Global Warming is over.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
    My skill set serves many many industries, oil and gas just pay the best for the least amount of headache.... u can jump to aerospace, nuke, power house, and many many other industries......
    Welding inspectors make more on the pipelines then nuclear power plants?

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
    I think it has more to do with having common sense.

Good attempt as shutting down debate.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    You aren't the brightest crayon in the drawer are you?

I was not "shutting down debate."

I was pointing out that sleeve will NOT ever change his position on this. He won't change his position on this because his livelihood depends on the fossil fuel industry.

But if everyone wants to keep wasting their breath, go for it.

Comparing AGW to dinosaurs dying, we had others defending MS-13 just to be against Captain Cheeto face.

It's un-fucking-believable how the extremes on both sides are patently dismissive of differing viewpoints because the "other guy."

You could hear a new idea you really like and think could work, but "Oh, the D or R (depending on your affiliation) said it? Well fuck that then."

It's why get nowhere in this country or these debates. And I think on that note, I've explained why I'll just leave this forum alone from now on.
    Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
    Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
    One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
      Welding inspectors make more on the pipelines then nuclear power plants? .
      depends on the contract and what you are doing.... But in general for my particular niche the hourly is about the same, but Nuke work is a MUCH MUCH bigger headache to participate in.
      Originally posted by Fusion
      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
      William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
        depends on the contract and what you are doing.... But in general for my particular niche the hourly is about the same, but Nuke work is a MUCH MUCH bigger headache to participate in.

I got a buddy that quit doing the nuke work because of how much of a pain it was. He loved the pay though. Said after taxes he was bringing home 3500 a week.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
        1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
        Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
        Mtech 2 turbo restoration
        Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
          I got a buddy that quit doing the nuke work because of how much of a pain it was. He loved the pay though. Said after taxes he was bringing home 3500 a week.
          That is some excellent scratch!

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
          Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
          Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
            What was he doing in the plants, Welding or Inspection.????
            Originally posted by Fusion
            If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
            William Pitt-

Comment

As usual, Sleeve, you explained your position eloquently and clearly. And I agree, we are no different than any other species in terms of the evolution of life on the planet. We WILL die out...

Where we differ is how we react to the fact that we can (and do) influence our environment, as you said. We have data and knowledge indicating that AGW is a thing, ocean temps are rising, ocean levels, ice caps melting, etc, etc. If you are saying we should not change anything about our current energy needs because something else will end humanity before Co2 levels or AGW does, then that's one thing. And I can respect your belief in that though we might disagree. Because that is not denying the facts. It's your opinion on what our reaction to the facts should be.

My issue is with the deniers who cling to misinformation and "paid-for" scientific data that has only one purpose. To cloud and muddy an issue that really should not be to keep our current energy industry going as long as possible to maximize profits for those industries. It's a hugely nefarious propaganda campaign that, unbelievably, people buy into. I'm guessing because of party affiliations or other influences. And this same practice is undertaken in many industries... it stifles innovation and marketplace competition in order to keep the status quo. What happened to the free market and competition?
              "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
              -----------------------------------------
              91 318is Turbo Sold
              87 325 Daily driver Sold
              06 4.8is X5
              06 Mtec X3
              05 4.4i X5 Sold
              92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
              90 325i Sold
              97 328is Sold
              01 323ci Sold
              92 325i Sold
              83 528e Totaled
              98 328i Sold
              93 325i Sold

Comment

Antarctica's Ice Sheet Is Melting 3 Times Faster Than Before

And before anyone says before what, I agree it is a horrible title.

The melting of Antarctica is accelerating at an alarming rate, with about 3 trillion tons of ice disappearing since 1992, an international team of ice experts said in a new study.

In the last quarter century, the southern-most continent’s ice sheet — a key indicator of climate change — melted into enough water to cover Texas to a depth of nearly 13 feet (4 meters), scientists calculated. All that water made global oceans rise about three-tenths of an inch (7.6 millimeters).

From 1992 to 2011, Antarctica lost nearly 84 billion tons of ice a year (76 billion metric tons). From 2012 to 2017, the melt rate increased to more than 241 billion tons a year (219 billion metric tons), according to the study Wednesday in the journal Nature.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
                  Antarctica's Ice Sheet Is Melting 3 Times Faster Than Before

And before anyone says before what, I agree it is a horrible title.

The melting of Antarctica is accelerating at an alarming rate, with about 3 trillion tons of ice disappearing since 1992, an international team of ice experts said in a new study.

In the last quarter century, the southern-most continent’s ice sheet — a key indicator of climate change — melted into enough water to cover Texas to a depth of nearly 13 feet (4 meters), scientists calculated. All that water made global oceans rise about three-tenths of an inch (7.6 millimeters).

From 1992 to 2011, Antarctica lost nearly 84 billion tons of ice a year (76 billion metric tons). From 2012 to 2017, the melt rate increased to more than 241 billion tons a year (219 billion metric tons), according to the study Wednesday in the journal Nature.
                  Yes, and if you read the entire article from the BBC and do the math, it will take about 155,000 years for all the ice to melt.

Further, to sum up the conclusion from the study:

"Indeed as Shephard himself is forced to admit, we did not start collecting data until 1992. This sort of melting could have been going on for centuries or longer. In fact, another paper published this month by Kingslake et al finds that there has been extensive retreat and re-advance of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet during the Holocene.

As Shephard also remarks, the melting in West Antarctica is due to the intrusion of warmer water, and therefore nothing at all to do with GHGs or “global warming”. It is highly unlikely that such changes in ocean currents have not happened many times before."

Further West Antarctica is now known to have a lot of volcanic activity under the ice:

Plus is it warming or is it cooling? NASA says its the latter:
                  “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                  Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by gwb72tii View Post
                    Yes, and if you read the entire article from the BBC and do the math, it will take about 155,000 years for all the ice to melt.
                    you do realize that in that scenario, bad things start happening WAY before ALL of the ice melts, right?

think island nations in the pacific disappearing. think "downtown" becoming "waterfront" in your favorite coastal resort town. think refugee displacement on a global level that makes the iraq/syria situation look minor by comparison...
                    past:
                    1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                    1985 323i baur
                    current:
                    1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
                      you do realize that in that scenario, bad things start happening WAY before ALL of the ice melts, right?

think island nations in the pacific disappearing. think "downtown" becoming "waterfront" in your favorite coastal resort town. think refugee displacement on a global level that makes the iraq/syria situation look minor by comparison...
                      Pretty alarmist if you ask me. A far fetched scenario with just as far fetched consequences makes for a hell of a reason to change everything we do and bring us back into the dark ages where we have practically zero energy.

Think about the consequences of the removal of fossil fuels from life as we know it. You think melting ice would be bad? How about famine, pestilence and death?

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post

The problem is he does not "think"

Pretty alarmist if you ask me. A far fetched scenario with just as far fetched consequences makes for a hell of a reason to change everything we do and bring us back into the dark ages where we have practically zero energy.

Think about the consequences of the removal of fossil fuels from life as we know it. You think melting ice would be bad? How about famine, pestilence and death?

Where did anyone say shut down all industry and power plants and return to the 12th century?

Pretty extreme extrapolation of what is actually being suggested. (Acceptance of what is happening and a measured reasonable response).

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
                          The problem is he does not "think"

Where did anyone say shut down all industry and power plants and return to the 12th century?

Pretty extreme extrapolation of what is actually being suggested. (Acceptance of what is happening and a measured reasonable response).
                          I haven't seen what "reasonable" is to you folk. I just see another opportunity for government control with no expectation of actual results.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

I haven't seen what "reasonable" is to you folk. I just see another opportunity for government control with no expectation of actual results.

Where have you seen anyone say what you are purporting?

Post a link to turn off technology.

Comment

not a far-fetched scenario; it's already started.

i never suggested we entirely ditch fossil fuels, so ignoring that straw-man.
                              past:
                              1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                              1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                              1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                              1985 323i baur
                              current:
                              1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

This.

It never ceases to amaze me how people can attempt to distract from an issue by going bat shit crazy to the never suggested extreme.

"I have a hangnail, guess the finger has to come off"

Comment

Working...
                                X