No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL Land Rover thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^ Holland, what is your choice for disco to start with if you could start with any?

What are the problem areas to look out for on the early models?
    Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
    The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Lr3

Have you guys seen what these things can do? Pretty amazing for what, 6000 lbs unloaded. The wheels hardly spin at all, and they just quietly crawl over anything. The computer figures out flex, droop, where to send the torque - pretty cool.

I've seen videos where older trucks and Jeeps are scraping and hopping and chirping tires, then a family with giggling kids in an LR3 goes..GLURK..right up the same obstacle with no fuss...in street tires.

They are in the teens price wise now. You just have to make sure you get the updated computer flash the dealers did for the first years (2005?)

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Watch the LR3 at the end of this. You think he's toast, he's going over backwards! The he starts up again on that steep and goes right up. Crazy.
      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

(A Sport is just an LR3 with a different body on it, even though they look like a RR)

Comment

I'm itching for a 2003-2005 L322 next.....

1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

D2s have been one of favorite suvs for a long ass time but I agree with the statement regarding electronics and simplicity of the D1.

I just love me the goofy rear fold down seats!
          Swanny!
          SUCKERS.

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny View Post
            D2s have been one of favorite suvs for a long ass time but I agree with the statement regarding electronics and simplicity of the D1.

I just love me the goofy rear fold down seats!
            I don't think you see the 3 Amigos on the D1, do you? From what I've read, it's a regular thing in a D2. But yeah, the interior is cool. D1 is plenty cumfy too. LR3 is VERY comfy...I'd say POSH!

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
              Lets say hypothetically one wanted to do a motor/trans swap into a disco. Something like a 5.3 out of a Tahoe but lets ignore the engine/trans for now.

What are the pros and cons to the various discos over the years minus their engine and trans?

Which one would you start with?

**this would primarily be a street driven vehicle**
              Disco 1 or 2? 1 is not bad, 2 the electronics start to cause issues. I really want to do an M52 in my Disco 2, but want to repair the 4L Rover V8 before I want to battle electronics.

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone View Post
                I really want to do an M52 in my Disco 2, but want to repair the 4L Rover V8 before I want to battle electronics.
                I'm gearing up to build a 3.2l M52 with an S52 block. Probably won't be together for a while though, but should put some more oomph back into this thing.

Comment

[pipedream]

In the back of my head I always thought it would be cool to build a Disco 2 on E39 electronics, ARB lockers front and rear, + CDL.. would solve every issue the truck has

[/pipedream]

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone View Post
                    [pipedream]

In the back of my head I always thought it would be cool to build a Disco 2 on E39 electronics, ARB lockers front and rear, + CDL.. would solve every issue the truck has

[/pipedream]
                    I've been considering finding a wrecked BMW and adapting all the stuff, gauge cluster, OBC, etc into mine. Right down to the econometer in the dash. I miss that little guy in this truck.

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
                      You're boss doesn't need one.
                      He drives a Q5.
                      Yes he does.
                      1986 Plymouth Horizon. Base.

Comment

Originally posted by InuFaye View Post
                        He drives a Q5.
                        Yes he does.
                        Oh shit! A D1 would be an upgrade on that pile of shit.

Comment

IMO, they missed the boat design-wise on this one. Looks like some Nissan or something. Note how the last 10 years of RR looks a LOT like the 1980 RR...classic lines, elegant, lots of glass.

The cool thing about the Discovery is they are the link to LR past. The flat shape on the hood is from the shape of the old Series hood. The hump in the roof is from the Series roof. The Alpine windows on the side are right off a Series. The rear door swings out like the old ones did, instead of a hatch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	green S-III.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	7159567

Click image for larger version

Name:	99DII white top.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	7159568

The the LR3 / LR4 does a really clean modern take on the whole idea. They're big, but I like them.

Comment

Of course, I would post a P38 above. -_-

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                              ^^ Holland, what is your choice for disco to start with if you could start with any?

What are the problem areas to look out for on the early models?
                              94 was the first year in the US. 94 and 95 are by far the most basic of them all and probably the most problem free. With that said they are the most utilitarian. Great trail trucks but as far as comfort, convenience, and power they are down. They have the 3.9 V8 with a distributor.

96 to early 99 saw huge changes for the D1. The rover V8 got the GEMS efi system also gaining the 4.0 designation, more creature comforts and luxuries, more horsepower. Still great trail trucks, bit more problematic engine wise.

Late 99 to 02 got the Discovery 2. These trucks are longer, more roomy, and much more comfortable than the previous Discovery 1. These trucks while capable, were less trail savvy than it's predecessor. Things in the D1, like all electrics mounted high for water fording were now mounted low. BMW was in ownership at this time, and with that came Bosch management to the V8. early trucks had the CDL transfer box, but lacked the linkage. CDL swaps on early D2's are pretty straight forward. Later trucks had a different transfer box entirely. Land rover believed CDL wasn't necessary with their improvements with traction control.

With 2003 came a huge change. Trucks got a facelift and got the 4.6 out of the Range Rover, improved brake calipers were also introduced. They go more creature comforts on the inside and more features on the outside. These trucks are plagued with oiling issues and are common to see low mileage trucks needing replacement engines.

In 2004 the CDL box was introduced back into the Discovery as customers were complaining. Oiling issues with the 4.6 were fixed, but due to old, worn molds in the factory, the engine blocks were cast with poor tolerances and these trucks suffer with porous blocks, and slipping cylinder liners. Still 2004 is the most sought after year of the D2.

Keep in mind these trucks have aluminum bodies, but steel chassis. Won't rust on the outside but will on the inside. Rust likes to form on the rear arches, rear cargo door area, rear floor, and around the roof windows.

Except that's a P38 pictured...
                              1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                              You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Of course, I would post a P38 above. -_-

There, that's better.

Comment

Working...
                                X