Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
    I don't understand, why does having a car paid off mean you have to replace it?
    Because I've wanted to get rid of it forever, and she's wanted to switch for the past two years. This thing has zero creature comforts. More road noise than I've ever experienced on a car before, no AC/power windows/locks/cruise is annoying on a car that's so "new".

After this winter, the car also has some bulges on the seam inside the rear wheel arch, and I think we've all seen enough rusty Mazda 3's to know where that story ends. I don't think it'll last another year before rust starts to poke through everywhere, and it has a fresh 2 year inspection, so now seems like a good time to get rid of it.

Currently there are 7 "06-09" Mazda3's listed here, for $2500~5700, all with fewer KM's and with AC/PW/PL goodies. Average asking price is ~4k, so I don't think I'm low, especially if I want it to move. We paid 15k, which worked out to like $21k after tax/fees/registration/interest over term. It was not a good deal at the time.

I realistically can't have a car payment while in school, or else I'd look at newer stuff. The ~164 b/w that we'll not be spending on the mazda's payment will probably just offset the $400/mo we won't be getting once my brother-in-law moves out.
    Last edited by Northern; 04-19-2017, 08:54 AM.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Ok yea. Your making car payments on something that has less luxury then an e30 lol. Id probably get rid of it for something decent too and make that last for ever

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
        Ok yea. Your making car payments on something that has less luxury then an e30 lol.
        Somehow my ZF+3.73 and 3" exhaust is more quiet on the highway than this damn Mazda. I want to say it's front wheel bearings or something, but It's not so much of a groan/bearing noise as much as road/wind. I really don't know if it's ever truly been a quiet car.

Comment

I too was going to mimic others and tell you to keep that car you are paying off, especially knowing how bad the final investment was, but fuck not having any modern day features.

I drive my abused truck everyday, but at least I have ice cold AC, seat heaters, power everything, etc.

I will tell you to find something nice, that you enjoy, and then ride that fucker out as long as humanly possible. Invest your cash into assets, not liabilities, and then before long buying any car will become an easy, quick decision.
          My previous build (currently E30-less)
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Nonsense Thread

I've always been against car payments and though I've had them here and there in the past, I finally buckled a little while ago and bought a 08 C350. New enough to have nice creature comforts but not new enough that it tries to drive for me. Payments low enough and I'm paying extra every month to get it paid off ASAP. I've thought about getting rid of it several times but after a few mods and driving it over a year it's grown on me.

I've also heard these 3.5L V6 motors are pretty fool proof so I plan to drive it into the ground. And if it really grows in me there's a C400 Braubus conversion that isn't worth the money but sounds really good when you're dreaming lol

I really don't like newer cars though, Im in Germany right now and am renting a M2. Cars awesome but it sucks at the same time. New cars suck, but it did pretty well at the Ring even with summer tires in a freezing cold wet weather
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

The last new car that really appealed to me was the e82 1 series. I really regret not buying one when I had the chance, to actually own a car from day one with zero history, zero problems, and would be a sweet car that I really cared about. Plus not having to worry about maintenance for 4 years would be a treat. I've had buyers remorse with every used car I've bought because there's always been a problem with it that stresses me out. The perfectionist in me hates discovering little things that make me question the history of the car, and I end up hating the overall used condition of it.
              My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
                The last new car that really appealed to me was the e82 1 series. I really regret not buying one when I had the chance, to actually own a car from day one with zero history, zero problems, and would be a sweet car that I really cared about. Plus not having to worry about maintenance for 4 years would be a treat. I've had buyers remorse with every used car I've bought because there's always been a problem with it that stresses me out. The perfectionist in me hates discovering little things that make me question the history of the car, and I end up hating the overall used condition of it.
                Did the same thing, based on the same reasoning, for the wife's brand new (6 miles at time of purchase) Subaru Crosstrek. We have a lot of stuff going on in our daily lives and its really nice/out of mind, to have a brand new car that we know the entire history of for her to use on the daily.
                My previous build (currently E30-less)
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Over the past 5 years I've had 2 VW GTI's (MK6 and MK7) and I enjoyed both of them. I need to have daily driver that has space and is reliable, with the creature comforts of bluetooth, nav, etc. since I commute 5-6 days a week.

In February I traded the MK7 in for a dealer demo Sportwagen TDI and couldn't be happier. The milage combined with the space is great for my commute and daily life.

Given my line of work, I can't risk having my daily driver break down on me. Small business + demanding work and clients means that if I don't make a meeting due to car problems it could mean the loss of a large project and the $$$ that comes with it.

That being said, I drive my 318is to work once a week if nothing important is going on that day.
                  Steve • Toronto
                  1991 318is • Brillantrot
                  Build Thread

Comment

Last summer my car (I was making payments on) got wrecked. Before the incident, I was actually really over making payments, plus paying insurance for a sports car. A week later I get t boned, before I could climb out of the window, I was thinking to myself, "please be totaled." haha. It was and it was an awesome feeling. My friend picked me up and the first thing I told him when I got in the car is, "I'm going to get a dope e30." And I did. And now I'm saving a shitload every month without a car payment. I don't think I'd every buy a new car again for two reasons, One, like what Simon said, new cars quite frankly, suck. Two, It's a waste of money. Bought my car for 33k, three years later, my insurance was trying to give me 15k for it. If I didn't put a good sized down payment, I could have been fucked upside down.

Northern, I know you aren't looking for a new car, but, this is just my opinion, stick with the mazda. You know the history of it since you bought it new. Buying a used car in that price range is like playing Russian roulette where the gun is pointing at your dick with more than one bullet in the cylinder.

Stick it out with the mazda until you're done with school and have a decent job, then you could get something you really want without having to compromise because of your budget.
                    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

ugh deep down I know that's the right move, but I hate this car so much lol.

I think if I did front wheel bearings, rear engine mount, and strut mounts it might not be so fucking loud, and some of the weird noises would go away. There's some weird play in the trans/axle stubs also, but they've been that way for like 3 years now, so I doubt they're going to fail...

I kind of like the idea of this second gen Xterra, but I haven't got off my ass to go look at it, so whatever.

There's also one of those "Wholesale direct" places that offload trade-ins from dealerships "as-is" for pretty cheap, so the backup plan is to watch that like a hawk and get something there.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                        Yea fuck car payments. Get it paid off and keep it for as long as you can.
                        have not had payment other than day to day essentials in years, and our credit was starting to suffer due to lack of "secured debt" , so we have a car payment again, but it will be paid off in a year or less. We will then go another 6-10 years before we do that again
                        Originally posted by Fusion
                        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                        William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by Powling View Post
                          Over the past 5 years I've had 2 VW GTI's (MK6 and MK7) and I enjoyed both of them. I need to have daily driver that has space and is reliable, with the creature comforts of bluetooth, nav, etc. since I commute 5-6 days a week.
                          Then why the VAG garbage?

Comment

Originally posted by Hooffenstein HD View Post
                            Then why the VAG garbage?
                            Have you actually driven or owned a newer VW product? I daily a MK7 GTI and it is nothing but reliable. Same with the girlfriends Tiguan.

Don't believe the hype

Comment

One of my good friends has a Passat and has had problems with the VAG and maf/o2 sensors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
                              I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

Originally posted by skateimitation View Post
                                Have you actually driven or owned a newer VW product? I daily a MK7 GTI and it is nothing but reliable. Same with the girlfriends Tiguan.

Don't believe the hype
                                Timing chain failures
                                Piston slap/oil consumption
                                Turbo failures
                                DSG DiSinteGrations
                                intake manifold flaps

I can't think of any other manufacturers that consistently need complete engine replacements at less than 100,000km but okay, keep drinking that Kool Aid.

Comment

Working...
                                X