No announcement yet.

Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know what got me started but recently I've been trying to play chess again and holy crap it's kind of intense. It's been like 25 years and I am not good at it.
    My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
      I don't know what got me started but recently I've been trying to play chess again and holy crap it's kind of intense. It's been like 25 years and I am not good at it.
      Ive been wanting to start playing chess again. Maybe playing against other sh!tty players will help haha

My boss and one of my coworkers play against each other a few times a week, Im going to see what they play on and get some matches in

Are you playing online?
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Ive been wanting to start playing chess again. Maybe playing against other sh!tty players will help haha

My boss and one of my coworkers play against each other a few times a week, Im going to see what they play on and get some matches in

Are you playing online?
        yeah i just play at chess.com
        My Feedback

Comment

yeah i just play at chess.com
          Same, I'm also using the same username there if you want to play.

Comment

Nice, thats what my coworkers play on also
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

so apparently while I had the liquid courage flowing the other night. I made a date with a chick well out of my league and forgot. Blew her off and had no clue until some one I told mentioned it. now she wont talk to me. lessoned learned on that one kids. in my defense I was gone

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
              1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
              Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
              Mtech 2 turbo restoration
              Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Love playing chess. Play it and study it everyday.

Ran a team on Gameknot (2000+ ELO) until I made the switch to up my Bullet and Blitz skills on Lichess (1700 ELO) due to their very user friendly design.

Chess is incredible. It just teaches you so much and is so incredibly complex that its grip is never-ending.
                My previous build (currently E30-less)
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Finally started playing on chess.com Im quite unorganized right now
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post

Love playing chess. Play it and study it everyday.

Ran a team on Gameknot (2000+ ELO) until I made the switch to up my Bullet and Blitz skills on Lichess (1700 ELO) due to their very user friendly design.

Chess is incredible. It just teaches you so much and is so incredibly complex that its grip is never-ending.
                    heh, I'm like 650 elo. I get such bad tunnel vision and end up making a stupid move. It's a game that exercises your ability to plan ahead for all possible outcomes, which is a skill that you certainly need in real life.
                    My Feedback

Comment

ELO? ... Im DOMINATING the Beginner level Computers so far. Its certainly not helping my work productivity today, but then again the world is going to end tonight when ***** wins anyways so who cares lol
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

I'm doing some N54 work today and N5x series engines use a lot of TTY alloy bolts on the pan and such and I had a few extra new bolts to play with. I took an m8 alloy TTY pan bolt and sent it into a metal nut to see just how much it could take

For reference, an M8 alloy TTY bmw bolt is 6 ft lbs and anywhere from 60-180* depending on the length. The one on the bench test was 112, so it was going to take the full 180 swing after the initial set.

To my surprise it never twisted off on the bench. It took so much force it ended up stripping the metal nut... wow wasn't expecting that

Every time I do a pan, it really does feel like you're going to break the head off one of those, so now I can rest assure when I get the dial gauge on the head I'm not going to see it fall off when I give it the beans.
                        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                          ELO? ... Im DOMINATING the Beginner level Computers so far. Its certainly not helping my work productivity today, but then again the world is going to end tonight when ***** wins anyways so who cares lol
                          Elo is the last name of Arpad Elo, who came up with the rating system that determines how each of two players ratings are effected when they play each other.

It's a common way to rank your skill. In classical time format, Magnus Carlsen has the highest elo, which hovers around 2850. Grandmasters usually come in around 2500+

Different time formats have different elo's. Classical games can take hours and hours. Rapid games are usually 3 minutes + 2 seconds per move, and last much less time.

Dominating beginner computers is pretty good, especially if you have little practice. You may be a natural. Or your beginner computer is only 800 elo. Haha

Comment

heh, I'm like 650 elo. I get such bad tunnel vision and end up making a stupid move. It's a game that exercises your ability to plan ahead for all possible outcomes, which is a skill that you certainly need in real life.
                            In all seriousness, how does someone with an elo of 650 play? If your opponent opens with 1. e4 do you respond with 1. ... a7 or h6 something like that?

What form of time control are you playing?

At 650 elo I know you are simply missing some beginning principles that help you in the openings. I envision you probably lose the game by the third move.

You just need to prepare for the most likely move by your opponent, and this is where beginners fail most often.

Comment

Dominating beginner computers is pretty good, especially if you have little practice. You may be a natural. Or your beginner computer is only 800 elo. Haha
                              Thanks for explaining that, Im pretty sure the opponent was ~800 and Im around 650 haha
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

In all seriousness, how does someone with an elo of 650 play? If your opponent opens with 1. e4 do you respond with 1. ... a7 or h6 something like that?

What form of time control are you playing?

At 650 elo I know you are simply missing some beginning principles that help you in the openings. I envision you probably lose the game by the third move.

You just need to prepare for the most likely move by your opponent, and this is where beginners fail most often.
                                Nah, I wouldn't respond like that. I try to build a pawn structure but then what happens is mid game things will be going ok until some flagrant blunder loses me my queen or something. Reminds of when I'd take a math exam and despite doing everything correctly I'd forget to put the negative sign somewhere or write 'cos' instead of 'csc.' That constant absent-mindedness is why I gave up wanting to become an engineer. Anyway, I've only played about a dozen games so far to see where I'm at and get a feel for it, sometimes just trying random things to see how it plays out. I've watched a few grandmaster games for inspiration but right now I'm just interested in experimenting and learning for myself what the dummy moves are. I've had a couple games where I ran into time issues but I think I'm okay in that regard.
                                My Feedback

Comment

Working...
                                X