OFFICIAL Land Rover thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Powling View Post
    I don't even want to ask this but...what are we all thinking for price range for base model?

I think I read somewhere they will start ~$43k
    BEERTECH

Comment

BaT - heavily modified '64 IIA 109 V8.

Coil spring conversion, new nose, seats, etc. Has a 110 frame - note the wheelbase is a hair off at the rear fender, and the axles hang out of the body a bit (that's why the 110 / Defender got those black flares added on).

Bid for the chance to own a V8-Powered 1964 Land Rover 109 Series IIA 4×4 at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #13,532.

Too bad they just didn't go with a non-Rover V8, or a modern diesel. But it's tidy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1964_land_rover_109_series_iia_4x4_153671066998764daIMG_5204-2-940x705.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	7198073

Comment

That was fun watching the bidding war for that thing at the end. Sweet ride but reserve still not met. Wow.
        -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
        '95 525iT
        '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
        '98 Disco 1

Comment

^^ Reserve not met at 38 grand? Sheezuz. Not sure I'd trust that 4.0. If you're going to do the work, why not a reliable LS iron block, or a new LR turbodiesel?

My son and I were talking - he loves his Jaguar LR3, and we survived a worn-out '87 RRC together with that same 4.0 engine, and a high miles '95 D1 that started knocking, and I had a 289 Bronco in high school - my first car actually. 289, 8 spark plugs, one coil - there was not a reliability question. It would idle over a log in low-low.

I'm not talking about an ICON or Singer type build, just a garage hobby project....Wouldn't it be fun to take a "rust free" Range Rover Classic SWB, GUT it, and plop in a 302 or maybe a truck-sourced LS, with the ECU and everything attached. bring the automatic with it, adapt it to the transfer case and running gear. All new bushings, get rid of the play. Old Man EMU suspension.

Design a brand new wiring harness for the whole car, eliminating any part with a Lucas logo on it! Lots of grounds. Rust-proof fittings.

Re-do the interior and carpets. Skid plates. Hide a winch behind the bumper. It's perfect.

Comment

I was cruising up the mountain on The Google, checking out the old Targa Florio race course in Sicily, and look what was parked in a little town....

Doin' some work. Plain white steelies, maybe 235-85-16s. I like them just like this.

Name:	Defender 110 Sicily.jpg
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	7198137

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
              ^^ Reserve not met at 38 grand? Sheezuz. Not sure I'd trust that 4.0. If you're going to do the work, why not a reliable LS iron block, or a new LR turbodiesel?

My son and I were talking - he loves his Jaguar LR3, and we survived a worn-out '87 RRC together with that same 4.0 engine, and a high miles '95 D1 that started knocking, and I had a 289 Bronco in high school - my first car actually. 289, 8 spark plugs, one coil - there was not a reliability question. It would idle over a log in low-low.

I'm not talking about an ICON or Singer type build, just a garage hobby project....Wouldn't it be fun to take a "rust free" Range Rover Classic SWB, GUT it, and plop in a 302 or maybe a truck-sourced LS, with the ECU and everything attached. bring the automatic with it, adapt it to the transfer case and running gear. All new bushings, get rid of the play. Old Man EMU suspension.

Design a brand new wiring harness for the whole car, eliminating any part with a Lucas logo on it! Lots of grounds. Rust-proof fittings.

Re-do the interior and carpets. Skid plates. Hide a winch behind the bumper. It's perfect.
              Not quite exactly what you described there, but along the same lines. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA-XPHqhkk0

Comment

^^ That's great! I love that stuff.

"Time to get this old engine oote!"

Comment

The local indie Rover shop near me has started advertising Chevy 5.3 swaps I think. They’ve done a few Discos already. Should the 4.6 in mine go in a spectacular fashion, the thought is kinda tempting :p
                  -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
                  '95 525iT
                  '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
                  '98 Disco 1

Comment

Anyone on here able to point me in the right direction for finding a semi decent L322?

I’m looking to buy one for my wife. I made the mistake of telling her she could have what ever she wants and now I’m looking for a Range Rover... I’ve been on and off search tempest but I just haven’t found anything worth it. I want an 03-05 White/ Black or Blue exterior with black interior. Preferably sub 100k but I’m okay with up to 120k.

I’m a BMW tech so I’d like to stick to the M62 since I’m swapping my e30 with one and will have spare parts.

Thanks in advance for the R3v help ;)

Comment

Defender news bits from Road & Track:

"...the vehicle has been assigned a project code of L663, a project name of “Darwin,” and it rides on the D7U platform. This platform is aluminum intensive and is currently used by vehicles such as the Range Rover Sport and Discovery,..."

"...project descriptions show the L663 Defender listed alongside the L462 Discovery, so it is very likely that the Defender and Discovery will share some amount of components and technology."

"...the Defender is likely to be produced at the new Jaguar Land Rover factory in Nitra, Slovakia. The Land Rover Discovery started production there last month..."

"...research shows that the Defender will come in two wheelbases and will retain the 90 and 110 designations that it has used in the past. It is unknown whether these will be exact measurements for the wheelbase since it was rounded on past models; the old Land Rover 90 actually had a wheelbase of 93 inches."

"...the Defender will also be getting a plug-in hybrid variant with technology developed by Tata Technologies...a Lear plant in Morocco is currently tooling up to build the high-voltage wiring"

"...a German roof supplier lists the development of a panoramaaufstelldach for the vehicle. The direct translation of that word is camper roof."

"...currently available information shows it to be a very technologically advanced vehicle that will also offer some classic overlanding features."

Comment

A heavily camouflaged Defender 90 test mule has appeared.

Same as the longer version - rear quarters are covered over, window sills raised, hood line raised, roof line raised. I'd like to see a sloped top like the old ones. We'll see.

But it's short, with no overhangs - looks like it will be able to go places.

Name:	LR-defender-90-1.jpg
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	7198471

Name:	LR-defender-90-2.jpg
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	7198472

Name:	LR-defender-90-3.jpg
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	7198473

Comment

A company called "Twisted Automotive" in the UK bought almost the last 240 Defenders coming off the line.

"Now, Twisted is down to its last 80 examples and just revealed what it's planning to do with them. Forty-four new-old Defenders will be given to the branch of its company dubbed 'Remake History.' The concept is as straightforward as it sounds. Twisted will be remaking 44 of the Defenders to pay homage to the history of the original Land Rover. The production of these vehicles is scheduled to commence early next year."

"Its last 36 Defenders will be given to a different branch of the small company named 'Make History.' The emphasis on these builds will be to create bespoke vehicles that are more forward thinking, rather than trying to redo what's already been done. Twisted is only planning on selling these 36 Defenders to its existing clients..."

Name:	twisted-land-rover-defender-1.jpg
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	7198474

I don't like the interiors though.

Comment

New Defender sneak peak from LR. Possible news Dec 27.

For years we’ve been eagerly waiting to see what the next Land Rover Defender will look like. The last “new Defender” concept came out in 2011, and since then, the only Defenders we’ve seen have been prototype mules running around with scrunched Range Rover bodies. Until, I think, today.

Name:	48372146_2253604324664494_2767035008320274432_n.jpg
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	7198535

...."To me it looks like the map of a Medieval city laid out by drunk friars." lol

Comment

Is it just me, or is it not enormous the way I would have assumed that it would be made today?

Comment

So hard to judge the scale, isn't it. I'm sure those are huge wheels, so it's not little. Sort of Tahoe-sized (?) but functional with no overhangs, which is good.

Comment

Working...
                                X