No announcement yet.

PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a spreadsheet of all the parts I've purchased/want to purchase/sold

As of right now I'm at $6653 including what I paid for the car. That is after two years of ownership, doing all my own repairs (for the most part), and getting many parts cheap through CL and the like.
    1987 325 w/ M52b28 - Bronzit
    2007 X3 - Platinum Bronze

Comment

..and don't include normal maintenance costs - that'll just bum you out. Whatever you're driving would include those costs just to have it. Only include the fun bits and the restoration / swap bits.

Comment

I would guess about $16k into mine ;D

Daniel
        1990 M3 - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=376104
        2011 328i Sport Wagon - 6sp Manual, RWD, Sport

Comment

Car: $2500
          Maintenance: $200
          Engine/transmission: $11,000
          Differential: $1,500

Then there are all of the fun bits. Surprised that maintenance was actually such a non issue for a 175k car when I bought it. The M42 was peppy as hell.
          Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
          2013 Zboard San Francisco Special
          2010 Buell XB9SX
          2009 Harley-Davidson 883 Iron - "Xerces"
          1991 BMW 362iS Touring - "Stephanie/The Death Machine 2.0"
          1974 Honda CB360/CL360 Scrambler Project
          1971 Honda Trail 90 - "Stephen Parish"
          2008 Saab 9-3 Convertible
          2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

I dont keep track. I dont see a need to. I keep receipts etc. But never add it up.

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-B View Post
              I dont keep track. I dont see a need to. I keep receipts etc. But never add it up.
              This. NEVER add it up!
              -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
              08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
              318iS, slow build/garage queen...
              '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
              Originally posted by roguetoaster
              Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Hey if it makes you happy its priceless.
                1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                  Hey if it makes you happy its priceless.
                  I'm so glad that you're not a math major.

And wait until you see what your insurance provider cashes you out before you bring up the value of happiness.
                  Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
                  2010 Buell XB9SX
                  2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

Originally posted by OldDrunkenSailor View Post
                    I'm so glad that you're not a math major.

And wait until you see what your insurance provider cashes you out before you bring up the value of happiness.

Who do you have for insurance? If you can find similar cars (hard in your case i know) theres a good chance you can get a little closer to the amount needed for it. Especially if you still have receipts.
                    willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post

Who do you have for insurance? If you can find similar cars (hard in your case i know) theres a good chance you can get a little closer to the amount needed for it. Especially if you still have receipts.
                      Receipts *never* are valuable. Your insurance company effectively uses kbb unless you have agreed value and agreed value works best for classic/exotic cars. If you put a $20k paint job on a Honda civic, no receipts in the world will get an insurance company to give a shit when it gets hit.
                      Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
                      2010 Buell XB9SX
                      2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

Receipts *never* are valuable. Your insurance company effectively uses kbb unless you have agreed value and agreed value works best for classic/exotic cars. If you put a $20k paint job on a Honda civic, no receipts in the world will get an insurance company to give a shit when it gets hit.
                        they will use NADA for classics, I got 7250 for my 88 just by linking equal condition cars nearby.
                        willschnitz

Comment

Yes and no. My trans am rolled down a hill a couple years ago and was totaled out. (I of course bought it back). The insurance company originally offered 5k for it and I laughed. I had had no experience with ins companies before that and thought that was ludicrous. Luckily they had a separate division or something that was a bit more experienced in dealing with older modified cars that people sunk money into and didn't get a stated value. I got real lucky that someone knew how rare my car was and gave me an offer of a hair over 10k after I flooded their fax machine with almost a ream of receipts.

Again, I got really lucky. Now it's stated value policies for me!
                          84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
                          Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Originally posted by Pdxseth View Post
                            How much have you guys spent on your e30's (only including parts on the car) I'm roughly 11.5k into mine. And that's not counting the m50 or the pile of parts I'm collecting for the swap, that's just as the car sat before the teardown.

I honestly only expected to be around 5k but shit just kept adding up and I've gotten a lot of great deals (like the $350 euro donor)
                            geesh, looks like I am doing pretty good compared to others:

1st E30, Germany, 1991 316i
                            $400 for the car, another about $100 to get it to pass TUV and get registered, another $300 to rebuild the top end when the exwife overheated it, sold for $1500

2nd E30, US, 1987 325ES
                            $1000 for the car, (hit in the front), another $200 in body panels, front frame was too bent for me to fix, sold to someone for parts $1500.

3rd E30 (current car) 1987 325e
                            $1000 for the car, about another $2000 in random parts, brings me to where it is now. I'm still planning on a lot more, and I am expecting to spend at least another 5k in the outrun just to "finish" it. This doesn't include body work...
                            Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

If I had a 324TD motor from an e30 with a stick, any thoughts as to what it might be worth to someone in our fair PNW? Roughly 88k miles.
                              Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
                              2010 Buell XB9SX
                              2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

If I had a 324TD motor from an e30 with a stick, any thoughts as to what it might be worth to someone in our fair PNW? Roughly 88k miles.

Idk but I would love to have it

Comment

Working...
                                X