Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have a connection on some flat metal? Not sure how thick I need it, but the roll bar for the Roadster didn’t have the plates that go underneath. I also need them thick enough to weld to them . I think a 12x12” plate is big enough
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      Anyone have a connection on some flat metal? Not sure how thick I need it, but the roll bar for the Roadster didn’t have the plates that go underneath. I also need them thick enough to weld to them . I think a 12x12” plate is big enough
      Maybe Chillizen can help you.
      @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Home Depot/Lowe's has plates of steel in their hardware department. You'd want at least 1/8" thick, but I'd recommend 3/16th". 1/4" would be unnecessary. You're more likely to have success finding a 3x36" strip in that thickness, versus a 12x12. I can't imagine why you'd prefer that dimension.

When we build cages, the front A-pillars sit on plates 2-1/2 x 4", the main hoop sits on 4x4, and the kickers (usually) sit on 3x4".

Currently building a badass coffee table
        Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

Morning r3vers. I got a puzzle- what do you do when you want a low maintenance car but also dont want anything newer than an 06? I loved my setup of 84 Merc to chill and 86 e30 to get in trouble, but the merc is finally done and the e30 is about to have a killer bimmerheads racing m20. Im tempted to get an e46 or IS300 but not sure i have the heart to go deeper than a valve cover on anything for a couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by Chilezen View Post
            Home Depot/Lowe's has plates of steel in their hardware department. You'd want at least 1/8" thick, but I'd recommend 3/16th". 1/4" would be unnecessary. You're more likely to have success finding a 3x36" strip in that thickness, versus a 12x12. I can't imagine why you'd prefer that dimension.

When we build cages, the front A-pillars sit on plates 2-1/2 x 4", the main hoop sits on 4x4, and the kickers (usually) sit on 3x4".
            Not sure why I didnt think to go look at HD/ Lowes...

I said 12x12 to throw out a dimension haha

I will go look at what they have.

Thanks!

BTW I was totally ready to come to you guys for the full roll bar, but Im trying to do the impossible... make it reversible. I will likely still need to have you guys do the cross bar, harness bar and a removable petty bar. Should be a fun project.

I plan to tie in the main hoop to the chassis this way... this is for my Roadster BTW

Ive heard that its not the ideal way that VARA wants it, but will accept it. This also allows the rollbar to be removed without having to cut the body
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              I get most of my metal through Schorr Metals but any local steel yard near you will have what you need and will have a large variety of sizes and can even cut the metal to the dimensions you need it. So if you needed specific sized plates they could make them right there.

Comment

IDK if there's one up by you, but Industrial Metal Supply has a remnants section that you can almost always find what you need in, and it's really cheap.
                Byron
                Leichtbau

Comment

I think I may have it figured out by a helpful guy who hides in the shadows but is always here haha a true R3V OG
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

Just picked up a 325is that needs wheels and tires... what's the best place to source them in southern california? Craigslist?

Comment

i go here.

they have super clean stuff and most things needed.

Comment

Hey man, do you park by Redondo in mid town?

Comment

nope.
                          seen a clone of mine?
                          dolphin boi with a big intercooler?

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                            nope.
                            seen a clone of mine?
                            dolphin boi with a big intercooler?
                            Theres a cat down my street that has an e28 on style 32s, lowered, almost stanced, grey beat paint and is kind of a douchnozzle when he drives.

Comment

Oh boy, this should be fun....

Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Mine should be next year, looking forward to it, considering the ordeal DMV put me through for the wagon.

Comment

Working...
                                X