No announcement yet.

Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We would SEE it in 8min after detonation, but years for the pressure wave. Without going into a lot if thought, we would probably be dead in the same 8min since the Earth's magnetic field would be overpowered by the non visible radio active particles that still have the ability to travel at light speed.

People don't realize how large the cosmos is. If Earth was the size of a marble, the sun would be a beach ball, the solar system would be seven miles across at that scale (only including planets, not the Ort cloud).
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

john@m20guru.com
      Links:

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

8 mins
        I dont think we'd die immediately after seeing it explode... but not long after
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

so if we see it explode 8 mins later, then that would mean that there would be no more sun thus no more light...then the moon would also disappear...
          1990 325is
          m52b28
          3.73lsd
          g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

I dont think we'd die immediately after seeing it explode... but not long after
            Seeing a solar flare caused the blackout in the Quebec, pretty sure a Nova would destroy us in short order. The Earth magneto can only deflect so much radiation, hence the Northern Lights. Seeing it took 2 days for the Quebec blackout to happen after a solar flare in 1989, doubt we would be around much longer than that (quite memorable since that the year I moved to FL from New England). I mentioned the shock wave just because it's a fun thought experiment to show just how far away the Sun is, and how fast light (as well as radio, gamma, x rays etc) travels. The Moon is 240k miles from earth and it took the Apollo 3 days to get there traveling 24k mph, going to the Sun at that speed is something like 11yr.

There was a solar flare in the 1800's where entire telegraph infrastructure was shorted out, even causing fires int he Northern Hemisphere. Something like that today would wipe out every electronic device in it's path, including satellites.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:

Comment

There would still be PLENTY of light... Novas/Supernovas are extremely bright. There would be so much light that everything on earth would cook or just be radiated to death.

Comment

Yea pitch black. likely get extremely cold. Probably fairly quick too (I was responding to TexJ)
                Last edited by 2mAn; 02-26-2020, 03:22 PM.
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

OMG the posts coming in bout this subject are not in order, and funny to read. Yes, Will, more than just "light" in conventional thinking of visible light. Basically it would be a giant microwave oven.
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                      Yea pitch black. likely get extremely cold. Probably fairly quick too (I was responding to TexJ)
                      A supernova remnant is typically a white dwarf, so there would still be light/heat for the Earth after the supernova. It's just that by that time the Earth would be a scorched cinder like Mercury is now.

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                        OMG the posts coming in bout this subject are not in order, and funny to read. Yes, Will, more than just "light" in conventional thinking of visible light. Basically it would be a giant microwave oven.
                        Solar flux at the Earth's orbit would jump from 1500 W/m^2 to... 10,000+? 100,000? Everything would just cook.

Comment

This nova stuff is silly. Our sun would first begin to physically expand, possibly to the orbit path of earth, but also possily altering the orbits of the planets, mind you it will probably take about 5B years to start this and another 5B to expand fully. If earth is somehow not destroyed or released from orbit it the sun would then collapse, probably rapidly, and over the next .5B years would probably become one of several types of dwarf stars.

That's of course forgetting that the sun does not presently contain sufficient mass to go nova (we think) in any case, and ignoring how humanity probably won't even last another %.5 of the sun's current phase time.

Comment

I do things.

Comment

If something was large enough to blow apart the sun I'd imagine the radiation it emitted would blast all of our DNA to smithereens.
                              I do things.

Comment

Im enjoying this discussion, lets keep it going.
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X