• Show
Clear All

I want
    3.1L (S52 crank, 86mm bore)
    10~10.5:1 CR
    IE true longtube headers
    RHD ITB's and make an airbox myself.
    Schrick 288
    Catcams billet rockers with the longer pads.
    Springs to match
    MS3x or something better for management, probably with some COP setup.

Probably run a stock head at first, then someday get the $$ together for a head from Knight Engines in Aus, or mess around with some old 885's on a flowbench and see what I can make happen on the cheap.

Mostly just want the M20 sound with ITB's and ~225hp worth of balls, with good bottom end.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Be cool and swap our m20 like everyone else ;p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Damn, son..... That's awesome. I wish I had that much knowledge.
        88 325i Cabrio
        04 Neon SRT-4

Originally posted by MrBurgundy
        If R3v was a dude, it would pick up a tinder date naked, with a raging boner, drunk, in an e30 with a shitty interior, a missing sunroof panel, explaining how its a classic while staring at the tinder date's tits.

Comment

This is probably ~5+ years into the future, once school is done and this ratty 4-door is swapped, beaten, and sold.
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I still might keep the cabby stock, maybe ITB's though, and just restore it. I would like to get a hardtop shell and either do a turbo 2.7i or an ls swap. The only thing I hate about the m20 is the worrying tin-can valvetrain.
            88 325i Cabrio
            04 Neon SRT-4

If R3v was a dude, it would pick up a tinder date naked, with a raging boner, drunk, in an e30 with a shitty interior, a missing sunroof panel, explaining how its a classic while staring at the tinder date's tits.

Comment

Why call compare it to a tin can? The valve train is reliable. Also, don't mistake the clicking and clacking the fuel injectors make to be your valvetrain.

Just adjust your valves regularly, make sure your eccentrics are not worn and use oil with the proper zinc rating and you should have nothing to worry about.
              Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                Why call compare it to a tin can? The valve train is reliable. Also, don't mistake the clicking and clacking the fuel injectors make to be your valvetrain.

Just adjust your valves regularly, make sure your eccentrics are not worn and use oil with the proper zinc rating and you should have nothing to worry about.
                Very true. I'm just constantly paranoid that something is going to fuck up. I honestly love the m20, the noise just scares me.
                88 325i Cabrio
                04 Neon SRT-4

Comment

its just the injectors, its nothing to worry about.

I did a valve adjustment not too long ago on my m20, put a stethoscope on the cover and almost no noise. 90% of the clicking is the injectors.

Comment

its just the injectors, its nothing to worry about.

I did a valve adjustment not too long ago on my m20, put a stethoscope on the cover and almost no noise. 90% of the clicking is the injectors.
                    ACTUALLY I put the stethoscope on mine AFTER adjusting them. Holy hell, they were loud...
                    88 325i Cabrio
                    04 Neon SRT-4

Comment

Did you use the spring tool on the eccentrics while adjusting?

Also, if you're getting a lot of valve noise after an adjustment (assuming it was done right), you probably have worn valve guides.

Comment

Digger is the Jesus Christ of N/A m20 builders
                        Never heard it phrased that was but it fits so well

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                        Nah, I want to pull a "digger" :)
                        same here but a high revving 2.8 would be tits
                        89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
                        I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

I got this monster just chilling in the corner of my basement.

Likely going to turbo my m42 in the spring with jakeb’s turbo kit. 2k and its reliable and perfect amount of boost for a DD.

In other news. I took a nap and woke up to a guy who runs a local autoshop offering me a job out of the blue through Facebook messenger.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

You available this weekend for me to come and take that motor off you hands :o

The color is amazing
                            89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
                            I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

Did you use the spring tool on the eccentrics while adjusting?

Also, if you're getting a lot of valve noise after an adjustment (assuming it was done right), you probably have worn valve guides.
                              Yep used the tool as well. The thing is, when I got the car, the head looked CLEAN. Like it had just been redone. I don't know, though. I have a feeling that maybe the eccentrics have flat spots, so maybe they're not keeping the valves within spec.
                              88 325i Cabrio
                              04 Neon SRT-4

Comment

Not gonna say that pic DIDN'T give me a slight chub.
                                88 325i Cabrio
                                04 Neon SRT-4

Comment

Working...
                                X