No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL Land Rover thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It will likely be available soon. Want to determine what the noise is. It's nice - interior, AC, rack, ladders, Old Man EMU 2" suspension, light guards, new tires, snow tires, tie rod ends....

Comment

I think it's about time for me to do a big (and rare) round of maintenance on my D2. I've been extremely lucky with this one- it basically sits next to my garage and is driven pretty infrequently until I need it, and it's never let me down. I just finished DDing it for almost 3 weeks while I did rod bearings and some other stuff on my e39 M5, but its really starting to need some love. It's at 170k, with OG heagaskets. Short list is:

Cowl and A-pillar trim
      Alternator (hopefully just the bearing)
      Timing cover and oil pump gears (oil/coolant leak)
      front end stuff (probably all orignal)
      Steering wheel recover (It's an LE with the two-tone leather wheel)
      Brakes

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
      Winter mode, with skinny little snow tires on newer wheels. He says it sticks really well.

[ATTACH]112307[/ATTACH]
      Is that an 850R? I check craigslist a couple times a month for one of those things (or a V70R), one of my favorite "compromise" cars... Lots of practicality but still a pretty interesting/fun car.

Hope the noise with your son's D1 isn't anything too terminal
      - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

850 T-5, 1994, the 225 hp first year of turbo wagon. It's been a great car, many many road trips. We may be selling it, as we just bought an '04 XC70 from a friend cheap.

Thanks -

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
          850 T-5, 1994, the 225 hp first year of turbo wagon. It's been a great car, many many road trips. We may be selling it, as we just bought an '04 XC70 from a friend cheap.

Thanks -
          Nice! My parents had a V70 turbo they bought new in '98, it was our family road trip car for my teenage years, so lots of good memories.... It was such a reliable and well-built car, I think they sold it with 310k miles or something, all drivetrain components still original but the trans was starting to go. Awesome cars, I will definitely own one someday.

Back to Land Rovers- I am starting to catch the bug with this one. I did the timing cover gasket and oil pump gears, but when I had the pan down I noticed that the coolant leak I had was coming from the valley pan seal @ the back of the motor. I took that apart to see what was going on and found all the lower intake bolts loose and the rear valley pan seal wasn't installed correctly, and it was bolted down with half of it hanging inside of the sealing surface. My dad was the OG owner on this thing, and it was never really serviced, so I'm thinking this may have been this way from the factory? It's been leaking for a very long time. After finding this, I realized that I was not that many bolts away from doing heagaskets (pushrods, wtf?), so I ended up here-

2017-03-06_01-43-01 by Jonathan braswell, on Flickr

I also ordered some new EBC pads all around, and some Teraflex extended brake lines. Next on the list are some caster-corrected radius arms and some new springs and shocks. Anyone have any experience with Fox shocks on an dual-purpose truck/SUV? I have 2" RTE springs and OME shocks on this thing, but they are about 12 years old, so I'm about to go ahead and get all new stuff... My end goal is to make this thing safe for my girlfriend to drive, but it has a long way to go
          - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

^^ Which block is that? 4.0?

Spring break is next week so he's having the parts all shipped here. Guess who gets to help work on it? We're replacing a front valve block for the air springs - inside a fender liner I think. Replacing a fuel vapor pump in the way back that's part of the emission system and throws a code. Checking for any cracked vac hoses and tiny air leaks. And replacing the cowling tray below the windshield that's warped and loose. These are apparently a regular issue - water gets behind them coming off the windshield and can pour into the fresh air intake / pollen filter housing and soak the carpet.

The thing is 75" tall and 75" wide - looks like it'll fit in the garage yay. I'm not working on the street in the snow anymore!

Comment

Andy Wheel designed the LR3 for LR -
              Click image for larger version

Name:	LR3 Andy Wheel.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	7190276

Not ours, but similar to this..I think these are 19" wheels, ours is swapped to 18" for better tires.

Name:	2005 Land Rover Discovery 3 front view.jpg
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	7190277

So we replaced a front air suspension valve block. It's behind the passenger side bumper inside the fender liner. Cool little Voss hose connections on heavy nylon pressure hose. We'll see if we got the very slow air leak. Old one was very dusty inside with mis-matched o-rings. If it sits for a couple of days, the nose drops down too low and the compressor overworks constantly adjusting the height.

Then we replaced an emissions gas fume pump between the frame and the body, above the rear axle. Some vapor canisters in the way and a ton of gas and vent hoses. No room to work at all. Pain in the ass, but we got it all hooked up. The electric locker rear diff is quite a monster.

New windshield cowling was fun and easy. Built a little gorilla tape cover over the corner of the fresh air intake box. The corner of it hangs maybe an inch past the base of the windshield, so if you're parked uphill at al, water runs down the windshield and into the box on onto the carpet yay.

Erased all the codes, we'll see what happens.

<EDIT> I tried to close the garage door when it started to get cold. Back of car jacked up, still plenty of clearance.....except that metal bar in the middle that's connected to the chain. I cracked his sunroof, which is like the whole roof of the car. Just found it. derp
              Last edited by LateFan; 03-13-2017, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Jaguar DOHC V8
                [ATTACH]113489[/ATTACH]

Locking rear diff
                [ATTACH]113490[/ATTACH]

Voss quick-connect air fitting - multiple internal o-rings
                [ATTACH]113491[/ATTACH]

Diagnostics
                [ATTACH]113492[/ATTACH]

Comment

LR3 first impressions

Fun to drive. More like a firm 3/4 ton pickup ride, rather than wallowing like an old RR or Disco. It. is. heavy. You can just feel the weight, even with 330hp or whatever it has.. it's beefy. Huge brakes. Good braking and steering feel. Doesn't really lean. Good visibility, you sit up pretty high. Nice firm seats.

The new front air valve block is working, both front fender lips stay right at 33" off the ground at normal height. Now that that's fixed and you take out the fuse for the system overnight, the back is sagging down - so there's a slow leak in the rear valve block as well. That's ordered. It's above the frame, behind the LR strut tower - you can see the hoses from the wheel well. There's a system fresh air intake and filter next to the LR taillight housing. Compressor is right in front of the LR wheel, and a long round pressure tank sits next to the frame rail between the F & R wheels.

Speaking of heavy, get this - there are two pairs of big iron weights hanging off rubber bushing pivots right in front of the rear bumper crossmember. They're huge, I'm guessing 25-30 pounds each. They pivot forward-rearward on a soft bushing. Apparently they're a vibration damper of some kind. Could it be for towing, or just smooth ride? These things can tow 7000 lbs or so.

So from what I've learned, the Ford group used the best engine they had access to, the Jag V8, redesigned the oiling system so it can run at 45º, used Ford electrics instead of Lucas, and a lot of Volvo knobs and switches inside.

Name:	IMG_0508.jpg
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	7190308

Comment

Man that thing is sweet.

I need a Rover in my life.... soon.
                    -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
                    '95 525iT
                    '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
                    '98 Disco 1

Comment

Just so you Land Rover guys know... I can get rover parts, and pricing is normally competitive. I even can get parts that aren't available at the dealer. Feel free to give us a call for a quote. 208.336.9925 or 800.897.7278

Comment

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
                        Just so you Land Rover guys know... I can get rover parts, and pricing is normally competitive. I even can get parts that aren't available at the dealer. Feel free to give us a call for a quote. 208.336.9925 or 800.897.7278
                        HOOOOOOLD THE PHONE.....what you say!?
                        1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
                          HOOOOOOLD THE PHONE.....what you say!?
                          I work at an import parts shop now. We sell lots of parts to the Land Rover dealer haha I know you work at a shop though, so I'm sure you have access to cheaper parts too.

Comment

Ok, can either of you guys get a good deal on a windshield cowl trim piece and A-pillar trim for a DII? They all break, and the options seem to be super expensive dealer piece, broken used piece that is plastic-welded back together, or fiberglass part from Indonesia.
                            - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
                              Ok, can either of you guys get a good deal on a windshield cowl trim piece and A-pillar trim for a DII? They all break, and the options seem to be super expensive dealer piece, broken used piece that is plastic-welded back together, or fiberglass part from Indonesia.
                              Part number: JAK000010PMA and DCB500070PMA ?

Comment

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
                                Part number: JAK000010PMA and DCB500070PMA ?
                                Yep. DCB500070PMA is drivers side, DCB500060PMA is the Passenger side A-pillar trim.
                                - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Working...
                                X