No announcement yet.

Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That looks like a monster and I would love that!

Originally posted by Joe G View Post
    Just give me a GT4 and I'll be happy.

Speaking of Caymans...I'm going to Race Exotics in Vegas to do 7 laps in a new Cayman GTS followed by 9 laps in the 991.2 GT3 on Thursday. So effing pumped.
    Sure, they are only ~100k haha You can find a base Cayman, or one with a blown motor in the 10-25k range, and easily spend 25k and end up with most of what a GT4 is and fix some of the questionable things that Porsche did with the GT4....

I did something similar a few years back. Its great taking the GT3 out because most of the other drivers are there just to be in a Ferrari or bright neon colored Lambo, I was out there hunting those cars down. It was a blast.

Also Joe, your sig is way too big, please do something about it
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Spent some time in the e30 after the z3 rack swap..

Even at 80+ its not insane or anything... Steering is noticeably heavier too.

Also, with the spacers placed underneath the rack, there is no bump steer.

only shitty thing is your turning radius is increased.. definitely noticed when trying to make a u turn on my street. even with a car parked on the other side, I'd do it in one shot, but not its a three point turn lol
      Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
        Spent some time in the e30 after the z3 rack swap..

Even at 80+ its not insane or anything... Steering is noticeably heavier too.

only shitty thing is your turning radius is increased.. definitely noticed when trying to make a u turn on my street. even with a car parked on the other side, I'd do it in one shot, but not its a three point turn lol

Planning on installing my e36 rack soon. Is your car a late model? If so, how did you go about opening the hole in the firewall?
        1990 325iX - sterlingsilber metallic
        1991 325i - lazurblau metallic

Originally posted by delamaize
        E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWipprSnappr View Post
          Planning on installing my e36 rack soon. Is your car a late model? If so, how did you go about opening the hole in the firewall?

Yeah it is, I used this setup.

Took one minute lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

So youre saying after the "upgrade" steering is heavier and doing U turns suck.
            Was thinking about doing it but no thanks. i don't care if i have to turn it 3 more turns for lock to lock it's a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
              So youre saying after the "upgrade" steering is heavier and doing U turns suck.
              Was thinking about doing it but no thanks. i don't care if i have to turn it 3 more turns for lock to lock it's a good thing.
              Its only noticeable when making a u turn on a residential street that has cars parked on the sidewalk.

Does fine around town, making u turns at a light..

And heavier is a good thing. My e30 rack was pretty light, even with all new tie rods and shit.

Definitely an upgrade.

Comment

Did you remove the springs and check this? Spacers on bottom moves the inner tie rod pivot (increasing bump steer). Spacers on top keep the pivot very close to stock. This guy actually tried 3 variations, on an alignment rack and agrees with my findings (although, if extremely low, this may change, we only lower cars enough to have proper roll center)....

Originally posted by benz-tech View Post
                I have read many opinons on where to place the rack spacers and they are in-fact just opinions. I have an alignment rack at work sooo, time to end the debate. Here is the sum-up:

SPACERS UNDER THE RACK-- this yeilds an incredible amount of bump-steer. Somwhere around 1.5 degrees in about 3" of upward and 2" of downward movement. PER SIDE! So if you set the toe at 0*, when you raised the car 4" it would be 1.5* and the opposite when lowering. 5-6* of toe change per side per suspension sweep. Unacceptable.

SPLIT A SPACER ON TOP AND BOTTOM OF RACK-- long story short this yeilded a bit less than 1* when moving the suspension up 4" and close to it when sagging. Again starting from 0* toe at normal ride height. Still unacceptable.

INSTALL THE SPACERS ON THE TOP OF THE RACK!!-- When doing this, the most I could get the toe to change per side was around 20min up and 20min down. 40' through the my full sweep (4" up and 3" down from my ride height) 40 min is just over half of 1 degree. IMO this is still barely tolerable but it is certainly the best of the 3 options.

I haven't driven the car too far since changing it. I have thrown it through a few bumpy turns and it is more stable. Oh that reminds me, I ran my little test with the steering wheel turned 180* just to see if that affected the measurements. It didn't.

I have H&R sports w/ e90 drop hats, so my car is not too low.
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:
                Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

My E36 M3 rack made U-turns easier. Its noticeably better :)
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                    Did you remove the springs and check this? Spacers on bottom moves the inner tie rod pivot (increasing bump steer). Spacers on top keep the pivot very close to stock. This guy actually tried 3 variations, on an alignment rack and agrees with my findings (although, if extremely low, this may change, we only lower cars enough to have proper roll center)....

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=253178
                    I did read that thread before deciding to put the spacers underneath.

I don’t think putting spacers on top is the gospel right answer nor do I think retaining the exact position of the stock rack is the best either. There may be other things at work than mean there is no 1 answer probably ride height is a big one but other parameters also probably affect this eg camber, caster, toe though maybe be second order effects . i know of people having spacers on the bottom and they say they have no bumpsteer

From I’ve researched making the tie rod angle more horizontal in the resting position is a good place to aim. I’ll be trying to do this but unfortunately I can’t put entire spacer on the bottom to test the differences because of exhaust clearance issues being RHD so can only put half either side…..

My car is on race springs w/ e90 hats, so aimed for a more horizontal position

I took my car on the highway and hit an on off ramp at ~60, which was fairly bumpy and the car was very stable.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                    My E36 M3 rack made U-turns easier. Its noticeably better :)
                    It is easier, because you don't have to sit there and turn the wheel 100 times to get the angle lol

Comment

I did read that thread before deciding to put the spacers underneath.

-digger

My car is on race springs w/ e90 hats, so aimed for a more horizontal position

I took my car on the highway and hit an on off ramp at ~60, which was fairly bumpy and the car was very stable.

It is easier, because you don't have to sit there and turn the wheel 100 times to get the angle lol

Good to know, thanks for that.
                      1990 325iX - sterlingsilber metallic
                      1991 325i - lazurblau metallic

Originally posted by delamaize
                      E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

i have a super simplified EBC tuning write up on e30tech and i really need to get at it
                        because i forgot how to do it :(

Comment

Hmm, I didn't notice any change in turning radius when I swapped racks. Still turns pretty tight. It's definitely heavier though, a bit moreso than I'd like, honestly. I think I used to have the spacers on top, and then I read something that convinced me to run with half on top, half on bottom, so I'm running that now. I have H&R Race with stock hats at the moment.

Comment

I think the heavier steering issue is more based on the fact that the rack is presumably new and being compared to an old one with 150-200k on the clock?

I put a good used 2.7 turn z3 rack on mine. I did notice it was just slightly heavier but I attributed it to the fact that my e30 rack was probably worn out?

definitely worth the trouble to change.

I rebuilt a steering rack for an 87 thunderbird turbo that I had a long time ago. there was a spring in there under a big nut that I could screw in or out to adjust the tension. I wonder if the zf rack has the same?

what of the possibility of switching out the power steering pump with one from an m30 car such as a 7 series? I assume it would pump more volume on demand?
                            sigpic
                            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                              I think the heavier steering issue is more based on the fact that the rack is presumably new and being compared to an old one with 150-200k on the clock?

I put a good used 2.7 turn z3 rack on mine. I did notice it was just slightly heavier but I attributed it to the fact that my e30 rack was probably worn out?

definitely worth the trouble to change.

I rebuilt a steering rack for an 87 thunderbird turbo that I had a long time ago. there was a spring in there under a big nut that I could screw in or out to adjust the tension. I wonder if the zf rack has the same?

what of the possibility of switching out the power steering pump with one from an m30 car such as a 7 series? I assume it would pump more volume on demand?
                              The rack taken out was a remanufactured one. It didn't even last 6 months.. and that was the second that did that..

I said fuck it and got a good used z3 rack.

Maval racks sucks ass

And I like how "heavy" it is now. The Maval rack was reaaaaaaaaaaaaaly light. I'd compare the feel now to an e46 or e39.

Also, just took the car out again and there is nooooooooooooo bump steer. Really happy with the upgrade.

Comment

The heavier feel in the rack is because of the “reducers that is built into the lines and/or built into the rack. The guy with the bronzit s52 with flares writes heavily into it in his build thread and the zhp rack differences write up on bimmerforums talk about that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X