Hard to let go of your E30?...*emotions/feelings inside*

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • z31maniac
    replied
    Originally posted by getouth
    What flyboy said in post#8
    I'm in a bind right now I've had one of my e30's for 6+ years and built it from nothing, I was recently told by the military I will be relocating from NC to WA and I have four cars and as nice as my E30 is it's the most likely one to chop. The reality of watching someone else drive away in it is well not actually a reality....... so what do I do?? Voluntarily parting with my e30 for another project/marque is not a reality either. Keep the car if you can . Take it from everyone here...... the car is beautiful and unique, it would be sad to realize just how much so watching someone else enjoy it. Especially after you've done so much.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pay $1300 and have it shipped across the country?

    Leave a comment:


  • Das Delfin
    replied
    Ryan, your car is fantastic. If I were you I'd only want to sell it for a better car. If you're gonna get a 240 the sedans are way better looking, but really if you want a Volvo, the way to go is a 780 Bertone.

    Either way V8 swap volvos have been done for years. Paul Newman had one. But a Hartge tribute e30 is a much more elusive beast.

    Get that touring if you're gonna sell it. And I feel the same way about my convertible every winter, and especially when it rains, but I think I've come to terms with the fact that I'm not selling it. A new car would just feel... empty.

    Leave a comment:


  • getouth
    replied
    Hard to let go of your E30?...*emotions/feelings inside*

    What flyboy said in post#8
    I'm in a bind right now I've had one of my e30's for 6+ years and built it from nothing, I was recently told by the military I will be relocating from NC to WA and I have four cars and as nice as my E30 is it's the most likely one to chop. The reality of watching someone else drive away in it is well not actually a reality....... so what do I do?? Voluntarily parting with my e30 for another project/marque is not a reality either. Keep the car if you can . Take it from everyone here...... the car is beautiful and unique, it would be sad to realize just how much so watching someone else enjoy it. Especially after you've done so much.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Leave a comment:


  • stonea
    replied
    I'll never leave the e30 family completely. However I have thought about selling or trading my 325i for something more practical like a e46, but that'll never happen.

    Leave a comment:


  • flyboyx
    replied
    i approve of this message

    Leave a comment:


  • Mr. Burns
    replied
    PLOT TWIST.

    funnily enough....an E30 touring in descent shape came up....as has a full S54 swap at a within reach price.

    I'd love to stay within the E30 family, and perhaps a Volvo 240 with LS can become a E30 Touring with S54?

    THE WHEELS OF THOUGHT ARE IN MOTION...

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Burns



    at this rate, I'm going to keep it on the market, BUT I'm not going to part with it unless I get exactly the price I'm looking at.

    .

    This has been my position lately and it's still been in the back of my mind to sell it but it's only because I just want to go vintage racing and found a suitable replacement.

    A while ago I wanted to sell the E30 and replace it with a 914. Until I drove the 914. That was an easy decision, but the thought to sell never left.

    Luckily nobody wants to give me what I want to let it go, so it's stayed with me and after a few track days it's going to be even harder to convince me that another car is better suited.

    Leave a comment:


  • N2MYE30
    replied
    I feel for ya Burns. I started this post many years ago with the same sentiments. Several years ago, I sold my 1st E30 coupe and believe me, it was tough. I wanted to get into other cars and I did, but I still had my cabrio to lean on just incase. So, to your point, buy another E30 and find out how special (or not) your current E30 is to you personally.

    Your 1st statement is a major reason why I stay in this chassis...Hey Fam. Im a car guy and hang out with types of owners of other platforms but the owners that have a connection with has been the E30 crowed. I think it goes farther than just owning E30s for 10+ years, its the people(for the most part). Good luck on your decision. You do have a special car.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mr. Burns
    replied
    Good talk fellas, thanks for sharing your experiences and stores:)

    at this rate, I'm going to keep it on the market, BUT I'm not going to part with it unless I get exactly the price I'm looking at.

    further, it'll need to be another enthusiast (mature owner)

    I'd kick myself if some kid with a fresh bank loan picked it up and r3v's it a month later while drifting in a walmart parking lot.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kevinl
    replied
    Originally posted by flyboyx
    Did you buy a parallel flow condenser and make sure to buy a specific r134 metering valve? They make a metering valve that is said to work with both freons but i can say from experience that it does not. Have you read through jt's diy air conditioning thread. If you dont have the right parts, it doesnt matter how much money you throw at it. I bought the correct parts for my mtech 2 car and i thinf the ac works great in houston. Its perhaps not as good as a modern car, but it gets cold enough that i have to turn it down even in hot summer days.
    Yep I have done all of that

    Leave a comment:


  • flyboyx
    replied
    Did you buy a parallel flow condenser and make sure to buy a specific r134 metering valve? They make a metering valve that is said to work with both freons but i can say from experience that it does not. Have you read through jt's diy air conditioning thread. If you dont have the right parts, it doesnt matter how much money you throw at it. I bought the correct parts for my mtech 2 car and i thinf the ac works great in houston. Its perhaps not as good as a modern car, but it gets cold enough that i have to turn it down even in hot summer days.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kevinl
    replied
    I have listed mine for sale several times and have been thinking about it again it needs a headgasket due to oil leak and I really don't want to do major work to the m20 but swaps seems like to much work and cost for what will still be a slow car compared to my fbo 335i

    It also bugs the hell out of me that the a/c is so terrible in it even though I have spent a ton of money trying to remedy it

    What good is a car in Phoenix with horrid air conditioning

    I will probably just keep the thing forever because I'm not gonna get enough to make it worth selling 3-4 grand doesn't go that far
    Last edited by Kevinl; 02-28-2017, 08:23 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • roguetoaster
    replied
    I will never understand why people do that with cars, let alone houses.

    Leave a comment:


  • e30davie
    replied
    I dunno how you guys operate, but generally with my cars there are always things that i've been meaning to fix, but never get around to. Then when the decision to sell it happens I fix up all the little things in preparation of selling - fixing squeeks, polishing scratches, fixing oil leaks. Then the problem is in the car is in the best condition its ever been in and you enjoy more than before, and then someone comes to buy it......

    I think for me I look back on previous cars with rose tinted glasses. I had a ke70 that i had for 5yrs, 4age conversion, sprayed it myself, all suspension and i basically learnt most of what i know by playing with that car. I sold it when i bought an S15 silvia. At the time and shortly after I regretted selling it, especially since i didn't need the money at the time. But then i went for a drive in a mates simliar ke70 with 4age a few weeks later, and man........heap of junk compared to the s15 silvia. I think some cars you are better off with the good memories than hanging onto the car for years and years.

    I wish i could have kept my suzuki sierra, but only because it was grandpas car, he bought it new in 1985. I rebuilt it completely (mechanically) and it was so great to drive grandpas car. Sold that to go travelling. But i do wish i could have kept it. Reality was it was a shocking car to daily drive, but i loved driving it cause it was grandpas old car.

    My E30, i dunno i haven't had it long enough to get that attached, only 1 year. I'm attached to the point that it gives me something to do and work on on the weekends, and its a fun car to drive to work and back. I have rebuilt the engine, so learnt alot from that, and i guess i want to get my moneys worth. Could i sell it tomorrow? probably, but it woudlnt take me long before i wanted another project to work on.
    Last edited by e30davie; 02-28-2017, 07:48 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • MrBurgundy
    replied
    Hard to let go of your E30?...*emotions/feelings inside*

    Originally posted by roguetoaster
    Sorry, it was an easily missed avatar change comment. Oh well, I'm off my game, no E30s to drive right now...


    I knew it was, but the whole "hyperbole" thing didn't click with me.


    Edit. I have a terrible sense of humor, sometimes I need jokes explained to me lol.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MrBurgundy; 02-28-2017, 07:58 PM.

    Leave a comment:

Working...