Let's talk about work place ethics I.E Time clock fraud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk about work place ethics I.E Time clock fraud

I'm dealing with a bit of a tricky situation currently at my job. Alittle back story first...I was hired on at this rapidly growing bicycle company for knowledge and expertise in setting up a warehouse and shipping logistics. They already have a "warehouse manager" who's about as qualified as his 3yr old daughter who freely runs about the warehouse. It's an absolute shit show in here, missing product, zero and I mean ZERO organization. A total free for all. The workers are all spanish laborer's who haven't the slightest clue what they're shipping and are terrified of this guy because he threatens them with firing if they don't do exactly what he says. I come in and attempt to get this place in order and am met with horrible resistance from him even though upper management is pushing for my ideas, he would purposely step in the way and tell the guys if they went with my plans they'd be fired...guess who won that? Not me. Fed up with it I've gone to management numerous times with little success and just stopped awhile back and started looking else where for work.

Fast forward to this past Monday. I've long since questioned this idiot since he always seems to be working crazy overtime and nothing was ever getting done. Our accountant who runs pay roll has asked me before if he was actually working those hours but could never prove it. On Monday I was here at 7am, he rolls in around 8:15 and after everyone else, pretty normal really. We use an online system to clock in and out and when I went to punch out for lunch I happened to notice he had only been clocked in for 10 min less than me, knowing that was screwy I checked the cameras. Sure enough you can see him driving up well past 8 and he clocked in and manually back logged his hours to show he was here at 7. I took screen shots of the video stills and time clock for proof. He left at 4 and I was here till 5 and while he clocked out at 4, I could see where he manually upped his clock out time to 5pm. Having some actual photographic proof of this I sent it to operations manager and accountant. After digging deeper into it they found that last week alone he manually entered an extra 14hrs of overtime...he only works maybe 8 hours a day. Digging further into they discovered he has done this EVERY SINGLE DAY for as far back as our online time sheets allow us to look. Easily $10-15K worth of hours he never worked just this past year. The operations manager and accountant went straight to the upper guys and president with this...hoping they'd can him and I could finally accomplish what I was hired on to do, I was actually pretty excited.

NOPE, all he got was a stern warning and told to not do it again. The same talk I got when I forgot to clock out for a lunch a few times. I'm at a loss for words, he could probably have criminal charges brought against him and they're just brushing this off as a screw up. I've been debating all day just walking out, or better yet just taking a bunch of inventory since theft is apparently nothing to be punished around here. I just wanted to share to see if I'm alone in thinking this is completely asinine.
    91 318is M50 swapped
    05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Nope, you're not alone. That is completely asinine.
    Instagram
    sigpic
    Current: 99 M3
    Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

Comment

Complete bullshit. Unless the money is ridiculous for you, I'd find elsewhere to work. A company like that won't grow much.

Originally posted by blunttech
      Dude this is r3v. 20 bucks gets you a used timing belt or a low mileage head gasket

Comment

Originally posted by mrcheezle19 View Post
        Complete bullshit. Unless the money is ridiculous for you, I'd find elsewhere to work. A company like that won't grow much.
        Nope, it's a fair wage but could be replaced elsewhere. Going to meet with my boss this week and give them the Me or Him decision.
        91 318is M50 swapped
        05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread

Comment

Ya that's fucked up.

Does your company have written policies regarding this? In the world of business, it usually doesn't count unless it's in writing. See what you can find regarding clocking in/out, padding hours, discipline, etc. If you can show that his verbal warning doesn't match the written policies, you've got a firm case.

Also, is your company independent? Or is it owned by a parent company? If it's the latter, you could go outside your building to a corporate HR person and file a complaint.

Comment

Wow that's some bullshit. Have deff fired people over less then that. GL with your boss. Now the question everyone wants answered....what bike company do you work for?
            sigpic
            Rescued 1986 325e Coupe
            1988 325ix Touring 5spd currently being rescued
            Ottawa, Ontario, Canada :finger:

Comment

Why the hell won't they fire the guy!?!?! WTF if it were my company he would be paying back that money! Or in prison! Completely asinine.
              -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
              08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
              318iS, slow build/garage queen...
              '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
              Originally posted by roguetoaster
              Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

What everyone else said, and yea grab me a bike too.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                  Ya that's fucked up.

Does your company have written policies regarding this? In the world of business, it usually doesn't count unless it's in writing. See what you can find regarding clocking in/out, padding hours, discipline, etc. If you can show that his verbal warning doesn't match the written policies, you've got a firm case.

Also, is your company independent? Or is it owned by a parent company? If it's the latter, you could go outside your building to a corporate HR person and file a complaint.

Good call. I'll look in the employee handbook. It's private, relatively small and fairly new.
                  91 318is M50 swapped
                  05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread

Comment

I'd say take it to HR. There's no reason this scuzzball should be running the joint.
                    "Leafeon" '92 Lagunengrun 325i Vert (Daily Driver/Project)
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=366044
                    The stickers make it go faster. :nice:

Comment

something tells me that scuzzbutt is friends with someone in upper management or on the executive level... or went to school with them or something. that's the only explanation i can think of.

welcome to corporate 'Murica!

Comment

So that's where all my kickstarter money went?!? I want my damn free range, ethical kill, bamboo bike parts!

Comment

Normally it’s a verbal, than a written and finally termination!! You need to read you company handbook and their policies. My understanding is that falsifying timecard can lead to employment termination.
                          What’s you tile and his title if you don’t mind me asking?

Save the records and proof you have……you never know you might needed

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_S View Post
                            After digging deeper into it they found that last week alone he manually entered an extra 14hrs of overtime...he only works maybe 8 hours a day. Digging further into they discovered he has done this EVERY SINGLE DAY for as far back as our online time sheets allow us to look. Easily $10-15K worth of hours he never worked just this past year.
                            This absolutely terrible internal control. There should be a clear separation of duties so an employee can't change his time without payroll knowing about it. Like wise payroll should be 'audited' by accounting or HR so that you can't embezzle money like this. I don't see why payroll can't cut him off.

The fact that the owners/CEO don't care makes me question the legitimacy of the business, or your story. It's either blatant unabashed nepotism, or a bull shit story. I can't see payroll or an accountant just let it slide unless they are getting handys from the owner under the table.

Originally posted by E30HV View Post
                            Normally it’s a verbal, than a written and finally termination!! You need to read you company handbook and their policies. My understanding is that falsifying timecard can lead to employment termination.
                            What’s you tile and his title if you don’t mind me asking?

Save the records and proof you have……you never know you might needed
                            If the owner doesn't want to fire him he doesn't have to fire him. If the owner wants to give him a raise he can give him a raise. The employee handbook can be thrown out the window whenever the owner wants. It's not an employment contract.

Comment

So, way more is going on here than what meets your eye. The bamboozler in question has upper management over a barrel, for past transgressions on their part. I would leave with the quickness. Sounds like a completely toxic workplace.
                              I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

Working...
                              X