No announcement yet.

Gun Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a friend that is border patrol and he cant stand glocks. The grip angle throws him off. He grew up shooting 1911's so he is used to that grip.

My wife, doesn't like the angle either. She tried stock glocks up to highly modified glocks. Still didn't shoot as well as she did with the SIG or the M&P.

She now has a M&P.
    I have a Glock, sr1911, p365...

I won the Glock in a raffle, never thought I'd own one. But I do like it. It's a gun that has a huge aftermarket support so that I can put my own little touch to it.
    1990 325is
    m52b28
    3.73lsd
    g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

A Glock 19 was my first handgun. Not a fan of it even if I am used to it. Never liked the trigger, it feels like crap. Never like the ergos, it doesn't point naturally or feel nice in my hand. It wasn't very expensive and it is reliable, that's about all it has. There are plenty of reasons to dislike glocks imo but they aren't unsafe or bad... they're just "meh" in all aspects. I don't think it's the grip angle that makes them awkward to point for a lot of people, the grip angle is close to that of a 1911 which is something just about nobody complains about when it comes to pointing naturally. The problem is how wide and thick the grip is, it doesn't taper at the top and doesn't fit nicely in average sized hands. Unless you have some hickok45 sized mitts you're unlikely to find it a comfortable and easy pointing gun.
      Last edited by varg; 03-30-2019, 05:53 PM.

IG @turbovarg
      '91 318is, M20 turbo
      [CoTM: 4-18]
      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
      - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by Sonny View Post
        Made my first visit to a gun broker, he convinced me away from Glocks due to there safety and pointed me to a Rock Island 1911 With a 3.5" barrel.

it's not the finest or smoothest, but I love it. Lots of oil and she is amazing.

What should my next purchase be? I'm looking to stay under $500 if possible and I'm not sure if I should get 9mm or another .45, what are your preferences?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
        Whatever your next purchase is, I would be trading in that 1911 towards it. A 3.5” .45 is not an ideal first handgun platform. Your best bet is to find a friend or friends, or rent and shoot some different pistols for feel and recoil. A 9mm is a good caliber to start out with. Your .45 in 3.5” barrel is a lot of gun, especially for a beginner. I would avoid any gun shop that points you to a specific gun, instead of giving you several like models in specific caliber. (Glock, XD, M&P, VP9) avoid the guy who says this specific gun is what you want, he is preying on your lack of knowledge knowing you are new to shooting.

There are lots of valid reason to choose a different pistol over a Glock, but safety isn’t one of them. Every single firearm is dangerous, it’s up to the shooter to practice safety. In fact your 1911 in some ways is more likely to have a negligent discharge than a Glock. If you forget to engage the safety while holstering, it’s much more likely to have a accidental discharge with a 1911, where as the glocks trigger has a safety that always engages after you remove your finger from the trigger regardless of the user.

Did you express concern to the dealer over not having a traditional safety?

First you need to figure out what role you want the pistol for, before asking for recommendations. I would also recommend getting a decent .22 handgun to train with. I wish I had bought one sooner when I started out.
        Last edited by naplesE30; 03-31-2019, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by naplesE30 View Post
          Whatever your next purchase is, I would be trading in that 1911 towards it. A 3.5” .45 is not an ideal first handgun platform...
          A lot of good information in this post. I am not going to beat a dead horse so will not get into the Glock comments, but the 1911 platform is ideal in a full-size configuration and .45, and deviation will degrade reliability, sub-compacts are the most notorious in this regard.

I love the 1911, I choose to compete with it in IDPA for the added challenge (when compared to a modern high-capacity 9mm service pistol), I also like the low service intervals (because I like to tinker), but it is all about nostalgia and I absolutely acknowledge that it is outdated and an irrational choice for a pistol in this day and age. If i was going to bug out and only grab one pistol, it would be my Gen 5 Glock 19.

If you want to dive into the 1911, here's a great article from Hilton Yam, who made a name for himself in the 1911 realm, which he left for Glocks IIRC.
          http://www.10-8performance.com/pages...-Duty-Use.html

Pic of my current 1911 rig for the range (along with a phenomenal CZ which forced a 5k 9mm 1911 out the door)
          Last edited by eternal24k; 04-01-2019, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Thank you for the recommendations.
            I picked the 1911 only because when I visited the gun range , I was handed a 1911 that shot so smoothly. To my surprise the man said it's been here rented out in the range since they opened up in the 1940's

Comment

Originally posted by eternal24k View Post
              A lot of good information in this post. I am not going to beat a dead horse so will not get into the Glock comments, but the 1911 platform is ideal in a full-size configuration and .45, and deviation will degrade reliability, sub-compacts are the most notorious in this regard.

I love the 1911, I choose to compete with it in IDPA for the added challenge (when compared to a modern high-capacity 9mm service pistol), I also like the high service intervals (because I like to tinker), but it is all about nostalgia and I absolutely acknowledge that it is outdated and an irrational choice for a pistol in this day and age. If i was going to bug out and only grab one pistol, it would be my Gen 5 Glock 19.

If you want to dive into the 1911, here's a great article from Hilton Yam, who made a name for himself in the 1911 realm, which he left for Glocks IIRC.

Pic of my current 1911 rig for the range (along with a phenomenal CZ which forced a 5k 9mm 1911 out the door)

Nice nice! I've come to like my RIA but now I'm having doubts about it, should I trade up for a full size ?

Comment

Got a few emails from online vendors starting to ship normal capacity mags to the prison state of CA!

Comment

Well the guy is a army veteran and was the cheif of police here locally for around 10 years, he told me many stories of officers and there Glocks going off in there car seats. Definitely turned me away from them?

Wow, that guy is a dumbass. He sold you a gun that if you carry it cocked and locked can be more likely to have a AD than the glock, is heavier and holds less rounds. If a cop has a glock go bang in their car they had the gun out and their finger on the trigger.

Check out a cz p10c, it's a fantastic poly pistol.

Call that gun store and tell him hes an idiot.

Comment

Nice nice! I've come to like my RIA but now I'm having doubts about it, should I trade up for a full size ?

If you want to invest time in the 1911 platform and plan on really putting some rounds down it (vs owning and looking at it), then yes, the pinnacle of the 1911 is a full size .45

But If you want a low maintenance, practical carry and range blaster, handle the following polymer families and see which feel best for you (9mm will be my only recommendation):
                    • Glock (best aftermarket support, affordability of mags and parts, proven reliability)
                    • HK VP9 (Ambi mag release reliability, great pistol costly mags and less aftermarket support)
                    • CZ P10 (new on the scene, middle ground prices, great ergonomics and trigger, had issues with gen1 release)
                    • Walther PPQ (fantastic trigger, so-so prices on mags, underrated IMHO)
                    • FN 509 (don't have any time with this to really comment)
                    • S&W M&P (some love them, i don't, decent aftermarket support, the trigger will need some love)
                    Last edited by eternal24k; 04-01-2019, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mediumrarechicken View Post
                      Wow, that guy is a dumbass. He sold you a gun that if you carry it cocked and locked can be more likely to have a AD than the glock, is heavier and holds less rounds. If a cop has a glock go bang in their car they had the gun out and their finger on the trigger.

Check out a cz p10c, it's a fantastic poly pistol.

Call that gun store and tell him hes an idiot.
                      I always remind people that military and LE background credentials do not equate to being a shooter or firearms expert. There's a lot of derp among both crowds. I had a 20 year infantry 1SG that carried a Desert Eagle :loco:

Comment

To be truthful I'd sell it, dont take it to a gun shop they will give you 200 bucks for it. Go to a gun range that has a good selection of rentals. Many will let you try as many guns as you want. Ask questions here, there are plenty of guys that are knowledgeable. Get yourself a striker fired polymer gun if you plan to carry it, they are simple, safe and reliable. You dont have a safety to mess with in a high stress situation. I'm not saying 1911's are bad guns, they are fantastic if you buy a quality one, some need some tinkering to run defense ammo. I think everyone should have a 1911. I also suggest you take a handgun class, they will go over safety and proper form so that you are a good shot and dont learn bad habits.

Comment

Yeah carrying a gun as a part of your job does not equal expert. Anyone that tries to use their job title to add inches to their dick is the last person I tend to take advice from. Plus recommending a 1911 just screams fudd. Don't get me wrong, I love my 1911 and Hi Power, but I'm not going to recommend what would be considered an "experts" gun to a beginner, especially while shitting on what is realistically the benchmark handgun that all other duty handguns are measured to. There are a lot of great alternatives to Glock and good advice would be trying all that you can before choosing one.

Comment

Well I think I love it due to changing the grip itself and the mag, feels completely different but I am definitely considering the recommendations, I feel as though I made a mistake buying the 3.5" 1911 instead of the Glock he was showing me, I just didn't like that it feels so light
                            Last edited by Sonny; 04-01-2019, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Dude, if you like it, rock it, for sure!

Great 1911 info in here, word! I still love them, just don't have one at the moment for a plethora of reasons.
                              BEERTECH

Comment

Brownells semi-auto minigun $
                                https://www.brownells.com/firearms/r...rod127287.aspx

Comment

Working...
                                X