PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
    Is there a vin to look up on the head to verify production date? I would just connect whatever solid gray wire you have left over to your check engine light.
    If it's on the back of the head like a quick google search says it is, then I haven't a clue as I wasn't bright enough to locate it before I put the motor in. :D
    84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
    Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Well, that sucks. Connect the rest of your wires and if you have a solid gray hanging out, wire it up.
      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Yeah, they're all put on the back of the head. It's a sticker, not sure if there's any way you could peel it off.

Comment

Look with a mirror??

Jon

sigpic

Comment

rather ask you local guys first but anyone want to buy a memphis 8inch sub with a pioneer 760watt amp? it kicks pretty well

86 blue 325e 4dr- Totaled :[
            89 red 535i 4dr- sold
            87 black 325e 2dr- DD
            84 black 533i 4dr- project

Comment

I can't catch a break. Fired off the m50 and it's BILLOWING white smoke. So much for trusting craigslist.
              84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350

Comment

Anybody have a 410 LSD or 426lsd from a 91 auto vert? I need some tire burning ratio for my 6

Jon

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by iansane View Post
                  I can't catch a break. Fired off the m50 and it's BILLOWING white smoke. So much for trusting craigslist.
                  That's waffleswaffleswaffleswafflesed. Wow. How much did you pay for it? Compression check? How long did you let it run for?

Comment

Sure it's smoke?

Comment

FWIW, my S50 smoked for a bit on first start up. It stopped once the DME learned its tune and it had time to run for a while. No smoke now. It sat with no intake or exhaust manifolds for two years or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
                        That's waffleswaffleswaffleswafflesed. Wow. How much did you pay for it? Compression check? How long did you let it run for?
                        $400 intake to oilpan with harness/ecm/acc/etc. It was pulled when I got there but he told me the compression numbers he "supposedly" did before he yanked it. Said it ran well but trans was boned. I let it idle for ~5 minutes or so before I saw coolant pouring out of the exhaust.

Comment

$400 intake to oilpan with harness/ecm/acc/etc. It was pulled when I got there but he told me the compression numbers he "supposedly" did before he yanked it. Said it ran well but trans was boned. I let it idle for ~5 minutes or so before I saw coolant pouring out of the exhaust.
                          Well, disregard my last post then. I'm so sorry man. That's weak as shit.

Comment

Yup. Sucks. I've had just shit luck with motors for this thing lately. I guess I'm looking at minimum; HG and head surfacing. Anything I should be looking for when I tear this apart?

Comment

Yup. Sucks. I've had just shit luck with motors for this thing lately. I guess I'm looking at minimum; HG and head surfacing. Anything I should be looking for when I tear this apart?
                              Replace the timing chain tensioner with the S52 hydraulic unit while it's apart (not a hard job either way, but "while you're in there."

When you pull the head off, look for cracks around the cooling jackets, particularly the ones closest to the combustion chamber, since it was blowing coolant out of there. 24v motors are notorious for that.

Comment

Thanks for the insight.

For the tensioner, OE unit or are there aftermarket brands that are acceptable?

Comment

Working...
                                X