Clear All

Originally posted by kronus View Post
    post an ad in m4m on bay area craigslist
    C6Z
    S2K
    VeloN

Comment

Originally posted by Toodaloo View Post
      I'm thinking about it. It's like a dark blue color with a clean title, 132k miles, and he wants a small amount of cash in my end.
      I'd get an inspection done to be safe. You may pay a shop for an hour or two, but you'll know exactly what you're dealing with. Albeit e46 M3's have dropped in price quite a bit, clean title 6 speed cars with relatively lower mileage aren't nice e30 cheap. Convertibles are certainly cheaper, but you also have to deal with the woes of the soft top as it gets older.

The e46 M3 is by all means a fun car, but parts are certainly pricer when time comes for replacement. If you do get one, get the nicest example you can afford because they're at the age where people get rid of them right as the major issues start showing up. E30's on the other hand are probably too old for most people, so the ones left on the road are probably on their last legs, or have been properly maintained or restored. Just something to keep in mind

Comment

Originally posted by CarsonE30 View Post
        This is the main reason.

Any history on it? Mods, records, pics? The fact that it's a 6 speed and not an SMG is a MASSIVE plus.

Minimal mods, it's the one posted on NorCal BMW parts FB page. Dinan software, catback, carbon fiber cal trunk and a few other things I may be forgetting. Says that the rod bearings and vanos was redone 5k ago. Who knows if this is true though... In the photos it looks pretty clean overall.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        exactly, get a PPI before you sign over your title. be ready for more things to maintain, but I would do it if I was in YOUR shoes.

Exactly. My car is very well maintained, I've done so much in my past year and a half of ownership and know it's history prior to my ownership quote decently.

I replied to his message saying to throw him an offer with "I'd like to check it out first before throwing out a number", then he replied that he "might be trading for a fully built e30 with barred s52 swap, caged, etc." then proceeded to send me some photos of an early model with a beat up front valance and meh interior that's missing parts.

Without seeing the car, I can't take him seriously. I definitely wouldn't want to be pressured into a deal like this, especially since I have so much time, money, and heart into my e30.

Check out my Alpine's DEAD build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=348571

E36 M3 Build thread http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=597637

Comment

Another thing to note it the reliability. Sure the s54 is an amazing motor, but is plagued with issues from what I've heard. The e30, at least in my case is stupid reliable. Plus, I can work on the e30 myself and it'll be way less pricy to maintain. Meanwhile, the e46 is one of those modern platforms that seems to need a shop anytime something goes wrong. I could work on it myself, but do I want to? Meh.

Check out my Alpine's DEAD build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=348571

Comment

the one posted on NorCal BMW parts FB page.
            Oh alright. That's the one that looks technoviolet in a few pics right? I know which one you're talking about, I've been browsing for an E46 M3 too since they are very low in the market right now and that caught my eye but he won't post a price so I'm out lmao It looks clean inside too which is good but the PPI is an absolute must if you wanna go forward with it.

EDIT - your car is, imo, about as good as an E30 gets with an M20, especially in CA and realistically, your car seems to be worth right around 8k all day and they are appreciating now. E46's are doing the opposite so I'd be iffy about putting cash on top, especially after how much time, money and love you have into your E30 as it sits.
            C6Z
            S2K
            VeloN

Comment

NOR-CAL General Chat.

Originally posted by CarsonE30 View Post
              Oh alright. That's the one that looks technoviolet in a few pics right? I know which one you're talking about, I've been browsing for an E46 M3 too since they are very low in the market right now and that caught my eye but he won't post a price so I'm out lmao It looks clean inside too which is good but the PPI is an absolute must if you wanna go forward with it.

EDIT - your car is, imo, about as good as an E30 gets with an M20, especially in CA and realistically, your car seems to be worth right around 8k all day and they are appreciating now. E46's are doing the opposite so I'd be iffy about putting cash on top, especially after how much time, money and love you have into your E30 as it sits.
              Yep that one! He sent me some better photos earlier.

Thanks brotha, I really appreciate your words! I mean it's okay, haha. Definitely not the best, but I wouldn't say it's the worst either. I stopped counting, but I definitely have more than 10-11k into it (including the car)
              Once I get back from Dubai/ spring break I'll be starting on a big refresh. A nice deep clean of basically everything interior, exterior, and engine bay after all the rain, small change in suspension, new front hubs/ bearings, breaks (pads, fluid, rotors), some new aesthetic bits, oil change, plugs, rotor cap, wires, skid plate, and possibly a diff fluid change. I'm pretty stoked about it!

I love the e46 m3. Definitely last of the great m3's before they started looking bloated and huge. My favorite modern M forsure. I considered selling my car for one a little while back but can't justify it. Maybe a few years down the line when I'm more financially stable I'll pick one up... on my terms!

Comment

Yep that one! He sent me some better photos earlier.

Thanks brotha, I really appreciate your words! I mean it's okay, haha. Definitely not the best, but I wouldn't say it's the worst either. I stopped counting, but I definitely have more than 10-11k into it (including the car)
                Once I get back from Dubai/ spring break I'll be starting on a big refresh. A nice deep clean of basically everything interior, exterior, and engine bay after all the rain, small change in suspension, new front hubs/ bearings, breaks (pads, fluid, rotors), some new aesthetic bits, oil change, plugs, rotor cap, wires, skid plate, and possibly a diff fluid change. I'm pretty stoked about it!

I love the e46 m3. Definitely last of the great m3's before they started looking bloated and huge. My favorite modern M forsure. I considered selling my car for one a little while back but can't justify it. Maybe a few years down the line when I'm more financially stable I'll pick one up... on my terms!
                I drove an E92 and my friends F82 M4 in SLO, I love the E92. It's just a brutally intoxicating car and the M4 is wayyyyyy too big and rolly. All in all though, the E36 has great feel and the E46 is the middle between E36 handling and E9x power. I think of all the M3's though, the E92 is my personal favorite. That being said however, if the right E46 comes along, I'd definitely consider selling or trading my E36. Nice to hear your build continues!
                C6Z
                S2K
                VeloN

Comment

haha ya'll over here talking about a 2000+ BMWs with a bunch of electronic stuff and fancy technology and Im daydreaming about owning another ///M with a M88...
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2man View Post
                    haha ya'll over here talking about a 2000+ bmws with a bunch of electronic stuff and fancy technology and im daydreaming about owning another ///m with a m88...
                    e28? E24? E26?!?!
                    C6Z
                    S2K
                    VeloN

Comment

does it matter??? :rofl:

truth is that my E30 is better than all of them, but it lacks that pedigree of having a direct lineage to the original ///M.

I owned the last car in that lineage (E34 M5) and it certainly had the heart, but it was wrapped in a package that was missing so much of what made the original great. Something that a E24 or E28 probably still has... The hardest part for me is that Ive built what is MY ultimate driving machine. I would be adding 50% of my E30s current weight back into the car with no increase in power. In addition to that Ive most of the heart and soul of my E30 are back and strong as ever, the cosmetics are finally catching up to the level that the rest of the car and I get more and more excited when I see it. The love is strong with this one
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I had an E39 M5 for about a year and a half back in 2012-2013. If I was going to pick up another M car, it would be another one of those or an E90 M3. I miss the V8 torque so much I'm putting I'm putting a V8 in my E30 lol

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                        Transaction feedback
                        - jpod999

Comment

Another thing to note it the reliability. Sure the s54 is an amazing motor, but is plagued with issues from what I've heard. The e30, at least in my case is stupid reliable. Plus, I can work on the e30 myself and it'll be way less pricy to maintain. Meanwhile, the e46 is one of those modern platforms that seems to need a shop anytime something goes wrong. I could work on it myself, but do I want to? Meh.
                          I wouldn't touch an S54 with a 40 foot pole. If pushed hard they eat rod bearings, (see here http://www.langracing.com/finding-a-...aring-failure/) and with Nikasil cylinder liners, its a crap shoot as to whether or not it will cause issues. Some engines last just fine, others self destruct with the stuff. (Jaguar, Porsche, BMW, pretty much everyone who used the stuff had issues with it.)

I will admit, the E46 M3 is the best looking M3 since the E30, but its heavy, and the engine has reliability issues. I see nothing positive here. Build the E30 up. Its a better built car.

Will
                          '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                          '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                          '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                          '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                            I wouldn't touch an S54 with a 40 foot pole. If pushed hard they eat rod bearings, (see here http://www.langracing.com/finding-a-...aring-failure/) and with Nikasil cylinder liners, its a crap shoot as to whether or not it will cause issues. Some engines last just fine, others self destruct with the stuff. (Jaguar, Porsche, BMW, pretty much everyone who used the stuff had issues with it.)

I will admit, the E46 M3 is the best looking M3 since the E30, but its heavy, and the engine has reliability issues. I see nothing positive here. Build the E30 up. Its a better built car.

Will
                            The S54 does have some issues; however, they are relatively known quantities at this point.

The rod bearing issue is very well known and the solution is to do oil analysis and replace them based on the concentrations of lead and copper in the oil. I have seen engines (my 2005 engine included) that had noted bearing wear by 70k miles and I have seen many that have had 150k without any noted bearing wear-- how the engine was used plays a role in this. The only way to really know the condition is to either preventatively do them upon vehicle purchase or to do oil analysis regularly. It's not great, but the issue is far less prevalent than the E90 M3 rod bearing issue, which do not have copper/lead in the bearings (09+) to give any early warning of impending failure.

The other two trouble areas are the vanos (easily fixed with Beisan kit if your hub hasn't cracked, new hub + beisan if it has) and the harmonic balancer (only for track use).

It's not as trouble free or issue free as S5x US engines. But it makes a loooooot more power (~350whp with just bolt ons!) and has a lot nicer torque curve. Plus, CSL airbox noise!

I wouldn't (and clearly didn't) stay away from the S54. As long as you're aware of the potential issues and can address the trouble areas before they become an issue, you'll be fine. I haven't heard of any issues with the cylinder liners on an S54.....

The bigger problem with an E46 M3, besides the fact I don't own one and would be hard pressed to not turn into a CSL clone, is the rear subframe mounts cracking issue. Again, fixable, and well documented, but annoying.

I'd run away from an E90 though. The rod bearing Russian roulette scares me way more on those than on the E46.
                            2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                            95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                            98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post

Will

Exactly my standpoint. I can build a much more fun car for my budget by sticking with the e30. I see the e46 as something I would drive in my upper 20's when I'm able to afford it and need something with more finesse and comfort than my e30, which I plan to keep for quite a while considering my plans for it.

Will, I'm sure you'd be happy to hear that I sold my old wheels with the stretched tires, picked up another set with meatier tires, raised the car a little, and started playing around with tuning my suspension!

Comment

I see the e46 as something I would drive in my upper 20's when I'm able to afford it and need something with more finesse and comfort
                                Oh god, this is too accurate
                                C6Z
                                S2K
                                VeloN

Comment

Working...
                                X