PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DER E30 View Post
    I really need to look to see if I have a chip, might need to get one someday. Got other crap going though ugh.

The chip go in the glovebox? I've never really thought about it
    the easiest way to tell is just pull the glovebox ceiling and then remove the DME connector and then remove the DME. If the dme has been opened up, the 6 tabs around the perimeter of the cover will be snapped off, or bent out of shape. then you know if the DME is all original or has been opened up. even if you have a chip, its likely a DINAN and is pretty lame... my chip is a sssquid stage 1 tuned for 21.5lb injectors (pink top from m52/S52).

just went to install o2 sensor and my new one is for an m20 car, cause the harness is too short. not really in the mood to cut it up and extend the wires, ill buy an even cheaper mustang one or universal one and do that next weekend.

mods:
    NGK wires
    sssquid chip
    bavrest AFM
    rusty muffler
    pink top injectors
    uni air filter :devil:

my BABY M3 under the hood (the harness connector on firewall I am ordering new covers soon):
    Attached Files

Comment

"Baby m3"

eyeroll

Stoked to see it up an running.
      Hank Ahrens
      1984 Alpine Coupe
      1978 911sc

Comment

Originally posted by ahrensNW View Post
        "Baby m3"

eyeroll
        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

hey I didnt coin the term, some fancy car magazine did

Comment

"Baby m3"

eyeroll
            M42 might not be the fastest motor ever but its pretty dang fun little motor, not "fast" but not slow either. There's that bit about "Its more fun to drive slow car fast than fast car slow." I think that is true with the m42. According to 1/8th mile time slips mine makes about 140whp so not too shabby. One day I'd love do do ITBs and m50 lifters and retainers so it can rev to 7500, think that would be fun as heck, mine is just waking up at the 6500 rpm redline.
            Last edited by DER E30; 01-24-2016, 09:37 PM.
            -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
            08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
            318iS, slow build/garage queen...
            '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
            Originally posted by roguetoaster
            Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

"Baby m3"

eyeroll
              1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
              willschnitz

Comment

haha haters. Ill goto mexico soon with my brother and race my m20b25 coupe bone stock against the m42 sedan gutted and we will see how close it is...

the m42 is fun because you have to work for your power, and we all know that by 6000 the m20b25 is pretty much running out of steam. the m42 is going strong still at 6k. also the 318 has such a lighter front end, its very apparent going driving them back to back because neither have power steering belts at the moment.

its not a baby m3 because of the power, but because of the weight distribution. theres no trunk tar for a reason in the 4 cylinder cars

and DER the stock cams are not gonna help you out over 6500, it is running out of steam by 7k. you need cams to get a powerband like you want

Comment

I have cams and ported head

I should put my 4.27 rear back in and we do a mexico run
                  -Christian

Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

the 427 would be fun for an autox or race car but for commuting and highway runs Id stay away haha. I am gonna try the 3.25 LSD I have in there, and if I dont like it Ill try my 3.73LSD. the 3.25 im thinking will be nice because second gear will be super versatile and 5th gear is gonna keep the revs very low on the highway at 80. only one way to find out

Comment

Yeah, I have a 4.1 in it right now and its basically 3200 rpm at 70mph cruise. Its basically another 100 rpm at speed for 4.27.
                      -Christian

Comment

I have a 4.10 open and it needs TO GO. I feel so unsafe spinning only one tire, I hate it.

Comment

Open diffs suck, they need to die, it IS unsafe to be spinning 1 tire! Worst part is its not consistent, sometimes it spins 1 sometimes 2 and sideways we go! Yuck
                          -Christian

Comment

yeah its too unpredictable, I guess the easy solution is not to drive like a douche
                            Last edited by 5Toes; 01-24-2016, 11:41 PM.

Comment

True, I'm usually driving like granny to get to school though, so I haven't done anything about the diff. Not a huge deal I guess
                              -Christian

Comment

I'm running an open 4.10 don't mind the revs but the open thing sucks

Comment

Working...
                                X