No announcement yet.

Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone out here is selling an E36 M3/4/5 with a clean title for $3800 and I'm so tempted to pick it up. Do I need another car? Not really, but an M3 for that price is a steal. I just don't have room for it, the 914 and the vert.

Question is...do I want to deal with M3 maintenance costs or E30 maintenence costs? Somebody school me and talk me out of making a dumb mistake.
    "Leafeon" '92 Lagunengrun 325i Vert (Daily Driver/Project)
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=366044
    The stickers make it go faster. :nice:

Comment

performing maintenance on an e36 engine fucking sucks great big dirty sweaty horse ballz!

starter? fuck!
      oil pan? Fuck!

anything under the intake manifold? yup, you guessed it.

id stick with the e30 personally. i really despise the e36 with the inner core of my being.

so...there is bias i'll give you that. they still suck to work on though....

/rant. carry on.
      sigpic
      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

^
        The 318ti doesn't seem so bad to work on, with engine mounts being the only really problematic item that I have seen so far.

Even so, your post did make me think about how difficult an S52 swapped ti might be to work on.

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
          performing maintenance on an e36 engine fucking sucks great big dirty sweaty horse ballz!

starter? fuck!
          oil pan? Fuck!

id stick with the e30 personally. i really despise the e36 with the inner core of my being.

/rant. carry on.

Ha and you haven't even replaced the blower motor and windshield wiper motor yet! Those are so fun lemme tell ya

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post

starter? fuck!
            oil pan? Fuck!

/rant. carry on.
            Not really any harder to do a starter motor on an E36 than an E30. Edit. It's probably easier because later starters are threaded while the M20 starters require nut and bolt.

M50/M52 intake manifolds also come off and go back on in about 30 seconds unlike the M20 piece of crap with the annoying "bitch tube".

Air filters slide out and back in. Oil filter is in an easy to reach spot without making a mess.
            Last edited by Hooffenstein HD; 05-27-2017, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooffenstein HD View Post
              Not really any harder to do a starter motor on an E36 than an E30. Edit. It's probably easier because later starters are threaded while the M20 starters require nut and bolt.

M50/M52 intake manifolds also come off and go back on in about 30 seconds unlike the M20 piece of crap with the annoying "bitch tube".

Air filters slide out and back in. Oil filter is in an easy to reach spot without making a mess.
              Agreed. E36s are just as serviceable as e30s, if not more so. Having a hood that opens normally to access the front of the engine is pretty nice.
              My Feedback

Comment

Nonsense Thread

Starters for 6 cyl bmw are always a bitch. But I agree, I like working on m5x and n5x engines. The serviceability isn't too bad.

Except those new electric water pumps and thermostats. Those can be a bitch depending on the model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
                  Agreed. E36s are just as serviceable as e30s, if not more so. Having a hood that opens normally to access the front of the engine is pretty nice.
                  Well, begging you gentleman's pardon, but I have to completely disagree. We bought a 98 328i for our step daughter. It did NOT have a threaded starter. Some fuck stain rounded off one of the Torx bolts so I spent 3 days of hell getting the piece of crap apart. Even if it wasn't rounded off, there is still no fucking way to get to it. I have a full set of snap on tools with flex extensions and the works. I'm pretty sure my problem wasn't any lack of experience or lack of the correct tools on my part.

Intake manifold? Had to come off. Exhaust? Had to take it apart at the back end and drop it down in order to get to the transmission mount. Transmission mount? You guessed it. That had to come apart too so I could drop the back end down 4" or so. All that just to replace a starter? Fucking horse shit!

Ever try to get you hand under the intake manifold on a 6 cyl e36 to work on anything? Impossible!

The oil filter as mentioned above I agree wth.
                  sigpic
                  Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                  92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                  88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                  88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                  87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                  12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Fuck, that does sound like a bitch of a time.

Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

+1 to this. 24v seems much easier to remove stuff for access, and placement of stuff like the OFH is much more convenient than the older stuff. Oil pan sits much higher too, so good luck cracking one in the first place.

To be fair, if it were an M20 some fuck stain could still have rounded off the starter bolts.

I will definitely agree that the 24v exhaust manifolds suck dick. The switch from 12 M8 studs to 24 M7 studs makes everything suck.
                      Originally posted by priapism
                      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                      Originally posted by shameson
                      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Ever since I got back from my Euro trip I've been quietly thinking about the Z4. Something about it seemed like the modern GT car that wasn't crazy expensive. Mind you, I love clownshoes so it's natural for me to like the "ugly" Z4 coupes too. My biggest complaint was weight but I recently found a 07 3.0si and so I've been researching them and they actually weigh "only" 3080lbs which by today's standards is pretty good.

So I've been reading about the N52B30 motor and it seems like it's a solid motor and with a tune I'll be at close to 300 ( more like 275 or so) but there's no real info out there.

What are your thoughts and opinions on this car?
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I happen to love the z4 and clownshoes. With a tiny bit of work the z4's can look epic.

89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
                          I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

Z4s are awesome looking! The M Coupe is the one I fawn over the most. I want to get one in Sepang Bronze with M3 Competition wheels.

Too bad they're so rare.
                            "Leafeon" '92 Lagunengrun 325i Vert (Daily Driver/Project)
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=366044
                            The stickers make it go faster. :nice:

Comment

Nonsense Thread

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                              Ever since I got back from my Euro trip I've been quietly thinking about the Z4. Something about it seemed like the modern GT car that wasn't crazy expensive. Mind you, I love clownshoes so it's natural for me to like the "ugly" Z4 coupes too. My biggest complaint was weight but I recently found a 07 3.0si and so I've been researching them and they actually weigh "only" 3080lbs which by today's standards is pretty good.

So I've been reading about the N52B30 motor and it seems like it's a solid motor and with a tune I'll be at close to 300 ( more like 275 or so) but there's no real info out there.

What are your thoughts and opinions on this car?

I love that engine, but that engine is prone to lifter problems and the water pump is expensive to replace, which fails around 75k to 90k miles.

Comment

The dealership was closed today and my boner went soft. Im over it.... in other news, a few months ago I made an impulse buy of a bunch of old Datsun Roadster LSDs, rear ends and some rare diff aligning tool from an old racer who was moving to South Dakota. So far Ive doubled my money back, I still have the one part I actually wanted and if I sell this old VW motor Ive been lugging around I will be tempted to use that profit to buy the Datsun. Someone talk me out of it!
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:
                                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                                X