OFFICIAL Land Rover thread.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LateFan
    replied
    Check this guy out - restoring RRC's to perfect condition in Vermont...

    Taylor Congleton grew up on the water, in South Hero, Vermont—an island in the midst of Lake Champlain, tucked quietly away between upstate New York and the Quebec border. Nowadays he raises three majestic hound dogs who occasionally inspect his work. On the weekends he sails a hydrofoil catamaran painted with Flying Tigers livery, a tribute to his World War II veteran grandfather. He has the tasteful trappings of Range Rover life. And within the cramped blue walls of a 1,600 square-foot shop in


    He does a beautiful job. But to campare it to Singer is just silly - he's restoring them to perfect new condition, sure, but all OEM / stock. If it were me, for that amount of work and money, I'd say why not take that opportunity to get rid of all the Lucas smoke parts and sensors and wiring harness, and design a new harness and engine management system from scratch. It can look stock but function way better than originally designed.

    Leave a comment:


  • James Crivellone
    replied
    Originally posted by LateFan
    Nice buy. And isn't the Sport an LR3/4 underneath? So a pretty solid truck.
    Yeah LR4 underneath, in fact the front core support is the same part number.

    I did test drive a full size, and a supercharged 4.2L (2006) but the 2010+ interior really sold me, its light-years ahead.

    Plus with the 5L its 350HP/350TQ, so no need for the supercharged version.. although the 5L SC is 500+ HP.. which is way too god damn fast (yeah I said it) for an SUV

    Leave a comment:


  • LateFan
    replied
    Originally posted by 5ickride
    A simpler option? Less electric BS?
    Yeah - simpler, lighter, shorter, more maneuverable, higher approach angles, way less electrics troubles. All that said, even with care and good oil, ours developed a rod knock at like 140k.

    But like slammin' says, the D2 is posher, bigger, nicer inside, less tractor-like on the highway.
    Last edited by LateFan; 01-31-2018, 04:15 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • slammin.e28
    replied
    Yeah, the pre-thor engines seems to hold up better. I for one am a D2 fan because it's like the e46 of Rover....however they can be a little more painful to deal with.

    Either one is good, but be prepared to pay a little more in aggravation to deal with the D2. Worth it IMO.

    Leave a comment:


  • 5ickride
    replied
    A simpler option? Less electric BS?

    Leave a comment:


  • LateFan
    replied
    I would vote Discovery 1, 1995.

    Leave a comment:


  • 5ickride
    replied
    I hate to ask, but what's the word on Disco's? Worth getting one? Which one?

    Leave a comment:


  • LateFan
    replied
    Just saw this over on misc FS.....

    Leave a comment:


  • 5ickride
    replied
    Originally posted by slammin.e28
    Oh that's you! I love your IG! You probably know who I am, lol.
    Ha! I appreciate it man, thank you for following. I know who you are!

    Leave a comment:


  • slammin.e28
    replied
    Originally posted by 5ickride
    Hey ya’ll,
    Trying to build up my following on IG. I post mostly Land Rovers and some personal cars I’ve owned throughout my life. I also sell a couple every once in a while. I think ya would dig it. Check out my page @grampsgarage
    Thanks!
    Oh that's you! I love your IG! You probably know who I am, lol.

    Leave a comment:


  • 5ickride
    replied
    Hey ya’ll,
    Trying to build up my following on IG. I post mostly Land Rovers and some personal cars I’ve owned throughout my life. I also sell a couple every once in a while. I think ya would dig it. Check out my page @grampsgarage
    Thanks!

    Leave a comment:


  • LateFan
    replied
    My son's LR3 has that - nice engine. And it has an amazing cooling system that can crawl around in low gears in the heat, and a crazy deep oil sump so the thing has full oil pressure at 45º + angles.

    Leave a comment:


  • slammin.e28
    replied
    Originally posted by LateFan
    Cool! That looks like a Jaguar-based motor...not the Rover / Pontiac V8...?
    Yeah 2005+ they went all Jag engine. I hear great things about them though. Jag had the engines sorted after 2000/1 (IIRC, timing guide issues), and of course the Rv8 had been exhausted well before then.

    I'd love to get my hands on a LR3 in the future....but for now I'll stick with building my hot rod.

    Leave a comment:


  • LateFan
    replied
    Cool! That looks like a Jaguar-based motor...not the Rover / Pontiac V8...?

    Leave a comment:


  • slammin.e28
    replied
    Originally posted by LateFan
    ^^ no linky no worky
    Fixed

    Leave a comment:

Working...