No announcement yet.

PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah the key is to cover the entire gasket in black permatex. My rear diff is wet but not dripping so that should eventually get replaced.
    1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
    willschnitz

Comment

i use a little bit of Dirko on the corners, block and pan side, with the cork gasket. easy peasy.
      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by Maybe Magpie View Post
        Hi friends! New PNW (seattleish area) e30 owner here....

Click image for larger version Name:	YK5KZHi.png Views:	0 Size:	129.2 KB ID:	9923041

What do you all think? Good plan? Too much, too little?
        That sounds like a really nice car and a sweet plan! Black coupes are the best 😉

I spent all winter working on my house and waiting for our little son to show up. I hit a triple all in one week in early may: I got an offer on my house, we bought a sweet woody spot in kingston (with a shop, finally!), and we welcomed our little boy to the world on May 7th!

Also the car is looking dreamy with the mt1 kit and RMs on.

Where are my Kitsap people at?

Peter

-Peter
        '86 S52 coupe | Cotm: 6/18
        '91 318is slicktop project
        '14 F15 X5 35d M Sport
        '00 Tundra

Comment

Wow 2020 is a weird year, Will and Austin chatting? Yall must be bored

Comment

Originally posted by EN318isPDX View Post
            Wow 2020 is a weird year, Will and Austin chatting? Yall must be bored
            "pAnDeMiC wOrLd BrO"

miss you, goat fucker

Comment

Repeat post in a couple of NW forums. Looking for the stamped steel rear shift mount bracket, called a "bow," # 25111207113 for an early shift plate transmission.
              Anyone have one in a box or under a parts car? I probably shouldn't start a manual swap without this piece.

If I had accurate dimensions, I could maybe have one fabbed from thicker flat plate steel (?)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_152749.jpg
Views:	850
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	9936186

Comment

I may have what you need - i'll have to dig around in the garage.
                clutchCTRL!
                Move with a purpose.
                - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                - 2000 323i AT
                2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Okay - I looked and remembered I sold that part with some shift linkage stuff I had.

That being said, it shouldn't take too long to make that bracket out of some scrap metal, weld a bolt onto one end and that should get you by until you can find the legit part. Just my .02; ended up doing the same thing in another build and worked great.
                  clutchCTRL!
                  Move with a purpose.
                  - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                  - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                  - 2000 323i AT
                  2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Thanks for looking. I found this post from maybe 2017 where a guy on the myE28 forum made an aluminum L with an E36 trans mount. I need to figure out dimensions. I see a slotted hole on the vertical where it bolts to the upper bow bracket.

Click image for larger version  Name:	E28 shift plate fabricated bracket.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.6 KB ID:	9937589

Comment

What trans mounts do you have? I'm fairly certain I ditched that bushing and just made a small tab to bolt the sheetmetal shifter assembly straight to the chassis.
                      84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
                      Manual swap all the things!

Comment

It's a plate shifter early trans. We're swapping in a manual to an auto '86. I have all the bits and the upper bow bracket, but this lower one is NLA. Looks to just sandwich the rubber bushing to isolate the back of the shift plate..?

Comment

Yeah, My guess would be it's to isolate NVH and so the shifter moves with the trans instead of flexing between the trans and the body. Mine's solid mounted back there.
                          84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
                          Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Found one. $20 + shipping, oh well.

Name:	IMG_6083.JPG
Views:	819
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	9939304

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                              Found one. $20 + shipping, oh well.

Name:	IMG_6083.JPG
Views:	819
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	9939304
                              be thankful you were able to find one these days! i needed one, many years ago, and had one hell of a time finding it - for any price.

Comment

Yep. Ordered a new rubber bushing for it.

I'm still confused about how this all attaches - The upper and lower steel bows bolt together at the stud. They hold the rubber bushing, which fits in the hole in the shift plate. Does this assembly actually hang from the tunnel sheet metal? I haven't seen a manual installation in person. Otherwise it's all cantilevered off the two forward shift tower mounts at the rear of the gear case.
                                Last edited by LateFan; 07-20-2020, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X