No announcement yet.

Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I welded up the E34 oil pan for my 4dr, but I bolted it to an old 24v block while I did as much of the welding as possible.

I sealed with the stock (rubber+metal) gasket, but with block/pan faces cleaned up and scuffed with green scotchbrite & acetone.

I used red RTV (lol) on my silver car and it hasn't leaked in the past 6 or 7 years.
    I used ultra grey on my 4dr with the welded pan, and we'll see how that works whenever I finish it.

I agree that hondabond/FIPG > Ultra grey > black RTV > other RTV, but I just use whatever is open, clean everything well, and wait an hour before cranking down.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      IMO, good RTV, like Permatex Ultra Black should be used more to take up little surface imperfections and possibly as a tacky substance to hold gaskets in place. A mere light coating should do the job, and more is often worse. The downside is the PITA at removal time in the future, but power tools have made that much easier.

Also, cork gaskets are almost always trash, so good that you avoided that, although I admit that I didn't know BMW used them on E30s.
      Cork gaskets seem to be the most available through online parts sites, only a few places list the paper gaskets.

I think I resealed this oil pan back in 2018 using a light coating of Permatex Ultra Black on both sides of the paper gasket. It looks like the pan never leaked (except for the crack). Actually, I took out all the bolts and then still had to pry the pan off the block. The gasket stayed on the pan and 99% of the goop came off the block. So just a quick scrap with a razor blade, rub with grey ScotchBright, and wipe with acetone to clean. It was super simple.

I read the containers at the parts store: Ultra Black is for oil environments and stays soft for loose fitting applications on old cars, Ultra Grey is also oil resistant, but is for solid/tight fitting applications on newer cars.

I think I overapplied the Ultra Black because I got some ooze on the outside (finger tight and then immediately torque to spec), which means there's ooze in the pan too. Hopefully it'll cure and wont break free and clog the oil pump or a passage.
      sigpic
      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Just purchased a 1 owner e39 525i stick.

super clean woooo
        Originally posted by wholepailofwater
        Q
        :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
          Just purchased a 1 owner e39 525i stick.

super clean woooo
          Dang it, a clean E39 is hard to beat, even if it's not quite the best of breed 530i.

Comment

Dang it, a clean E39 is hard to beat, even if it's not quite the best of breed 530i.
            Yeah I miss my 530i so much.. The stick is a fair compromise I hope...

Got it for 750 bucks lol... Me happy. Just needs a battery and fix a wire in the trunk for the actuator.

1 german owner.. I just did the clutch on it a year or two ago too including the flywheel.

100k on the clock

YEE deals are still out there.... Now I have too many cars
            Q

Comment

Yeah I miss my 530i so much.. The stick is a fair compromise I hope...

Got it for 750 bucks lol... Me happy. Just needs a battery and fix a wire in the trunk for the actuator.

1 german owner.. I just did the clutch on it a year or two ago too including the flywheel.

100k on the clock

YEE deals are still out there.... Now I have too many cars
              Wowza. On the other coast I haven't bought anything in over a year, deals are seemingly nonexistent around DC.

Comment

Wowza. On the other coast I haven't bought anything in over a year, deals are seemingly nonexistent around DC.
                I just got lucky.

Funny, I was eyeing this car for a while and it just fell in my lap this morning. Very stoked on this car.. Finally, a reasonable daily driver.
                Q

Comment

howdy
                  Q

Comment

howdy

Comment

MrBurgundy When are you going to start selling cars?
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        MrBurgundy When are you going to start selling cars?
                        N E V E R

jk

I do actually need to get rid of some cars that are a waste of space for me..

the C280 MINI and Jetta gotta go.. I'm just lazy and hate selling cars... that's 15k just sitting there..

My dad is DDing my avalanche so that leaves me with a lil three car setup. The Ranger, e30 and e39, which I'm stoked on. plus the 500SL vert e30
                        Q

Comment

Sell me the vert you sneaky bastard! ... for cheap too ... I will help you sell the cars the vert can be my commission. win-win
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

In on that E39 for 1.5k, or one Pshop of you and the "GF."

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                              Sell me the vert you sneaky bastard! ... for cheap too ... I will help you sell the cars the vert can be my commission. win-win
                              lol

u wish bish

You'll just sell it in two weeks and buy some weird car

That's a car I'll keep forever. I bought it for 400 bucks back in high school and it runs like a champ. You need something more broken
                              Q

Comment

lol

u wish bish

You'll just sell it in two weeks and buy some weird car

That's a car I'll keep forever. I bought it for 400 bucks back in high school and it runs like a champ. You need something more broken
                                NO!!! I need an open top car again... it might be an R129, but I think a Vert with metal bumpers would be perfect!...
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X