OFFICIAL Land Rover thread.
Collapse
X
-
Hooooooooohmygod Slammin you are giving me some bad ideas. I have an M54B30 sitting around with nothing to go in and I have been craving another Disco... never did I think I could combine the two -
A little searching shows that a 110 is about 4000 to 4200lbs, which is around what I would have guessed. With all the new safety stuff and new tech stuff and an aluminum chassis, I think a weight of 4500lbs would actually be pretty good. Still way too heavy, but it's 2016, where even a Camry is a large, >3000lb car.Leave a comment:
-
-
It's just the suspension and chassis underneath that will be similar.Leave a comment:
-
That's an ugly Ford Explorer Sport!
Hope the Defender doesn't look like like the new trend...Leave a comment:
-
I would certainly hope so. 5000lbs is still really fuckin heavy.Take out the complicated electronics and posh leather interior and I'll bet the Defender is lighter still.lLeave a comment:
-
In Defender News.....
This is in Autoweek. 2017 Land Rover Discovery review. Read between the lines - this is the new Defender chassis under this thing....
"...aluminum Premium Lightweight Architecture (PLA), also under the Range Rover and Range Rover Sport. Thus the LR4’s heavy ladder frame is out, and unibody construction is in. The automaker says the Discovery is about 1,000 pounds lighter than the near-6,000 pound LR4."
> LR3 and 4 were SO heavy, silly heavy. Take out the complicated electronics and posh leather interior and I'll bet the Defender is lighter still.
"The Discovery can tow up to 4,400 pounds, and, being a Land Rover, of course the off-road chops are here: 11.1 inches of ground clearance and 3 feet (!) of wading depth... Suspension is double-wishbone front and multilink rear."
"As expected, the new Discovery sailed through everything we threw at it, fording, climbing, descending -- no worries. It felt near unstoppable."
http://autoweek.com/article/car-revi...#ixzz4Sl7ejvolLeave a comment:
-
Finally fits.

Things were learned. The P38 steering box will not no way no how bolt to the Disco frame, so I've got to live with the box in the engine bay.
Also, the next one I do I'm going to try a M62. It's not a "bolt in" affair though.Leave a comment:
-
-
OFFICIAL Land Rover thread.
Today I pulled that lump of a Rv8 out and applied a thin layer of M20 bellhousing to the transmission.



Tomorrow the junk M54 goes in to mock things up. I'm so giddy.Last edited by slammin.e28; 12-05-2016, 08:08 PM.Leave a comment:
-
-
This one? Yeah, that thing is an embarrassment. Good to hear it won't make it to production. The new Defender sound like it could be pretty damn cool. I hope the US gets the diesel engine, and that the MSRP isn't too lofty.
Leave a comment:
-
LR rumour (ha) mill is churning again...
The word is the new Defender is mostly designed, the mechanical & chassis bits are solved, and they will begin engineering testing on mules soon. I would say this means they'll hide the chassis under another similar shell and we'll never know it's a Defender under there until later.
They will use the newest version of the Discovery LR / Range Rover / RRS aluminum unit chassis with two aluminum subframes. Live axles. It won't have air suspension, active body control, or any of the techy shit underneath in order to keep costs down. It will NOT be related to either the new Discovery Sport or the Evoque.
Five body styles: 2-door SWB metal top, 2-door soft top, 4-door long WB metal top, 2-door SWB pickup, and a 4-door LWB pickup.
Engines will be 2-liter diesels, 2-liter turbo fours, and a 300hp 3.0 V6. Six-speed manual or 9-speed auto. Low-range transfer case, and diff locks available.
"We are working on the aesthetic successor to the old Defender" - Jaguar Land Rover Chief Dr Ralf Speth
They hope to have it arrive in time for the 70th anniversary in 2018. They hope / need to sell 30,000 units/year, but production can easily be increased if there's demand. They will be North-American legal and sold in the US.
I'm excited to see one. It's got to be 1000% better than that thing they proposed a couple of years ago, and I think they learned from that.Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: