No announcement yet.

PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've not had heat in my 318is for about 2 years. I decided to fix that this winter, because the damn car is SO cold to drive I can't enjoy it. Feels like I'm driving an ice block.

So I researched the heater core and heater valve situation and I've replaced that + new aluminum pipes. Heater valve now operates as intended. Flushed and filled my coolant system which I've done about 30 or more times since I've owned this (damn) car - still no go on the heat. No overheating, needle is dead center at full hot. No warmth flowing through the pipes.

So I looked behind the engine and noticed that the coolant hoses look slightly impinged, but no heat coming to or from the heater core. So that could be troublesome.

I am going to remove my upper and lower intake manifolds and replace with new OEM heater core inlet/outlet hoses. Now that I've seen what the hoses look like, I don't think they are the original hoses. I think the culprit may be a blockage now in my secondary thermostat. I haven't yanked it out yet but the secondary looks to be quite pitted and who knows what the inside looks like. I know I may be able to probably clean it but - fuck it - I'll just replace it.

So yeah.. so much work to this car in the last year. Just want to drive this damn thing! Can't wait for summer.

My 1991 318is Progression Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Nairb View Post
      I've not had heat in my 318is for about 2 years. I decided to fix that this winter, because the damn car is SO cold to drive I can't enjoy it. Feels like I'm driving an ice block.

So I researched the heater core and heater valve situation and I've replaced that + new aluminum pipes. Heater valve now operates as intended. Flushed and filled my coolant system which I've done about 30 or more times since I've owned this (damn) car - still no go on the heat. No overheating, needle is dead center at full hot. No warmth flowing through the pipes.

So I looked behind the engine and noticed that the coolant hoses look slightly impinged, but no heat coming to or from the heater core. So that could be troublesome.

I am going to remove my upper and lower intake manifolds and replace with new OEM heater core inlet/outlet hoses. Now that I've seen what the hoses look like, I don't think they are the original hoses. I think the culprit may be a blockage now in my secondary thermostat. I haven't yanked it out yet but the secondary looks to be quite pitted and who knows what the inside looks like. I know I may be able to probably clean it but - fuck it - I'll just replace it.

So yeah.. so much work to this car in the last year. Just want to drive this damn thing! Can't wait for summer.
      FWIW, i have never put one of those atrocities back in. what a silly waste of time. eliminate it altogether, i bet you'll have working heat again. good luck!
      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Did you get a chance to ban that list of people I sent ya? lol
        I just laid down the ban hammer. let me know if I missed any..
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I'm fixing up the E46 donor- pathetically, I've had to get the stupid skuzzy thing
          to actually run well before I can strip it. I'm now an official MS43 noob. I can
          brick the DME faster than you can boot Scanner 1.4. Now I'm debating how
          much E46 to use- the ABS is kinda awesome if that's the sort of thing I want,
          but the DSC has to stay in the donor chassis.

I wish I could blow ALL the airbags with the computer. But it doesn't look like
          that's an option, unless there's a secret verboten German kommand that I'm missing.

I did manage to get the convertible top to comprehensively mangle itself- I was kinda proud of that.

So, yeah, there, I've bump't this thred.

t
          kinda bored, not motivated to work on ANYTHING right now.
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
            kinda bored, not motivated to work on ANYTHING right now.
            yup, you're not the only one. had to change the clutch master (again) on my m5 a few weeks ago, that used up pretty much all the interest i had in working on cars for the year.

Comment

I'm still alive. my dumpster fire E30 is still alive, and still M60 swapped....
              Thought I'd drop in.
              Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

I took an E36 shell to the scrapper today.
                $85 richer, for 1500 lbs of solid German undercoating.

E21 shell a couple of years ago was only $20, but I don't remember what it weighed.

This- all gets me 1 step closer to putting an M54B30 into the E30 shell.
                Driving the E46 makes me really want that engine in an E30.
                I refuse to grow a bushybushy beard, or wear ass- hugger elastopants.

t
                not quite drunk. But headed that direction.
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

When I drove Steves M54 swapped car back in 2012 it was life changing. That torque in an E30 is fantastic. You wont regret it
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Does this mean I'll get a better job, get in shape and have a social life once I get this thing going?

What have I been waiting for???

t
                    fatslob mode

Comment

Sharing some photos from the Group 2 cars and coffee. Only 1 e30 there but maybe someone here owns one of the other cars...

Group 2 Automotive Cars and Coffee Woodinville, Washington - R3VLimited Forums

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

M54b30 out of disgusting e46 vert and sitting in the barn.
                        E30 sitting in the back corner just needing an engine.

60,000 other things to do, but I want to start making 2 into 1...
                        crap. Do I have a clutch? I do not remember...

t
                        bumping thread, no?
                        Last edited by TobyB; 06-10-2021, 07:58 PM.

Comment

My LQ9 and e30 are finally in the same shop, at the same time...
                          84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
                          Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Let's set a minor record and have two posts in one DAY!
                            Finally got my trim repainted, and of course, waited to buff the paint out until I put the trim back on. 'Cause why not make more work for myself?
                            Finished the buffing and waxing last night. Seemed like a good time to post a pic of the old girl..
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9110.JPG Views:	0 Size:	125.7 KB ID:	10021202
                            Last edited by Curt Hayes; 06-11-2021, 04:07 PM. Reason: more detailz
                            S52-Powered 1987
                            sigpic

Comment

Where did everyone in the NW go?

I got my LSe30 running. I've been commuting from Tacoma to Seattle all week. With no hood. It's fun. I have big grin.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210914_231715014.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	10031150
                              84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
                              Manual swap all the things!

Comment

let's see pics of your b5s4 avant. i really want one. horrible idea, but i'm all about those.

Comment

Working...
                                X