Is there a god?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Kershaw
    replied

    Leave a comment:


  • Farbin Kaiber
    replied
    So being against religion is the "bad fight"?

    Leave a comment:


  • Kershaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber
    Thanks. I'm glad I could help you fight the good fight of non-belief.
    that is not the good fight. that's the fight of holding onto ignorance and dogma.

    Leave a comment:


  • Robotin
    replied
    no

    Leave a comment:


  • Farbin Kaiber
    replied
    Originally posted by MR E30 325is
    Oh me, oh my.

    I am going to sit this one out, though I do want to thank Farbin for posting the god is imaginery dot com website, it offered me plenty of ideas to present to my co workers and to my fellow man, who suffer from the disease of religion and god.

    Arguing with someone who is deeply intertwined in their religion is pointless. They fail to accept or even try to comprehend any of the proof you present.

    "When someone utters the word 'god', you should reply with "god is imaginery".
    Thanks. I'm glad I could help you fight the good fight of non-belief.

    Leave a comment:


  • MR E30 325is
    replied
    Oh me, oh my.

    I am going to sit this one out, though I do want to thank Farbin for posting the god is imaginery dot com website, it offered me plenty of ideas to present to my co workers and to my fellow man, who suffer from the disease of religion and god.

    Arguing with someone who is deeply intertwined in their religion is pointless. They fail to accept or even try to comprehend any of the proof you present.

    "When someone utters the word 'god', you should reply with "god is imaginery".

    Leave a comment:


  • z31maniac
    replied
    Yep, the Golden Rule pretty much handles it all.

    Leave a comment:


  • tttoon
    replied
    Here's what god did to some people I knew:

    They were both brought up catholic. They worshipped god multiple times a week. They fell in love, and the woman got pregnant. Because their society was built on "god's values" they were living in sin by having pre-marriage sex. So they got rid of the baby out of fear of their family, friends and god. Then they got married, were married for 15 years, and kept living a devout life, despite having guilt issues over the abortion. Then, within 4 years of each other, they died of identical cancer (pancreas). I guess that is the punishment god reserves for abortions.

    The sooner we get rid of this farce the better. Religion or a god concept does no good to people. People should take responsibility for their own actions, and moral values will naturally continue to exist. We don't need to have that organised and we don't need people to tell other people how to live based on a ~1500 year old fantasy omnibus.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kershaw
    replied

    Leave a comment:


  • Exodus_2pt0
    replied
    Wheres Rufflz?



    Seriously though, this has been a good read.

    Leave a comment:


  • cale
    replied
    Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber
    It's not "potential" in my life.
    Wanting something with all your heart doesn't make it exist anymore, god is a potentiality. You can argue that all you want, but please develop your own language with new definitions so you can alter those ones to fit your ideals. You do not know a god exists, you attribute occurrences which can be explained by other means as his work. I realize I'm talking to a brick wall when I state this, but a brick wall you are.

    I cannot explain it in a way you understand, I cannot even verbalize it in a way that would make sense to you, that does not make it any less real for me, and it's not my duty to get you to understand, it's my duty to have my relationship.
    I have love for my parents, but it doesn't make love any more real in terms of something I could ever hold in my hands...it's something which only occurs in our minds as does your god. As such it is foolish to attribute the existence of actual matter to the work of an entity who resides solely in our conciousness.

    That's what you are not understanding, just because someone is single by choice, I don't have to quantify to them why I love my soon-to-be wife, or to explain how it's normal to me.
    Argue that I don't understand all you'd like, equating a relationship with someone sitting in from of me is worlds appart from one where one of the two individuals has never materialized in reality but simply in your mind. Similarly to your god, I'd find it rather psychotic if you told me you have a deep and meaningful relation with the monster in your closet.

    What if your parents did half the amazing things God has done to his followers
    To propose this you first must prove that those things you credit to god are actually his work, you cannot do that. So please kindly delete the rest of your argument.

    Is that porch getting any less lonely yet?

    Leave a comment:


  • Fourbanger
    replied
    Why was man born into sin, exactly? Because Adam and Eve ate an apple before creating the human population through incest?

    It was the sister who taught my religious ed class from first to eighth grade who would tell us that God is all-loving. But I guess she doesn't know shit. Kind of shows how everyone takes the Bible and turns it into whatever makes them feel good. Even within the same sect it's hardly the one true answer that people like to tout it as. The Bible is open to waaaay too much interpretation to be taken anything close to literally.

    My parents have done plenty of amazing things for me. God, on the other hand, has done nothing for me that can't be attributed to my own actions, someone else's, chance, etc. But if I believed I suppose I would attribute all of the positives in my life to Him and praise His glory. And if my life was shit then I'd justify it by saying it was God's plan and that I'll find eternal bliss in heaven. Foolproof.
    Last edited by Fourbanger; 08-04-2012, 01:49 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Farbin Kaiber
    replied
    Originally posted by herbivor
    If my parents did to me half the fucked up shit God has done to his followers, I wouldn't love them at all. I would probably be a basket case having to go to therapy every week while medicating myself as much as possible to numb my fucked up mind from all of the horrific images and experiences it went through.
    I think the Bible provides the best case for NOT wanting to follow that God. Even if you do believe, your an idiot to want to obey the kind of God depicted in the Bible. There are over 3900 deities you can choose to worship. The one from the Bible is not the one I would choose. That dude is an asshole.
    What if your parents did half the amazing things God has done to his followers, you'd like love them with more than a bottomless pit could contain. You would probably be a rooted, and centered individual, with an understanding of something larger than yourself or everything you understand. You would be thankful and have an open mind from all the amazing images and experiences you'd gone through.

    You'd think the Bible provides the best case for wanting to follow that God. You'd be happy to have a relationship with the kind of God depicted in the bible. There are 3900 deities you could choose from to worship. The one from the Bible is the one you would want to choose. That dude rules in a way that dependent on what side of him you are, could be an asshole, or could be the most amazing power in control of not only the pieces on the gameboard, but the board, the table, and the room the game is being played in as well.

    Leave a comment:


  • Farbin Kaiber
    replied
    Originally posted by Fourbanger
    Those infants totally deserve to die of dysentery. Little fuckers were born into sin.

    I have a problem with a supposedly omnipotent, all-loving God allowing needless suffering so we can "get closer to Him" or "learn a lesson" or whatever. Especially when He created sin in the first place.
    Everyone "was born into sin". Everyone is a "sinner". Who said he is "all-loving"? The Bible speaks of "Grace and Peace" being given from him, translated, that means unmerited favor, and cessation of againstness. That means something you can't earn, and no longer in battle, or at war with.

    It's not about getting closer, or being more like. It's about trusting a plan larger than oneself, regardless of what the world (A place the Devil has power in/on/of) shows/says/implies.

    He isn't looking for perfection, he is looking for trust. It's the one thing he cannot create, and that's where the "free-will" concept is rooted.

    Leave a comment:


  • herbivor
    replied
    Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber
    You obviously haven't seen all the fuct up shit he does/has done. Think of your parents, just because they love you with all their heart, and would do anything for you, doesn't mean they wont punish your ass in a hot second if they feel you've done something they either told you not to do, or didn't give you permission to do.

    Doesn't mean they love you less, or not at all while you are sitting in your room, in the corner, grounded for two weeks because you creeped out the window at one AM to go smoke pot in the park with some friends.
    If my parents did to me half the fucked up shit God has done to his followers, I wouldn't love them at all. I would probably be a basket case having to go to therapy every week while medicating myself as much as possible to numb my fucked up mind from all of the horrific images and experiences it went through.
    I think the Bible provides the best case for NOT wanting to follow that God. Even if you do believe, your an idiot to want to obey the kind of God depicted in the Bible. There are over 3900 deities you can choose to worship. The one from the Bible is not the one I would choose. That dude is an asshole.

    Leave a comment:

Working...