No announcement yet.

PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

or i might just fix all of the body and primer everything at home, then rent a spray booth and do the car there. idk yet.
    My Build Thread

My Transaction Feedback

Comment

Life is too short for bodywork

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
      -Peter
      '86 S52 coupe | Cotm: 6/18
      '91 318is slicktop project
      '14 F15 X5 35d M Sport
      '00 Tundra

Comment

Originally posted by Habla View Post
        Life is too short for bodywork

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
        i'm not going to spend a million hours making it perfect. but i do want it to look nice. my car is getting swapped eventually, so i will be driving it pretty hard.

i don't want it to be soo nice that i'm worried about rock chips and so forth, so paying somebody to paint it isn't gonna work for me.

figure i can do it all myself for less than $400 in supplies and have it look almost as good as a body shop. should probably be able to finish in within a month just working on it 2 days a week.
        My Build Thread

My Transaction Feedback

Comment

Detail it
          -Peter
          '14 F15 X5 35d M Sport
          '00 Tundra

Comment

Originally posted by Habla View Post
            Detail it
            detailing it isn't going to get out years of rock chips, door dings and rusty rock chips and spots where it got keyed apparently.
            it may help with the oxidation. but this will look nicer, all new fresh paint/clear :)
            My Build Thread

My Transaction Feedback

Comment

- Derp

Comment

Originally posted by moreoff View Post
                detailing it isn't going to get out years of rock chips, door dings and rusty rock chips and spots where it got keyed apparently.
                it may help with the oxidation. but this will look nicer, all new fresh paint/clear :)
                :up: nice work, it will make you all the more proud of your car when you tell somebody "I DIYed the paint." Nothing like rolling down the street on a sunny day in a clean, dent free, beautiful car !
                -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                Originally posted by roguetoaster
                Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by DER E30 View Post
                  :up: nice work, it will make you all the more proud of your car when you tell somebody "I DIYed the paint." Nothing like rolling down the street on a sunny day in a clean, dent free, beautiful car !
                  thank you. pretty much why i decided to do it myself. i want to be able to say i did almost all of the work on the car myself.

not to mention the money i save DIYng the paint can be put towards other things.

and if i pay for an entire paint job, i'll get upset whenever i get a new rock chip or door ding, if it happens now, oh well i will know how to fix it.

the rear piece came out perfect with primer, about to wet sand it today.

i have an alpine replacement driver's side fender that i'm going to sand/primer today, (my current one is rusty at the bottom)

i'll post pics of todays progress this evening my plan is to do the sunroof/doors/hood/trunk/fenders/bumpers all separate and off the car. then spray the body, then put all the parts back on :)
                  My Build Thread

My Transaction Feedback

Comment

anyone got tips for removing the '325i' logo off my trunk lid? i was thinking a blow dryer and some dental floss... (this is how i did an old truck i had) :???:
                    My Build Thread

My Transaction Feedback

Comment

shit, forgot i was going to de-badge the car today. i got side tracked fixing more rust.

entire trunk is now rust free and seal/primed and ready for real paint tomorrow. had a few rust holes underneath my trunk lid seal that were leaking water into the trunk, all fixed now. i'll post trunk pics tomorrow when it's all painted.

also did some cosmetic work today, shaved my antenna. i removed the antenna and sanded the area.

i bought some wire mesh screen door repair kit stuff. i used jb-weld to secure it inside the trunk and let it set for 20 minutes. and then i used some steel stick on the external part and smashed it down into the mesh/jb weld. shaped it a little, then let it set for an hour. giving me this.

then once it was as hard as a rock, i got a foam sanding sponge and went to town on it. now i have this.

need to prime it and wetsand it, but it's going to look like i never even had an antenna :)
                      My Build Thread

My Transaction Feedback

Comment

This happened today.

Comment

Originally posted by Twelvizm View Post
                          This happened today.
                          NICE! looking super clean in there!
                          My Build Thread

My Transaction Feedback

Comment

Thanks. A couple things need attention. The battery has long been relocated to the trunk, but the battery tray in the engine bay remains. And the brackets for the stock air box are unneeded as well. The battery tray is going to die. But all the other things in the bay are fine. This car afterall will just be a fun weekend toy, not any kind of show car.

Comment

Good looking bucket.
                              '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Now fill that bucket with 6 cylinders!
                                -Peter
                                '14 F15 X5 35d M Sport
                                '00 Tundra

Comment

Working...
                                X