PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
    you know how many Pro-3 guys have said,"damn, wish I had never removed all the sound deadening in the trunk/back seat/floor.."

Hence why I didn't go it, it's free ballast in the lowest position of the car, and if you ever plan to run in any sort of class, it's legal. I would have stripped out the sunroof before worrying about the "tar" in the trunk; that's a large amount of weight exactly where you don't want it (up high.) That or switch to headers, or only an electric fan (remove parasitic drag), or change your windows to Lexan, or remove the AC..

Just sayin'.

Leave it to BMW engineers to know whats best.
    Well said.
    sigpic

Comment

I removed it to fit my subwoofer box. I could of removed just the front portion, but decided to do it all

And it is ballast, BUT it could be redone and replicated

Comment

BUT it could be redone and replicated
        Not if you eventually go to race the car, most classes won't let you replace it once it's removed. Kind of like a grandfather clause.. For instance, in Pro-3, the stock tank is legal, but if you remove it to go to a fuel cell, the fuel cell most be re-enforced, and be x-amount away from the exhaust, be aft of the axle....etc. That is why the vast majority of Pro-3 guys leave the stock tank in, because you couldn't have asked for better placement, forward of the rear axle and lowest point of the car.

I think is was discussed here before about how (on the stock motor) going to an open element style air filter (like a K&N cone style) provided no real advantage, and may have actually dropped a few ponies.
        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
        2016 Ford Flex
        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

you know how many Pro-3 guys have said,"damn, wish I had never removed all the sound deadening in the trunk/back seat/floor.."

Hence why I didn't go it, it's free ballast in the lowest position of the car, and if you ever plan to run in any sort of class, it's legal. I would have stripped out the sunroof before worrying about the "tar" in the trunk; that's a large amount of weight exactly where you don't want it (up high.) That or switch to headers, or only an electric fan (remove parasitic drag), or change your windows to Lexan, or remove the AC..

Just sayin'.
          What are sunroofs and trunk tar.

Comment

I wish I would have left mine in.
            Jeremy-how did your wife do in the Portland marathon?

Comment

Well its out. I just wish I didn't remove the way I did, dry ice would of left no scratches on the paint underneath... lol

I want a subwoofer damn it! Thats why it is out

Comment

4:52 which is about 5 minutes off her goal, but pretty damn good! I did the 10K in 43:40 which was good for 30th out of 195 (average 7:02 mile.) Was pretty good weather for everyone..
                2016 Ford Flex

Comment

What do you think of sparying bed liner in the trunk where the tar was, or even just black satin spray paint? Only bitch of it would be taping off all the stuff... but it would look nice!

Comment

^ That's not a bad idea honestly.
                    -Erik
                    '16 Focus 2.0L - '99 Protegé DX 1.6L POS (Sold) - '87 4runner 22R-E (Sold) - '86 Schwarz S50 (Sold) - '02 WRX Wagon (sold) - '07 Impreza 2.5i (sold) - '91 Alpine M52 (Sold) - '89 Alpine 325is (Sold)

Originally posted by 87e30
                    I just want to dance with some beezies

Comment

Gotta remember what that "tar" was originally intended to do = reduce noise and vibration. I would think if you are installing a sub (unless you like rattling a an 80's Honda with a cheap sub) you are going to want some to dampen the vibration in the rear. Truck bed liner is a good option, just really make sure you prep the hell out of the area before you spray.
                      2016 Ford Flex

Comment

^ Lol how many E30s have you owned?
                        -Erik
                        '16 Focus 2.0L - '99 Protegé DX 1.6L POS (Sold) - '87 4runner 22R-E (Sold) - '86 Schwarz S50 (Sold) - '02 WRX Wagon (sold) - '07 Impreza 2.5i (sold) - '91 Alpine M52 (Sold) - '89 Alpine 325is (Sold)

Comment

Why?

nothing rattles, unless your shit sucks, real bad

Comment

Yeah Stephen, nothing rattles... Ever... Exactly.
                            -Erik

Comment

FWIW, 5toes, I'm running a sub in my tar trunk late model and the only rattles I have come from my license plate and my tool kit. Djjerme is right. The tar helps to dampen the sound a lot.

But if you're happy, that's all that matters.
                              '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

4:52 which is about 5 minutes off her goal, but pretty damn good! I did the 10K in 43:40 which was good for 30th out of 195 (average 7:02 mile.) Was pretty good weather for everyone..
                                That's awesome! It was good to see you and meet your wife on Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                                X