No announcement yet.

Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of MEME where is the sportmax one?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

I need a cheap mini truck around Philly. What should I get?

I bought a house, which is actually a huge project. I've been doing a lot of the demo work and don't have a good way to get rid of the large debris. I also plan on doing a lot of the finish work. I'd like something that fits in my garage (190" long) with enough room to lift it up for repairs. My f30 is 186 inches long, which left just enough space to get the front end on jack stands.

Due to the house project, I don't have a ton of cash that I can tie up in a truck and I don't have time for a project truck. I'm thinking that I need something under $3000. I've been looking for a first gen Chevy S10 with a 4cyl, 5-speed, short bed, regular cab. Bonus points for something with style.
      sigpic
      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

I specifically bought my short box, regular cab 95 F150 to fit in my garage at ~200" out of 232" available, but you're in a much worse spot for depth.

Any 6' bed Ranger should just fit, and equipped with a Duratec (2001 and up IIRC) and a manual they're not bad. Some people like the earlier Lima, and while it is reliable it's not fun at all, same with the four pot S10. The 4.3 S10 is a decent truck, unlike the 6 cyl Rangers.

None of the Colorados/Canyons will fit, so I'll suggest an early 90s Dodge Dakota, which at 189" is the most truck/payload you can fit. Of the two of which I've worked on and driven, both were pleasantly surprising, even as the quasi beaters that these were.

Comment

Style? S10s definitely don't have any style, decent ones also aren't under $3,000 at least in my neck of the woods. Is anything remotely cool being sold for under $3,000 these days unless it's complete junk? japanese minitrucks definitely have inflated values. Tacomas aren't even woth the price of admission; when I was looking at trucks a completely clapped junk tacoma was more expensive than my relatively nice S10 and nissan hardbody trucks were non-existent. I liked my S10 other than the dash bezel falling apart and the open diff. I also had a 4.0L OHV 5 speed explorer for a while, which is basically the same drivetrain as a ranger, and it consumed coolant and consistently fouled the number 5 plug despite good compression. I suspect it had a cracked head as is common on the 4.0s. Dakotas do have more style. I'd have a 1st gen lima powered ranger over a 4cyl S10.
          Last edited by varg; 01-09-2023, 06:49 PM.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 3-17

Comment

Rangers are cheap if you're looking at the pre 1998 models. Mine is a 4 banger short bed/standard cab and it's about 177 inches long.

It's slow, but I can do 80 on the highway which is the most important part- keeping up with traffic..

My ranger takes a relentless beating weekly and she has not let me down.. You can def get into one for less than 2k.

I've grown to love the thing. Obviously I'm biased, but for the price and the styling (1989-1992) I don't think there's any competition.

If you do go down that route- the only engine options I would opt for would be the 2.3 lima/4.0- stay away from the 2.X Cologne V6s.

With your budget, whatever you get will most definitely be a turd, but this could be you in the future lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	lWwQc6Il.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	10080631
            Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

How are things going for that clutch leg?
              Pretty good really (it's my right leg lol). Switched to a cane last week, then ditched it altogether over the weekend while I did some plumbing around the house.
              Xrays again tomorrow. It feels fine to stand/walk, but some loadings still hurt so I'm starting to think there's a little more going on in there.
              Originally posted by priapism
              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
              Originally posted by shameson
              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Unorthodox recommendation for a work vehicle: old minivan.

My old man had a Pontiac Montana and later an Uplander when he put an addition on his house, and IIRC they both fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood/drywall, plus it's enclosed.
                The short wheelbase ones come in at 187.3", LWB are like 201.x" so a little long I guess.

And there's no way you'll find one of these that isn't cheap lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                  Unorthodox recommendation for a work vehicle: old minivan.

My old man had a Pontiac Montana and later an Uplander when he put an addition on his house, and IIRC they both fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood/drywall, plus it's enclosed.
                  The short wheelbase ones come in at 187.3", LWB are like 201.x" so a little long I guess.

And there's no way you'll find one of these that isn't cheap lol.
                  I have a friend who swears by old minivans. 4x8 plywood sheet does fit inside, and he loves to brag about that.
                  My previous build (currently E30-less)
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

I daily a chevy express 3500 W duramax.. Not the cheapest costing cheap looking vehicle.. But you can always rent something to haul a 4x8 sheet if you need that once a year.

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

The problem with minivans especially as a 30-40 year old male- is you're gonna look like a CHOMO
                      Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Happy Friday, fuckers.

Comment

And teh 13th..

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

Friday the 13th, lets get weird!

Yeah, I'm definitely looking at the beater side of mini trucks. I really like the look of SOME s10/sonoma's. I guess I'm open to a ranger. A dakota would work, but it's pushing the limit of what'll fit in the garage.

The plan is to extend the garage onto the sidewalk by 44", but that's gonna be a fight with zoning to get done...
                            sigpic
                            1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                            1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                            1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

There's an S10 on your CL for $800 with a bad HG, but you can just fix that with a bottle of K Seal and enjoy beating on it.

But if you want to get weird just buy any truck that's close in size, remove the bed and add a custom tray to fit your garage. You could even do that to a truck that already fits so you can walk around it.

Comment

A blue s10 rolled thru on my street a couple weeks ago with a 90's style billet wheel. It didn't smell as bad as cigarettes I though it would have.

Example.

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
                                X