No announcement yet.

Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a 3 ton A/C package unit from a neighbor that was going to scrap it here at the shop. Had a 2.5 split system that my friend replaced at his house which was going to be installed until the neighbor showed up with the package unit. I traded the 2.5 ton system for the package so he didn't lose his scrap, then put a plug end on it that fit my welder extension cord - total hardware cost $0.00 (had a spare male 50amp plug from the broken plasma cutter).

Welded some wheels on the package unit rolled the door down on it, and put plywood on either side to block the heat. Prior to the A/C my shop would be 94-98f (65-100% humidity), today it's 83f and no humidity! That combined with the white reflective/insulated roof coating that was applied last month, concrete ceiling temps went from ~108f max down to 89f.

I was worried about the cost, so only used it a few days in a row on the last billing cycle so I could go back and look. Most days the shop consumes about $3 in electricity during the work week ($5 on heavy welding or air compressor usage days). I actually thought the A/C would drive the cost over $300/mo, but barely broke $100 this cycle. I am beside myself it's that cheap to run an A/C that has the thermostat wires tied together so it just runs all day.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

na man when i tried to put it back in alittle fluid squirted out the seal
      seems to be ok now, but don't want to risk it. :(

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
        na man when i tried to put it back in alittle fluid squirted out the seal
        seems to be ok now, but don't want to risk it. :(
        That's what she said....
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
          were you flying southwest or American both of which I avoid like the plague
          American...

We dont fly that much and they were one of the ones my company uses so I had to use them. Cant remember the other airline my company uses.

Originally posted by Motheye99 View Post
          Glad you had fun in DC atleast. One of my favorite places to visit.
          We really only had sat to look around the DC sights. The rest of the week I was in training at my work and in the evening we would drive around.
          1990 325is
          m52b28
          3.73lsd
          g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

That is awful...had nothing but horrible experiences on American but not this bad. Glad DC was good, though.

Ezekiel 25:17
            Current flame: E30 318iS Alpinweiss II slicktop / LSD - Joanne
            The old man: 1970 2002 Polaris(ish) slicktop / rat rod - Wallace
            The ex: E92 335i 6MT M-Sport - Betty
            The heavy: 2001 4Runner SR5 Sport (3rd Gen) - Fred

Comment

Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
              We really only had sat to look around the DC sights.

That's enough to see where you'd like to go. We only had three days there and barely scratched the surface.

Yeah, I've only had bad luck with American as well.
              I do things.

Comment

My E30 has been trapped/neglected at the back of my driveway for 2 years, waiting to be freed. Today is the day.
                Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                  My E30 has been trapped/neglected at the back of my driveway for 2 years, waiting to be freed. Today is the day.
                  Freedom!
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                    Pics or it didn't happen!
                    My previous build (currently E30-less)
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Today was supposed to be a half day for us, but my boss wont let us leave until 1pm. It will be a 5 hour day so Im not complaining.

Its so slow here though and since Im off on Friday and Monday Im not adding anything to my workload. Im basically done right now, but going to sit here and get paid for the next two hours lol
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

^Nice to be getting paid for sitting!!!

Anyway, don't know where else to ask but on R3V, thinking of getting a 4 cyl E36 as daily short commute and run around. Any particular questions to ask, anything thing to look out for?

Like for an M20, the first question is "When last has the timing belt been replaced?", that kind of stuff.
                        1990 325i
                        2004 330i Individual 6-speed
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IceWhite View Post
                          ^Nice to be getting paid for sitting!!!

Anyway, don't know where else to ask but on R3V, thinking of getting a 4 cyl E36 as daily short commute and run around. Any particular questions to ask, anything thing to look out for?

Like for an M20, the first question is "When last has the timing belt been replaced?", that kind of stuff.
                          haha there was a picture from an old job that said I spent too much time on "ARR THREE VEE" haha

...On the E36 front, Thats an M44 so I think it has most of the same issues as the M42. I want to say its mostly timing component related, but thats about all I know..
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

Timing Stuff is what I also guessed. More like chain guides and/or tensioners. But, I think I know much, much less then you. LOl!
                            1990 325i
                            2004 330i Individual 6-speed
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                              Today was supposed to be a half day for us, but my boss wont let us leave until 1pm. It will be a 5 hour day so Im not complaining.

Its so slow here though and since Im off on Friday and Monday Im not adding anything to my workload. Im basically done right now, but going to sit here and get paid for the next two hours lol
                              It's always weird to me when bosses do that. Makes no sense in my brain.

If nothing is going on and one of our employees wants to leave early, PEACE!
                              My previous build (currently E30-less)
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

This reminds me of the last co-op term I did, the power went out around 9:30am and they had us hang around until around 1 before they finally decided we could leave.
                                All the trades guys got to leave at 10:30 but they kept us waiting and sent out a memo telling everyone to be as productive as possible lol.

We cleaned for 15 minutes and then crammed everyone in the board room to play Pictionary
                                Originally posted by priapism
                                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                                Originally posted by shameson
                                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Working...
                                X