bad. I've also been keeping my eye on this grey one: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/d...788355191.html

    It looks clean enough and if rust free looks like a better starting point.

    Leave a comment:


  • Deltron Dirty30
    replied
    Thinking about getting this RRC as a project and turning it into a DD.

    What do you guys think?

    Leave a comment:


  • LateFan
    replied
    Series II 109 with RRC axles

    Click image for larger version

Name:	land_rover_109_himalaya.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	7188753

    Click image for larger version

Name:	282ef75a60609ba60765b81903c2339b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	7188754

    This one has a Cummins diesel swap
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1971_Land_Rover_Series_SII_109_Cummins_Diesel_Modified_Expedition_Vehicle_For_Sale_Front_resize.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	7188755

    Leave a comment:


  • LateFan
    replied
    [ATTACH]111080[/ATTACH]

    [ATTACH]111081[/ATTACH]

    Leave a comment:

Working...