It's funny you say "gasser" like the majority of them were diesel. Most think they were diesel since they all sound like crap. Only a small minority of them were actually Diesel for the Canadian market (about as many e30 m3's were built).
Hmm interesting. Maybe that's why those old Volvo's were the best for crash test safety in the 80's, easily surpassing BMW.
I could tell the body wasn't too bad since the rear mud flaps are still intact. Most fall off ASAP as soon as the rear "butt cheeks" start to rust.
Don't worry, once you start taking stuff apart you'll understand why BMW's are rated far better. The plastics in those old Volvo's literally fall apart in your hands, especially when working in the cold.
Oh and, in for more pics!
Hard to let go of your E30?...*emotions/feelings inside*
Collapse
X
-
It's an 83 gasser.
The rust is surface only.
I find the material quality to be superior to bmw (I know...booooooo) but comparing the two.
The sheet metal on this wagon is thick gauge heavy. The interior in this car is mint. Like literally showroom...
Mind you it only does have 216KM (not miles) and it's been stored in a barn for the better part of 14yrs...(smells like horses like crazy in it)
Sent from my SM-G920W8 using TapatalkLeave a comment:
-
What year is it?
My first car was an identical 81 245 DL in poop brown (darker than yours).
Same trim, but yours seems to have a bit of rust on the fender (possibly more?).
On the upside, there's no rust on the tailgate (common to rust around the window seal).
Not sure if you've owned one of these before, but after working on the BMW it'll really make you appreciate the same-year BMW's in terms of build quality. Especially the interior plastics. Most of which are unobtainable from Volvo (and have been for the last two decades!).Leave a comment:
-
Keeping the e30.
Picked up the volvo 245 wagon either way.


Sent from my SM-G920W8 using TapatalkLeave a comment:
-
I even felt bad selling my stripped parts car.
I think it's because I had plans for it before I discovered the terrible rust.
Pretty sure I went through some of the stages of grief before I decided the car couldn't be saved.

Leave a comment:
-
If your trying to get the correct h35 cluster for that car. I might be able to help ;)Leave a comment:
-
I still really regret selling my first car, a 94 320 vert (e36) especially know that the weather is improvingLeave a comment:
-
Yup, 155lbs at my fattest LOL
;)

I find the FI SV650s have a bit more power (10hp, and 5tq) over the carb'd version of pre 03's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_SV650
For the cheap purchase price, attractive styling (with full fairing) and high reliability, there's really nothing better for something to bomb around town on. Highway rides tend to be kinda tedious as the front suspension has been lowered (looks nicer and gives better aerodynamics at highway speeds), but the downside is it gets exhaustive on rides to Squamish/WhistlerLeave a comment:
-
I just sold off the first of my E30s, my Mtech2 appearance. It was actually quite easy to resolve to do that since it felt so much heavier than my early IX and 87 turbo bomb and was never as much fun to drive hard.
The bomb will leave but only because I'll be moving the drive train to a chassis that works better for me.
The IX I'm not sure I could ever sell. Too much sentimental value, the wife loves it and the whole adventure of driving across country to get it makes it special.
I used to be the same way about the Early Broncos I had, then they got sold off and they're just too pricey to get back into now. I have to wonder if regular E30s will get too expensive (like the E30 M3).Leave a comment:
-
^God, I don't look forward to the day I have to make a decision like that.Leave a comment:
-
we became grandparents about 2 months ago. also, my wife changed jobs about the same time which meant she had to turn in the company camry. all this came together as a perfect storm which made the dinan 135i m sport impractical for our new lifestyle. (i have a thread here from when we purchased it if you are curious or don't remember)
as a result we are now the owners of a 2013 X1 3.5 xdrive sport. to my wife's benefit, she was keenly aware of how much loved that 135i. she offered to let me keep it as well as getting the SUV. the problem was that i would have needed to get rid of my collection of e30's. as much as i wanted to keep the 135, it took me all of about 1 second to think about the proper answer. i was like fucking hell the fuck NO! sadly, the e82 is now missing from our stable and it brings a tear to my eye when i think about it. however, i am a lot less sad than i would have been if the e30's had gone.Leave a comment:
-
I've thought about this too. I actually went and looked at a e82, e90, and an e46. Also a GTI. Nothing really made me feel like I do behind the wheel of my e30. The four doors would be more practical with two small ones at home but it's hard to justify spending an extra 5k-10k on something that isn't as rewarding to drive and has less character. That being said if my e30 gets hit and totaled I'd probably be on the hunt for a manual e46 touring with sport package, zhp or an imola red e38 740i sport. 10 years and counting on my e30 ownership. My dad still owns his 318i he bought new in '91. I don't think he'd ever sell it.Leave a comment:
-
My car is FS right now in the PNW blog and starting to have 2nd thoughts
Just had it detailed by john Parker and it looks brand newLeave a comment:
-
Is this guy on r3v??
Now offered an e30 touring AND a mint e30 vert....
Leave a comment:
-
after a long hard thought, and some pros/cons list I'm going to keep it.
It's ridiculous, it's just a material piece...an object but there's something that draws me to it and I simply can't let it go.
does that make me materialistic?
I take a look at other projects that have gone through a TON more work (Jordans, and others) but I suppose I'm a softie afterall.
I'm going to pickup the Volvo Wagon afterall.
clean it up, bring it to stage 0, new paint and THEN after that's done...collect parts for the swap.
so once again...a brush with potential selling come and gone.
she's staying on the market for an awfully inflated price however ;-)
I sincerely appreciate all those who shared input. you guys are the best (and glad/reassured I'm not the only one who feels that way towards a car lol)Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: