All gas-powered сars are banned in California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    Also, the only real reason we dont have the rolling 25 year exemption is because of a former Governor and he was.... Republican. Damn, I said the R-word, if only a mod could move this over to the P&R Sub- Forum then we could really have some fun
    Coming from Chicago and now living in LA, I do miss a couple things about Illinois. One is that IL has that 25 year smog exemption. Also, back when I had to take my car to the state "Air Team" location, it did not cost anything and I did not have to go on a dyno. The process run by the state was quick & easy, they scanned the paper you got in the mail and they can instantly report that you passed, you're in & out and on your way. Here in CA it's all privatized. You have a bunch of corner smog places who charge a whole range of prices, with a wide range of competency. Most around me are extra trashy and I've been quoted up to $100 because my car is an 1989/90 model.

Here's a dumb question, for all areas of the country: do states smog large freight vehicles at all? Slowly transforming the country-wide shipping industry to non-carbon vehicles should also be top priority. Man, go near Long Beaches ports and get caught up in a long line of semi's battling each other getting in and out of there and roll down your window and suck in some horrific air. It can be awful.

I know some electric vehicle companies are working on Freight. Also, no one here is mentioning hydrogen fuel-cells, but that's where this entire conversation is eventually going. We should, and will be, always able to have gas enthusiast and classic cars, but pushing commuting and freight transport to zero emissions has got to be the future.
    1990 BMW 325iC Triple Black Hard Top, Self-Wrenched, Original Owner Family

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

do it
      Its above my paygrade...
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
        If governments cared there would be a universal usage/impact tax based on road miles and tested, not claimed, emissions per mile.
        Then other cars would be favored by people.

An owner of the Toyota Tundra would pay several times more in emission taxes than an owner of the Yaris.
        Currently, Toyota has discontinued the Yaris, but sells more and more SUVs in California.

If somebody would take a 300-mile trip and each mile would cost $0.5, she would think about using Amtrak.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
          Also, the only real reason we dont have the rolling 25 year exemption is because of a former Governor and he was.... Republican. Damn, I said the R-word, if only a mod could move this over to the P&R Sub- Forum then we could really have some fun
          OMG, bannnnnnnnnn urself, like dude, man, totally. LOL (for 'burgs, who must have left his LOL at the cleaners)

Originally posted by Vincenze View Post

Then other cars would be favored by people.

An owner of the Toyota Tundra would pay several times more in emission taxes than an owner of the Yaris.
          Currently, Toyota has discontinued the Yaris, but sells more and more SUVs in California.

If somebody would take a 300-mile trip and each mile would cost $0.5, she would think about using Amtrak.
          Not sure if you understand, but a taxation scheme such as proposed would generally drive motorists in to smaller and "cleaner" cars of all types, and away from larger vehicles. In case it is not clear, this would likely be a good thing.

Comment

omg, bannnnnnnnnn urself, like dude, man, totally. Lol (for 'burgs, who must have left his lol at the cleaners)
            loooooooooooooo00000o0o000ooo000oooooolll
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

California will create zero-emission zones where classic cars won't be allowed to drive.

The state is looking at instituting “zero-emission zones” soon. The state of California is looking seriously at instituting or allowing local governments to institute zero-emission zones in the near future. In preparation for such a move, the California Air Resources Board (CARB) reportedly is gathering information about classic cars and how their owners use them. We knew something like this was coming to the US and California would likely be first, but this is still concerning. Check out anothe

Comment

California will create zero-emission zones where classic cars won't be allowed to drive.

https://autos.yahoo.com/autos/report...120000026.html
                london, england has restricted traffic in the core of the city for years now over emissions. they have now gone further and declared it a vehicle emissions free zone. commercial vehicles need a permit if using fuel, all others are banned or pay a hefty toll. the plan is to constantly expand the restricted areas further and further while creating new ones. there has been fair amount of pushback and protest over it.

Comment

Emissions are not limited to just those from a tailpipe or fuel system. Fortunately, everyone knows that EVs both levitate, and never use their brakes.

That said, humans produce emissions, we should probably ban them too.

Comment

https://autos.yahoo.com/autos/report...120000026.html
                    What if those classics have been converted to EVs? My assumption here is that the state of Cali don’t want combustion-powered classics roaming areas like LA (which have had smog problems in the past), but they’re okay with EV-powered classics doing that since they don’t emit any tailpipe emissions.

Now sure, most can’t afford an EV conversion of their beloved classic today. But that will change in a few years or so as EV batteries gradually become cheaper per kWh and more energy-dense

One thing I will say though, the odometer checking thing is extremely authoritarian (really the whole thing is, but the odometer checking part is what really sends chills up my spine). So much for “Land of the Free”
                    Last edited by ZeKahr; 09-28-2023, 04:47 AM.
                    1986 325e Schwarz (sold)
                    1989 325iX Alpineweiß​ (daily)

Greed is Good

Comment

People usually say that the gasoline-car ban applies only to new cars.

But California prepares to ban existing gasoline cars too. First, it will ban "classic" cars.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeKahr View Post

What if those classics have been converted to EVs? My assumption here is that the state of Cali don’t want combustion-powered classics roaming areas like LA (which have had smog problems in the past), but they’re okay with EV-powered classics doing that since they don’t emit any tailpipe emissions.

Now sure, most can’t afford an EV conversion of their beloved classic today. But that will change in a few years or so as EV batteries gradually become cheaper per kWh and more energy-dense

One thing I will say though, the odometer checking thing is extremely authoritarian (really the whole thing is, but the odometer checking part is what really sends chills up my spine). So much for “Land of the Free”
                        I sincerely doubt that the legislation that does ultimately get implemented will be nuanced enough to allow EV converted cars. If they wanted to do lip service to conversions while excluding them they could include something like multiple mandatory safety power cut points in converted cars which no one will be able to comply with sensibly.

A mileage tax is inevitably coming everywhere, and we can thank EVs for it, not that they're necessarily bad.

This is a society, trade restrictions for whatever that society provides, if you don't like it, try another society or implement change within your current one.

Comment

I sincerely doubt that the legislation that does ultimately get implemented will be nuanced enough to allow EV converted cars. If they wanted to do lip service to conversions while excluding them they could include something like multiple mandatory safety power cut points in converted cars which no one will be able to comply with sensibly.

A mileage tax is inevitably coming everywhere, and we can thank EVs for it, not that they're necessarily bad.

This is a society, trade restrictions for whatever that society provides, if you don't like it, try another society or implement change within your current one.
                          EVs can exist without the mileage tax (another authoritarian measure). The whole reason that's implemented is because of out-of-control elites who think they can control the rest of society (similar situation during the Great Depression-WWII era). But given that EVs get their best efficiency around 20 MPH rather than 50-60 MPH like most gas cars, the mileage restrictions may be a moot point. All depends on how its implemented.

From what I've heard, implementing (or attempting to implement) change in my current society (the United States of America) is fruitless given that I'm competing with hundreds of millions of others for a given change to be implemented. I'll try another society (ideally Dubai) - expensive, but each year I see more BS in the USA, the more I'm seduced to pay the price for a residency.
                          1986 325e Schwarz (sold)
                          1989 325iX Alpineweiß​ (daily)

Greed is Good

Comment

From what I've heard, implementing (or attempting to implement) change in my current society (the United States of America) is fruitless given that I'm competing with hundreds of millions of others for a given change to be implemented. I'll try another society (ideally Dubai) - expensive, but each year I see more BS in the USA, the more I'm seduced to pay the price for a residency.
                            Change is often implemented by one person, that person just has to speak up in public on a topic where some others already likely agree. The reason you don't see that as much as you used to is that people are basically afraid of personal/family consequences standing up considering the flak you'll take for any opinion you voice. Let's not forget, fomenting this general feeling is extremely effective at keeping those currently in power in their offices.

The grass is always greener somewhere, but not in UAE I would dare to venture since their system of government is exclusionary by nature, and not open to outsiders.

Comment

given that I'm competing with hundreds of millions of dollars for a given change to be implemented.
                              Fixed that for you. Unless a grass roots movement truly takes off and has massive, undeniable support that cannot be ignored without losing an election, it doesn't have a chance of competing with special interest groups and the biases of the politician. Our hobby is not growing, you can tell this is the case by the tracks dropping like flies all over the country, so there's little hope of any in the political class inserting any measure into their increasingly authoritarian legislation that protects the core aspects of our hobby unless someone with an interest in it and money (like a coalition of aftermarket parts and modification companies, or a billionaire who understands the hobby and isn't just an out-of-touch boomer collector) makes sure that happens.

IG @turbovarg
                              '91 318is, M20 turbo
                              [CoTM: 4-18]
                              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                              - updated 3-17

Comment

Germany considers banning repairs and sales of "residual" vehicles, which are more than 15 years old.
                                I guess there will be thousands inexpensive BMWs on the market.

Gavin will do the same, of course.

Comment

Working...
                                X