Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my bad i read that as N-54

Comment

A friend of mine bought the cheapest '08 WRX on kijiji a few months back... fast forward to today after he brought the car into a local shop for overheating issues and oil leaks - estimating 6500-8500 to fix everything that's wrong. So I guess that backfired.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Wouldnt it be easier/ cheaper to just yank that POS motor and swap in a JDM low mileage one
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

yeah but we don't know a ton about it. There are some sort of EJ205 2.0 engines w/ turbo for $2k plus freight from Toronto, but I don't know how it compares or if you can buy EJ20 stuff in NA?

Apparently the car was swapped with an EJ257 at some point, so rebuilding it might be good, depending on what parts are facked.
          Supposedly the turbo is blown, RMS blew and soaked into the clutch, shavings in the oil, "needs valve guides and seats" (but engine is still assembled as far as I know)

I think we're dragging the engine back to my place when he gets back from work on friday. Figure out what we have, then weigh used jdm engine vs new parts vs rebuild. I'm hoping the heads are fine and they were just

Comment

You could encourage your friend to just take the Subaru to the scrapyard where they belong until Subaru figures out how to make horizontal engines last.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
              You could encourage your friend to just take the Subaru to the scrapyard where they belong until Subaru figures out how to make horizontal engines last.
              The EZ36 in my outback has 220k on it now, so that point must've been somewhere between 2008 and 2012 lol or I'm just lucky, because they obviously still don't last

I just realized that hiding text by colour won't work anymore because not everyone uses r3v's dark mode.
              Last edited by Northern; 02-11-2020, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post

The EZ36 in my outback has 220k on it now, so that point must've been somewhere between 2008 and 2012 lol
                Who knows, but there was clearly a quality decline at some point and it's already well out of hand. Basically, modern engines that are well maintained should not be seeing regular replacements or significant rebuild at less than 150k.

Couple that with the strong meh surrounding the brand's actual products, not to mention generally poor mileage relative to displacement/weight and I think you have a company to avoid both in the new & used markets.

That, or the H engine is fundamentally flawed, which seems unlikely.

Yes, people love their Subarus, but that does not make them good cars.

Comment

Speaking of Subarus someone offered me a 2014 Forester in trade for my Corvette.

I politely declined.
                  I do things.

Comment

Originally posted by Melon View Post
                    Speaking of Subarus someone offered me a 2014 Forester in trade for my Corvette.

I politely declined.
                    Who would even offer that trade? It simply makes no sense from almost every angle.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

Who would even offer that trade? It simply makes no sense from almost every angle.
                      "I thought you could use a nice daily" was the answer.

The conversation started off with, "Would you be interested in a trade?" so naturally I was curious.

Also, Bring a Trailer rejected my Corvette.
                      They have this listed however. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-geo-metro/
                      I do things.

Comment

Originally posted by Melon View Post

"I thought you could use a nice daily" was the answer.

The conversation started off with, "Would you be interested in a trade?" so naturally I was curious.

Also, Bring a Trailer rejected my Corvette.
                        They have this listed however. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-geo-metro/
                        Bring a Trailer is so stupid... they said they would only accept my Roadster as No-Reserve but then let another Roadster go in with a rusty frame... like rusted through ...they're shockingly dumb sometimes. See pic 54 and 66

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...0-roadster-14/
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

All the other C5's they listed in the past two years are all low mileage (<25,000 miles) examples.
                          I'm not too shocked.

If you're in the market for a C5 right now, you're spoiled for choice. It's a saturated market for sure.
                          I do things.

Comment

BaT needs to go away and let eBay do eBay.

Comment

The BaT machine is in full swing... it isnt going away. The other auction houses are such ripoffs that their model cant be beat
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

I just can't stand the wankery of their current format, and I really valued their aggregation of interesting deals, heck I even bought a car because of a BaT feature.

Comment

Working...
                                X