Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post

Gonna turn into the FB page where now apparently moderators don't like jokes to be made on the page.
    Perhaps, but the one or two mods we still have might as well get ahead of the curve. Besides, if a first post is nonsensical or not car related the user is probably here for nefarious reasons. Ultimately, turning off PMs also might be fun and safer for users.

Comment

Just reported two bots that necro'd a thread. Not sure what they're even here for, didn't post a link, just posting about simping for Diesel.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Usually its a few posts and if they fly under the radar they either post new spam threads or update their post with the spam links. Those other newbies do seem like real people... sort of lol
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I decided my life isn't hard enough, so I'm going to look at a Mini R56 this afternoon to rectify that.

Comment

I did a canyon run this weekend with my buddies R50 and I kinda miss mine. The R50 is slow, but still fun. Not sure the forced induction is more fun than the added headache, but thats the fun in this madness.
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

I swear I posted this yesterday, but at least it autosaved:

Haven't bought it but probably will tonight.

Engine rattles when cold, probably tensioner/guides/chain. Probably will do them in order and hopefully call that good. Engine runs/pulls nicely otherwise.
              Some oil smell after a drive, looks like a leak at the valve cover next to the turbo
              Clutch grabs very high. Still works, but desperately needs a clutch stop.
              plenty of paint chips/broken trim/rust bubbles, but around here that's par for the course for anything used thanks to all the salt/salt brine sprayed constantly from Dec-Mar.
              Chassis/steering/brakes all feel great.

Definitely not a long term keeper, but hopefully get a couple years out of it.

Comment

Nice!

I've hit 1 year with the wagon so naturally I'm looking at other alternatives. Still haven't found a need for a truck, but definitely a need for something that gets better mpg than the wagon and *gasp* maybe an automatic gearbox...

I have a few cars in mind (naturally)... I've already ruled out the GLK250, and plan to check out a few more soon. Might just hit that submit button on BaT to see if they will let me cash in on the wagon
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

I think by posting about it here, I jinxed the R56.
                  Wife wants one but decided we don't need it until we have a new kitchen and I have a garage.
                  Not really upset but I'll keep an eye out for a nicer example
                  Last edited by Northern; 11-02-2021, 07:36 PM.

Comment

How to spend $70,000 on some metal and rubber...........

Alucab Canopy Camper Installed by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Alucab CC Install Photos by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Need my front coilovers to be ready so I can lift this thing, but that won't be until the end of the year.
                    My previous build (currently E30-less)
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Man, you didnt watch the most recent High / Lo on Donut? You went extra High! lol

Northern A comment that just came up from a thread on AlfaBB that might be relevant to your near future R56 purchase...

Originally posted by Alfa Dude
                      A bit of a tangent here where I learned my lesson about wheel weights and shock absorber tuning. I was one of the first in line for the R56 MINI Cooper S in 2002. I specifically ordered mine with the "sport suspension plus" but with the 16" wheels, not the standard 17" Panasport inspired wheels. As it turns out those 16 inch "x-lites" were 7 pounds lighter than the 17" ones. I loved that car, but every time I got a loaner with the 17" wheels the ride was HARSH and the car handled worse. Yes, some of it was from the shorter side wall in the run flat tire but, after a lot of analysis from the MINI community was that the heavier sport package wheels were completely messing with the shock absorbers. The suspension damping had been designed around the lighter 16" wheels, but most of the Cooper S were sold with the much heavier 17" wheels as part of the "Sport Package". The guys at the dealer asked me several times what "mods" my car had because it handled so well...I was totally confused.

The significant hit from the added 7 lbs of rotating mass at each corner really messed up the suspension. It totally changed how the car reacted to bumps. In fact as the R56s are getting older, the shock towers are "mushrooming" or blowing out now. The ones with the 16" wheels seem ok. (I sold mine long ago - but have started looking for another one for my son, and try to look at only the 16" wheel ones)

Since then I've always been interested in the fact that we all mess with our suspensions, change shocks/dampers - but rarely talk about how the wheel weight can mess up all of the money we just put into the suspension.
                      Last edited by 2mAn; 11-03-2021, 12:47 PM.
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        Man, you didnt watch the most recent High / Lo on Donut? You went extra High! lol
                        Haha, I did catch that series. They probably raised the price of 1st gen Tacomas ~3k just by using two of em!

Unfortunately, I think this thing will eclipse the 6 figure mark by the time I hit the road. Stupid, I know, but I can't help myself.

My previous build (currently E30-less)
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                          Northern A comment that just came up from a thread on AlfaBB that might be relevant to your near future R56 purchase...
                          I can't comment on any potential purchase, but I have heard of this strut tower issue from a friend who wanted me to buy a GTI instead.
                          Not sure what the right course of action is, probably some sort of reinforcement plate on the bottom, but I'd probably look at strut bars as well.

Comment

I did a thing.

2012 R56 Cooper S, manual, 160k (km).
                            Has its issues but was happy with the year/trans/no death rattle.
                            LCI car so has the N18B16 which maybe has fewer issues, but I'm not counting on it.
                            Aftermarket catback that drones pretty bad.
                            Probably going to sink a lot of money in mods pretty soon.

It does have the 17s, and I was googling the strut tower issue, I didn't find much about it for the R56, just with the previous R53? Probably going to do a strut bar anyway.

Comment

My wife has always wanted a mini cooper.
                              1990 325is
                              m52b28
                              3.73lsd
                              g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

I almost did a thing. Glad you got it. They’re fun once you sort of the issues. I was terrified my gearbox was going to die on me and it already had the warning sign of the second gear crunch. It was a fun 3 months lol
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X