So the time has finally come to turn my attention to my RRC that I picked up earlier this summer. There have been a few things holding this back from being road-worthy that I need to address and a general tune-up then I should be good to go.
The question has become, repair EAS or convert to coils. I love the idea of keeping this one as close to stock as I can but part on me says fuck the EAS and convert to coils. Currently the EAS works with a fault, I have no control over the ride height and definitely a leak.
Decisions, decisions...
OFFICIAL Land Rover thread.
Collapse
X
-
LOL, that's partially the engine from my RRC.Leave a comment:
-
-
There's a place that's developing a bolt in 4.8 LS engine kit that runs on the Rover Motronic. They have at least one running. I'm a fan, but I'd rather keep my Rover Rover. Even though the SBC is just a cousin to the RV8.
So, I got the 4.6 torn down. Verdict later....
First, my adjustable engine stand:
....and the verdict:
#6 rod bearing, spun. Crank looks great though, no scoring on #6. There is some on #3, so I'll see about having it polished or ground. It's not bad at all. Bearing were all pretty shitty. Bores all look great, can still see cross hatching. I'll prob get the machine shop to pressure test the block if they can....but I've got two blocks....since the 4.6 and 4.0 blocks are the same.
Leave a comment:
-
If you put a Chevy v8 in a disco 2, would it solve nearly all its problems?
Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkLeave a comment:
-
Picked up a "rebuilt" 4.6 to rebuild for $0...even transporting was covered as I was picking up a bike for a friend.
It was allegedly rebuild by some DIYer...who obviously didn't rebuild anything by the condition of the bearings. Oil pump was replaced, and looks like the HG and top end stuff was done as well. He gave up when he installed the engine and it wouldn't turn over. Still won't turn over. I've removed the oil pump/cover and the timing chain. Cam moves. Dropped the rod caps off of cyl 1, 3, 4, 8 and all of the main caps...still won't turn. Pistons 1, 3, 4, 8 push into the bore and back fine from underneath. I can't imagine what the guy could have fucked up....
But all I'm really after is the crank and pistons. I'll pin the liners and probably pick up a Crower cam and some headers for it too to do a true 4.6 build.
Hopefully tonight I'll get the heads pulled and see what's what in there.
Yes I got a hardbody.Leave a comment:
-
Pulled the piston from the Rover....#7....rings are fine. Buh.
But here's the rod bearing.
Yay.
I'm so happy.Leave a comment:
-
Whelp, finally got around to pulling the head off the D2.
Methinks I'll be fine pulling the piston, re-ringing, and reassembling.Leave a comment:
-
Agreed, I have a friends with 4runners who paid 3 - 4 times as much, mine is just as capable, let alone more comfortable, even with the occasional parts spend.Isn't it just the oil pump gears? Those are cheap and pretty easy to replace if so. I'm about to do timing cover gasket and oil pump gears on mine. It's at 165k now, leaks oil and coolant because of the timing cover gasket, but has never let me down. Disco's are fantastic for a competent DIY owner, and I think they are cool/unique/capable enough to warrant the extra upkeep. For someone that's going to rely on a shop for maintenance or repairs, I think they are probably the worst vehicle one could buy.
They are certainly not set it and forget it vehicles, everything on mine I do as preventative maintenance to ensure i'm not stranded on the side, those things I don't do beforehand I receive a gentle Land Rover warning.
For example I was getting on the freeway a year or so ago, right at the end of the onramp the engine died (tach drops) yep, CPS, I knew I should have replaced it, but I didn't.. Sat for 10 min, started back up, drove to shop and replaced it, been fine every since.
Last week was more preventative maint stuff, front wheel bearings/hubs, rotors, pads, calipers, replaced the radiator (still had the original at 165k, it was due, all diff / transfer case fluids,etc
Next month doing rear hubs, calipers, rotors, pads, etc. Yes the hubs are expensive (261 a piece for good ones) however the originals lasted 165k and only in the past 10k started to get noisy.
Great rigs, will never own a non Land Rover SUV at this point, nothing compares.
or as they say, the Best 4x4xFarLeave a comment:
-
Also they're generally pretty simple to work on. Most all of the "big" issues have been discussed ad nauseam and there are great write ups and fixes, like for the three amigos.
Plus too, they're cool as shit!Leave a comment:
-
This! Compared to BMWs there is so much room to work in the Disco. You don't usually have to jack it up to work under it. It's nice, I kind of wish I still had mine.Leave a comment:
-
Isn't it just the oil pump gears? Those are cheap and pretty easy to replace if so. I'm about to do timing cover gasket and oil pump gears on mine. It's at 165k now, leaks oil and coolant because of the timing cover gasket, but has never let me down. Disco's are fantastic for a competent DIY owner, and I think they are cool/unique/capable enough to warrant the extra upkeep. For someone that's going to rely on a shop for maintenance or repairs, I think they are probably the worst vehicle one could buy.Leave a comment:
-
thought the 03's still had the inferior oil pump/pick up issue, And it was the 04's that had the issue fixedLeave a comment:
-
-
With the rate that they leak, I'm assuming they frequently run out of oil?
Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkLeave a comment:

Leave a comment: