No announcement yet.

Hard to let go of your E30?...*emotions/feelings inside*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your trying to get the correct h35 cluster for that car. I might be able to help ;)

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

I even felt bad selling my stripped parts car.
      I think it's because I had plans for it before I discovered the terrible rust.
      Pretty sure I went through some of the stages of grief before I decided the car couldn't be saved.

Comment

Keeping the e30.

Picked up the volvo 245 wagon either way.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
        Originally posted by flyboyx
        i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

What year is it?

My first car was an identical 81 245 DL in poop brown (darker than yours).
          Same trim, but yours seems to have a bit of rust on the fender (possibly more?).

On the upside, there's no rust on the tailgate (common to rust around the window seal).

Not sure if you've owned one of these before, but after working on the BMW it'll really make you appreciate the same-year BMW's in terms of build quality. Especially the interior plastics. Most of which are unobtainable from Volvo (and have been for the last two decades!).
          If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

It's an 83 gasser.
            The rust is surface only.
            I find the material quality to be superior to bmw (I know...booooooo) but comparing the two.
            The sheet metal on this wagon is thick gauge heavy. The interior in this car is mint. Like literally showroom...

Mind you it only does have 216KM (not miles) and it's been stored in a barn for the better part of 14yrs...(smells like horses like crazy in it)

Comment

It's funny you say "gasser" like the majority of them were diesel. Most think they were diesel since they all sound like crap. Only a small minority of them were actually Diesel for the Canadian market (about as many e30 m3's were built).

Hmm interesting. Maybe that's why those old Volvo's were the best for crash test safety in the 80's, easily surpassing BMW.
              I could tell the body wasn't too bad since the rear mud flaps are still intact. Most fall off ASAP as soon as the rear "butt cheeks" start to rust.

Don't worry, once you start taking stuff apart you'll understand why BMW's are rated far better. The plastics in those old Volvo's literally fall apart in your hands, especially when working in the cold.

Oh and, in for more pics!

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
                Pretty sure I went through some of the stages of grief before I decided the car couldn't be saved.
                I know exactly what you mean. I have a 240z that I bought in 2009. As I dug into it, I didn't find any massive rust holes, but I did find several little pockets of otherwise minor rust in places that would be very difficult to fix. I still have it. Can't bring myself to scrap it. It's an early chassis though.

My Jeep sat outside in NJ under my neighbors tree from about 1980 until 2007. Body is trashed, but I'm intent on fixing it. Mind you, I have no interest in making that one look pretty. It's a 4x4, so who gives a shit.

I had another 240z that had an even worse chassis. I had many different ideas on how to save it, including a full tubular space frame. I did eventually scrap that one though, and should have much, much sooner. It was spectacularly bad. It had serious rust, accident damage, and poorly executed prior repairs. Had some decent parts though, and also taught me a lesson in paying too much for a POS.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post

Oh and, in for more pics!
                  Pics from P.O. from last summer
                  Runs, drives, stops.
                  Paid $600.

Comment

I always see people selling then wishing they didn't on this forum.

I consider my E30 a forever car. I like it very much and have a lot of time and effort tied up in it.

IG @turbovarg
                    '91 318is, M20 turbo
                    [CoTM: 4-18]
                    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                    - updated 3-17

Comment

Nice pics OP!

I see it has the Stromberg carb. I hated working on single SU on mine (similar design). Good thing you plan on yanking the drivetrain on this anemic beast!
                      IIRC Volvo didn't upgrade the Canadian DL model to FI until about 85ish. ALL US Volvo's (regardless of trim) were FI since about 73+. Canadian Volvo's from 73-76ish were all from the US and FI. Strangely, to reduce purchase priced of their entry level cars (the DL's) they equipped the Canadian models from 77-84 with a carb that was required to run on prem fuel....Makes ya wonder what the hell LOLVO was thinking of?!?! why would a cash strapped buyer wanna spend more on fuel to make his car run as intended???! haha!

Also, why's there a dash mounted fog light button? Is that for the rear fog light? I always thought those were for the front fogs and the switch above the headlight switch was for the rear fogs....hmm

Considering the bang-up job you did with the e30, I'm very interested to see what you do with this!!!

8-)
                      Last edited by Stanley Rockafella; 03-03-2017, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                        I always see people selling then wishing they didn't on this forum.

I consider my E30 a forever car. I like it very much and have a lot of time and effort tied up in it.
                        This is the common thing that makes me thing long and hard when the urge kicks in. I want to keep developing my car because I think Ive built something special
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Have had my 91' 318is since I was 16, which is coming up on 12 years ago now (holy fuck!) It wasn't even listed for sale, I just pestered the guy who owned it enough that he eventually caved and sold it to me. It was love at first sight and I'm never letting go. I've had the thought of selling it cross my mind a few times, but I know I would regret it too much if I ever did.

Anyone else park their car in the lot and then walk backwards so you can keep staring at it because it just looks so damn good?
                          Originally posted by Dozyproductions
                          All girls fuck but not all girls fuck around with combustion engines.

Comment

Originally posted by mamzak View Post
                            Anyone else park their car in the lot and then walk backwards so you can keep staring at it because it just looks so damn good?

No, must be a homosexual thing

Comment

I don't want to give up my E30. Like 2mAn, I feel like she's become something special - she's running because my hard work and effort getting to know how to do things. It's been an experience I've enjoyed and look forward to many more.

Right now, I'm limited on funds, so can't do any crazy builds, plus it's my daily, but I keep up on maintenance, etc and keep her as nice as I can. When able though, I wouldn't mind getting a more modern engine into her, although, crazy as it might sound to some, I'd be happy keeping her with an Eta engine. For my driving, it certainly does the job, and I can have fun with it.

I would certainly regret ever having to part with my E30.
                              Estoguy
                              1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                                the only reason i would sell an e30 is to get a better one.
                                This is the correct answer. :D

Comment

Working...
                                X