PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MT325is View Post
    Thanks guys! I'll have to find him somehow. Wanna see a dyno sheet:)
    S54? Well well well.. He went a different route!
    I don't understand all of you "nerds" that build computers! That stuff is crazy!
    A buddy if mine built a water cooled one.. That thing is crazy!
    Not saying a nerd is bad.. Just for understand how your brains work so well!
    watercooled is cool but unless your overclocking like a bouss and running multiple cards i think its a little dumb.

I was going to get the 7870 for now and possibly buy another and do crossfire until i feel like dropping money on a 690
    1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
    willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by AustinK425 View Post

Why weren't you at xxx man
      Been busy with my own projects and stuff. These "Car Shows" have kind of been bumped back a few notches on my priority list. Hopefully I can come out more often after next weekend. Should have the 2.7i in by this Sunday, but with a Wedding trip to AZ in August, and moving into our own house in March, I really need to be smart with how I budget my time, and money. Than aside from the cars, there's friends and family. Miss you guys though.
      clutchCTRL!
      Move with a purpose.
      - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
      - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
      - 2000 323i AT
      2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Just glad to have something "new" to show you guys after I come out. The iX has been the same for far too long.
        clutchCTRL!
        Move with a purpose.
        - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
        - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
        - 2000 323i AT
        2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
          building computers is easy! Everything is made to go together - its like assembling a model but easier!
          It scares me because it's electronics... And I waffleswaffleswaffleswafflesing hate them!
          I learned some stuff about wiring in auto shop.. Got to where I actually understand something and then finished that class.. Now back to ZERO! I understand there are no sensors wiring harness etc on a computer.. But the thought if it scares me!
          sigpic

1989 BMW 325is (SOLD)
          1990 BMW 325i Brilliantrot (SOLD)
          1992 BMW 325IC (SOLD)
          1991 BMW 318IS (STOLEN!)

2017 BMW M2 (WEEKEND WARRIOR)
          (GRIGIO TELESTO RESPRAY, FULL BOLT ONS, TUNE-HPFP AND TURBO UPGRADE COMING AFTER WARRANTY IS DONE)
          1989 BMW 325IC (PROJECT(
          2002 FORD ESCAPE (DAILY)
          2001 BMW 330CI (FOR SALE SOON)

"R3v, being a bunch of cheap bastards that would try to negotiate a discount on a free engine,"

Comment

Originally posted by MT325is View Post
            It scares me because it's electronics... And I waffleswaffleswaffleswafflesing hate them!
            I learned some stuff about wiring in auto shop.. Got to where I actually understand something and then finished that class.. Now back to ZERO! I understand there are no sensors wiring harness etc on a computer.. But the thought if it scares me!
            PC builds are pretty easy too, most of the wires come with it and all you do is plug the wires into the holes they go into. What becomes annoying is if you have OCD tendencies like me and want to make sure your wire routing is all perfect and hidden so you can't see them.
            willschnitz

Comment

Buy WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

all you need

Will - remember my case at Aarons? that cooler master is massive and I picked it up for $70 or less. I built my pc ages ago lol

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136533

all you need

Will - remember my case at Aarons? that cooler master is massive and I picked it up for $70 or less. I built my pc ages ago lol
                does it have carry handles though?
                willschnitz

Comment

If someone brings me $200 and a case of redbull ill give you all my 318is parts. PM me if you want a list, I want them gone and i need the redbull for these final papers.
                  willschnitz

Comment

Since the 6 isn't running (well not moving) right now I decided to do the rear pads and rotors. I'm going to take the car into gerber on Wednesday and have them get it all buttoned up.

The wife was complaining that I shouldn't have to take my car to a body shop and have them weld it up. She thinks I should just do it myself, but I am not so hot at welding and I don't care to learn at the moment. She thinks its gonna be an arm and a leg to get it fixed. Oh my god she needs to stop thinking once in a while.

Jon

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                      watercooled is cool but unless your overclocking like a bouss and running multiple cards i think its a little dumb.

I was going to get the 7870 for now and possibly buy another and do crossfire until i feel like dropping money on a 690
                      Building a PC has never been easier...EVER! Motherbaord, HD, Video, Ram, CPU, PSU, Cables. If you're in the market for building one, just grab the new Haswell processor that was just released. I am assuming you don't have a Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge processor based on the Ivy chip you were looking at.

that case is too much
                      the ram is meh - I prefer Mushkin
                      you WILL need a DVD drive
                      250gb aint shit for HDD

I got my Western Digital Black 1TB for like $75 2 years ago - great HDD
                      His case pricing is toilet paper $$$ compared to what I spend, I even have a picture in the R3v (purchase) thread on a $500 670GTX I paid for at the time. Believe my then $400 800D is in their as well :???: My new keyboard the K70 from Corsair is $130, so at least you know why my car isn't all flashy like everyone else's. $700 for a computer is a steal.

As far as Intel prices on Processor(s), when Ivy came out, Sandy stayed the same, hell even Lynnfield prices were going up on their higher end items at various 3rd party shops. I wouldn't expect any drop in prices let alone at all since the speed bump increase from Sandy ~ Ivy ~ Haswell is in the range of 10-20%

Memory prices have started to rise a few months before Haswell's release, which of course no thanks to a new processor release, which means new builds.

If you have any concerns, shoot me a PM & I'll help anyway possible, even sitting on the phone telling you how to build the thing.

Suggestions for your build:

PSU must be in compliance with Intel's new Haswell spectrums. You have to remember that the Haswell chip's are a lot different in terms of power usage versus Sandy/Ivy. Corsair & other's have posted a list of PSU's that work within these new power levels. Haswell is a mobile release FYI!

Hard Drive should be 500GB/1TB, 7200RPM speed, 64M Buffer Cache & from Western Digital only. Seagate bought out Samsung, & even though both have done great for me. Western Digital is still king.

Memory, could go 16GB if the budget allows, but you won't be hurting going 8GB now & adding 8GB later, just know that if you go with the latter, the stick kit needs to be 100% the same.

Onboard Video, the new HD4600 from Haswell's product line actually isn't bad at all. You will be able to play most game's @ a resolution of 1920 x 1080 on the lowest settings of course, but get between 23-35 FPS which is an improvement.

Discrete Video: Nvidia just released a new line of cards itself, so forget the 690. Be better off getting the new GTX770 or 780. I'm looking at the GTX770 from MSI

DVD drive could be one of the many $10-20 one's unless you're looking into Blu-ray.

Cooling: Haswell does run hot, so an aftermarket cooler isn't a bad idea later down the road. It'll also help if you decide to Overclock as well.

Good luck sir.
                      Last edited by HarukoE30; 06-03-2013, 07:50 PM. Reason: edit
                      Originally posted by James Crivellone
                      1) The internet is NOT serious business.

Comment

If someone brings me $200 and a case of redbull ill give you all my 318is parts. PM me if you want a list, I want them gone and i need the redbull for these final papers.
                        Donate them to me and you'll get your case of redbull.

Comment

How to check a engine that is out of the car for any cracks... tell me. other then visula inspection.
                          sigpic

1989 BMW 325is (SOLD)
                          1990 BMW 325i Brilliantrot (SOLD)
                          1992 BMW 325IC (SOLD)
                          1991 BMW 318IS (STOLEN!)

2017 BMW M2 (WEEKEND WARRIOR)
                          (GRIGIO TELESTO RESPRAY, FULL BOLT ONS, TUNE-HPFP AND TURBO UPGRADE COMING AFTER WARRANTY IS DONE)
                          1989 BMW 325IC (PROJECT(
                          2002 FORD ESCAPE (DAILY)
                          2001 BMW 330CI (FOR SALE SOON)

"R3v, being a bunch of cheap bastards that would try to negotiate a discount on a free engine,"

Comment

Originally posted by AustinK425 View Post

Donate them to me and you'll get your case of redbull.
                            willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by HarukoE30 View Post
                              Building a PC has never been easier...EVER! Motherbaord, HD, Video, Ram, CPU, PSU, Cables. If you're in the market for building one, just grab the new Haswell processor that was just released. I am assuming you don't have a Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge processor based on the Ivy chip you were looking at.

His case pricing is toilet paper $$$ compared to what I spend, I even have a picture in the R3v (purchase) thread on a $500 670GTX I paid for at the time. Believe my then $400 800D is in their as well :???: My new keyboard the K70 from Corsair is $130, so at least you know why my car isn't all flashy like everyone else's. $700 for a computer is a steal.

As far as Intel prices on Processor(s), when Ivy came out, Sandy stayed the same, hell even Lynnfield prices were going up on their higher end items at various 3rd party shops. I wouldn't expect any drop in prices let alone at all since the speed bump increase from Sandy ~ Ivy ~ Haswell is in the range of 10-20%

Memory prices have started to rise a few months before Haswell's release, which of course no thanks to a new processor release, which means new builds.

If you have any concerns, shoot me a PM & I'll help anyway possible, even sitting on the phone telling you how to build the thing.

Suggestions for your build:

PSU must be in compliance with Intel's new Haswell spectrums. You have to remember that the Haswell chip's are a lot different in terms of power usage versus Sandy/Ivy. Corsair & other's have posted a list of PSU's that work within these new power levels. Haswell is a mobile release FYI!

Hard Drive should be 500GB/1TB, 7200RPM speed, 64M Buffer Cache & from Western Digital only. Seagate bought out Samsung, & even though both have done great for me. Western Digital is still king.

Memory, could go 16GB if the budget allows, but you won't be hurting going 8GB now & adding 8GB later, just know that if you go with the latter, the stick kit needs to be 100% the same.

Onboard Video, the new HD4600 from Haswell's product line actually isn't bad at all. You will be able to play most game's @ a resolution of 1920 x 1080 on the lowest settings of course, but get between 23-35 FPS which is an improvement.

Discrete Video: Nvidia just released a new line of cards itself, so forget the 690. Be better off getting the new GTX770 or 780. I'm looking at the GTX770 from MSI

DVD drive could be one of the many $10-20 one's unless you're looking into Blu-ray.

Cooling: Haswell does run hot, so an aftermarket cooler isn't a bad idea later down the road. It'll also help if you decide to Overclock as well.

Good luck sir.
                              Thanks, I think I'm going to run a 7870 for now because it comes with 5-6 games and you can run crossfire, plus the pricing is significantly cheaper, believe me, I REALLLY want a Nvidia card because I believe they are top dog when it comes to video hardware.

RAM is at 8gb to save cost, id rather have 16 believe me.

I believe the PSU is good, My friend just built a setup very similar to this, the only changes being ram brand and DVD/Wireless card and HDD.

Ill take note, i wont have the money till like july so no hurry
                              willschnitz

Comment

I run a 7770 right now and I just got it for a good $60 less than that card. Runs snything I throw at it pretty well...
                                Just my 2c. :-)
                                sigpic
                                Currently without an e30. Will probably die soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X