This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
    It's pretty dead in here. You guys still driving e30s?
    Just took mine to the SSCA autocross in Monterey!

Click image for larger version

Name:	SO89rAA.jpg
Views:	707
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	9865575
    '86 Burgundrot 325 2.8 stroker.

Build thread

Other cars:
    2000 Porsche Boxster
    2006 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    1972 Porsche 914

Comment

• BlackbirdM3
      BlackbirdM3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Who is SSCA? How much do they charge to run. I'd really like to do some autoXing again, but most groups are charging WAY too much to autoX.

Will

• betz
      betz commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry, I meant SCCA, Sports Car Club of America. San Francisco Reigon. Event Entry is $55, weekend SCCA membership is $15, so if you're not a member it will run you $70. They do Crow's landing and Marina Airport typically. http://www.sfrautox.com/

Originally posted by betz View Post

Just took mine to the SSCA autocross in Monterey!
    Nice, hows the stroker running?
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Nice, hows the stroker running?
      It's been awesome ever since I figured out it runs the best on the stock ECU and stock chip somehow. Idles great, AFRs are great, WOT is bliss and has better power than ever. It passed smog again too recently.

Got the wilwoods to fit under my wheels only to realize my reman brake booster was shit the whole time. Put in a new ATE booster and the brakes are fantastic now.

Doing the autocross I realize the tires are definitely a weak spot. They're 3 year old direzza DZ102s. My suspension wasn't even getting a work out my car would just slide lol. Though it made the autocross pretty fun cus I had to counter steer through all the corners to keep it in check, which is super easy in this car. Got okish times. I'm not that fast. But it was super fun! The car is a total blast :)

Build thread

Other cars:
      2000 Porsche Boxster
      1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Family,
        The time as home and we are moving out of CA. I was born here in the south bay and really thought i was going to live here my whole life. but as times have changed it has become increasingly difficult to live here. I have accepted a job at a rocket company in Washington where we can live on 1 income and have no smog. I have been looking for the positives as it has been really hard to move from literally the best place on earth. Tank you all for the good time and don't forget your PNW brother. and forever, go ninners!

YL7A9611
        Much wow
        I hate 4 doors

Comment

Best wishes to you Eric. Time to boost the e30 my friend!
          SO MUCH MORE TO DO!!
          IG: ohthejosh

LEGIT CHECK ME BRUH
          BUYER FEEDBACK THREAD

Comment

I copped a new cop. What does R3V think? Original owner 325xi touring, 135k miles, 5 speed manual, heated manual sport seats, manual climate controls, topaz blue over tan interior. $4300.Click image for larger version

Name:	dOhv7hb.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	9868383

Build thread

Other cars:
            2000 Porsche Boxster
            1972 Porsche 914

Comment

E46s are such a good deal now.

Cabriolet Best Wishes, you'll love the PNW. It was hard for me to move back to CA after being up there for ~7 years. I was supposed to be there for about 4, nearly doubled that without even noticing. Good times indeed.
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

e46 tourings are pretty sweet
                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Hey everyone! Does anyone want to lend me a hand in finishing up this s52 build? Shoot me a message and we can work out details!
                  2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed- Silver, 19's, daily driver
                  1990 Silver 325i- Lowered on H&R OE Sports, e90 drop hats, KYB shocks, color matched rocker panels, 16" Emortal RS wheels on 205/50/16 tires... Currently getting a full refresh including an S52 swap!
                  1997 Black Ford Probe GT- Stripped to 2220lbs, MS3X, Forged motor in midst of assembly... Dyno results and 1/4 mile times pending

Comment

I gotta problem with excessive rear tow in.

I am on H&R Race Springs, Z3 6-cylinder trailing arms and hubs and some home-made risers to allow the old e38 Style 5's to fit (mock-up with H&R Sport springs):
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	gp2hcN1h.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.5 KB ID:	9869541

I installed some adjustable TA brackets on my car, with the toe centered:
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	W1Iemnmh.jpg Views:	0 Size:	38.5 KB ID:	9869540

The car is at essentially stock ride height, and I have the toe fully adjusted out. Yet my rear wheels are toe'd in something stupid, making for a twitchy drive:
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	MAiS1Rqh.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.3 KB ID:	9869542

Will toe angle change with the angle of the trailing arm to the car? (is the trailing arm mounted square to the center-line of the car?) Would lowering the car a bit help things? Do I need to just re-weld the adjustment brackets based on the current geometry?

I'd love to make a solid model in SolidWorks to play around with the angles, but I'm not sure how to make accurate models of the rear subframe, TA, etc.

Any help would be awesome, thanks!
                    sigpic
                    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]

Comment

What risers? On the subframe? Also I think you're supposed to go with Z3 1.9 trailing arms because the six cylinder ones are too wide.

If nothing else, you will have to reweld the toe adjustment further to the right (?) so you can pull it back further and dial in the toe.

Build thread

Other cars:
                      2000 Porsche Boxster
                      1972 Porsche 914

Comment

What risers? On the subframe?
                        I made an aluminum sleeve to sit on the lower spring perch nub, the sleeve keeps the riser pad(s) centered and allows me to stack higher than I would feel comfortable if I only had the nub. Then I made some HDPE disks to use as risers. Now that the fenders are rolled, I can lower the stack height, maybe even go back to just stacked spring pads.

Also I think you're supposed to go with Z3 1.9 trailing arms because the six cylinder ones are too wide
                        I know the Z3 axles/wheel bearings come in 3 sizes (4-cyl, 6-cyl, and M), but I had no idea they came with different track widths. Can someone back that up?

If nothing else, you will have to reweld the toe adjustment further to the right (?) so you can pull it back further and dial in the toe.
                        This is what I what I want to avoid. It just doesn't make sense because I had this setup on my vert, but without the adjusters. On that car I had excessive camber but toe was within stock speck. Now I have corrected the camber, but the toe is in. I guess I need to sit down and think about how everything is related (TA angle, camber, & toe). Unless someone has an alignment rack I could use to experiment on?!?!?!

sigpic

Comment

I made an aluminum sleeve to sit on the lower spring perch nub, the sleeve keeps the riser pad(s) centered and allows me to stack higher than I would feel comfortable if I only had the nub. Then I made some HDPE disks to use as risers. Now that the fenders are rolled, I can lower the stack height, maybe even go back to just stacked spring pads.

I know the Z3 axles/wheel bearings come in 3 sizes (4-cyl, 6-cyl, and M), but I had no idea they came with different track widths. Can someone back that up?

This is what I what I want to avoid. It just doesn't make sense because I had this setup on my vert, but without the adjusters. On that car I had excessive camber but toe was within stock speck. Now I have corrected the camber, but the toe is in. I guess I need to sit down and think about how everything is related (TA angle, camber, & toe). Unless someone has an alignment rack I could use to experiment on?!?!?!
                          I'm gonna go with the 6 cyl trailing arms being the issue somehow. If you search, I see people doing Z3 1.9 full assemblies or Z3 6 cyl hubs and bearings on E30 trailing arms. But never Z3 6 cyl full assemblies. Is the toe issue on both sides of the car? If so that would point to the trailing arms I think, seeing as both sides are identical, rather than something being bent or your welds being off. Especially considering you said the same settings were fine on another car w/o Z3 trailing arms.

Build thread

Other cars:
                          2000 Porsche Boxster
                          1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                            E46s are such a good deal now.

Cabriolet Best Wishes, you'll love the PNW. It was hard for me to move back to CA after being up there for ~7 years. I was supposed to be there for about 4, nearly doubled that without even noticing. Good times indeed.
                            Thanks Simon,
                            It has been an interesting change. the pros and cons list is HUGE. I had never guessed it would be such a change but the not state income tax saves us >20k/yr... I could buy a M3 and crash it every 2 years and still be ahead of living in CA. No smog but no lane splitting. my job is really cool but it is hard. The weather is by far the drawback. It's rainy enough to not be safe to motorcycle every day which sucks.
                            We pay less per month to live in a 50% bigger place on the lake.

Name:	IMG_20190905_195257.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	9872450
                            Much wow
                            I hate 4 doors

Comment

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post

Thanks Simon,
                              It has been an interesting change. the pros and cons list is HUGE. I had never guessed it would be such a change but the not state income tax saves us >20k/yr... I could buy a M3 and crash it every 2 years and still be ahead of living in CA. No smog but no lane splitting. my job is really cool but it is hard. The weather is by far the drawback. It's rainy enough to not be safe to motorcycle every day which sucks.
                              We pay less per month to live in a 50% bigger place on the lake.

Name:	IMG_20190905_195257.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	9872450
                              Yea, you missed the bike riding season. End of June/ Beginning of July (typically July 5th lol) begins the two months of heaven, then September brings back the gray.

Theres definitely a lot of Pros if you can use the weather to your benefit. Glad you guys found something you're happy with. Huge E30 scene up there too, but you already knew that. Octoberfest begins soon so plan to head to Leavenworth if you havent already... I miss that place at times but 100% of my family that lives in America also lives in California so living up there became harder and harder.
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                              X