No announcement yet.

PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engineering is the way to go, we just have a saying called premature optimization. Two years from now we'll see how 1) "easy" those companies are, 2) if there are still only two categories of places you can work, and 3) if you even continue with the degree that you're starting.

Looks like you're heading towards the Ops side of the house, always a place that will be in dire need of good folks. Sit in the front row of every lecture, buddy up with your profs, and kill it, boy.
    Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
    2013 Zboard San Francisco Special
    2010 Buell XB9SX
    2009 Harley-Davidson 883 Iron - "Xerces"
    1991 BMW 362iS Touring - "Stephanie/The Death Machine 2.0"
    1974 Honda CB360/CL360 Scrambler Project
    1971 Honda Trail 90 - "Stephen Parish"
    2008 Saab 9-3 Convertible
    2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

Yeah I definitely want to stay in engineering, Im just assuming amazon/google will be more laid back in 4 years. I of course wont know the real outcome till after im out of college but with my father working at amazon he's been talking how they cant hire enough cause of the high burn out, and that they are starting to slow it down a little to keep their good workers.

But time will tell, maybe ill switch degrees again down the road.
      1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
      willschnitz

Comment

There you go, nice to keep your options open.
        clutchCTRL!
        Move with a purpose.
        - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
        - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
        - 2000 323i AT
        2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
          Yeah I definitely want to stay in engineering, Im just assuming amazon/google will be more laid back in 4 years. I of course wont know the real outcome till after im out of college but with my father working at amazon he's been talking how they cant hire enough cause of the high burn out, and that they are starting to slow it down a little to keep their good workers.

But time will tell, maybe ill switch degrees again down the road.
          Lots of options if you have a hardware/software background. Hardware only is pretty limited. I also doubt that the slow down will be enough to keep the talented employees. Amazon is going to have to become more google like in my opinion with bennies.
          Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Amazon has a legacy of being awful and succeeding somehow, I don't see that changing, it's bred into their corporate culture. You can't swing a ship that big quickly, especially when they lose over $50m per quarter.

The corporate world needs to figure out that it costs a TON to keep rehiring for positions lost to places that do little things like feed their employees and not treat them like disposable resources.
            Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
            2010 Buell XB9SX
            2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

I agree, didn't Amazon finally gain a profit one of these last quarters? Thought it read that, but yeah hope the whole employing process changes a bit.
              willschnitz

Comment

Doubt it, but who knows.

For all the great public sentiment, Amazon, HP, Adobe, Apple, so many companies are completely awful to be at. It's a shame that they have the intrinsic popularity despite working conditions.
                Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
                2010 Buell XB9SX
                2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

Hey PNWers.

I'm looking for a cheap setup to lower the e30 I just bought. Not looking for anything crazy, just for looks. Anybody have anything laying around?

07 Designio E63 AMG / 1984 318i (M20Swapped)

Comment

God I can't wait to leave this city's horrible traffic. It's literally stop and go from 220th to renton today.....
                    willschnitz

Comment

Meanwhile I ride the bus from Downtown to Kenmore park and ride. I sleep the whole way (if i'm not playing my 3ds or playing with my phone.) 2.50 one way (just one bus), and my iX or FUJI is always waiting for me. I've been keeping the IX under a car cover 6 days out of the week, I usually drive it to the P and R on Fridays. I get some excercise too, walking from 6th and Pike up to 12th and Olive.

I feel bad for everyone sitting in traffic on lake city way. Literally, taking the bus to commute from Bothell/Kenmore to Seattle everyday - one of the best decisions i've ever made.

I went from spending around 150.00 in parking a month plus about 60-80.00 every two weeks in gas to park in Seattle in a pay lot to get door dings from fucking construction guys who park in the same lot. I love working down here but if it was any harder, i'd have to start reconsidering.

Leaving a corporate type setting and getting into a family type - independent shop was the best thing I could've done for myself as well. I've been here over 6 years, started washing cars and I don't see myself leaving in next 5-10 years or so - Job Security is something I don't worry much about as the coworkers I work with have been here for over 10-15+ years each. My plan is to work here making my bread and butter money and maybe figure something out on the side to make some extra dough doing something I love.

When you move, you may end up missing the traffic, lol.
                      clutchCTRL!
                      Move with a purpose.
                      - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                      - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                      - 2000 323i AT
                      2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

I won't miss the traffic lol, we have to drive u hauls down to renton to pack the abf semi. And I just sat in traffic 1.5 hours.
                        willschnitz

Comment

To be honest, traffic has never really bothered me. I don't sit in it every day but every car I have is enjoyable enough that even sitting in stop and go from Bothell to Gig Harbor (my usual trek) will still make me smile. It's only killed me if I'm running late or pressed for time. Although I am really considering A/C going back into my rigs. Just wish it weren't so expensive!
                          84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
                          Manual swap all the things!

Comment

I like the idea of checks coming from multiple origins, so having a staple job, and something like, a product, small Lathe, 3D printer, Vinyl Wrapping, ETC. Just anything to make supplemental income that is worth the time/money doing something enjoyable.

A good example is "Stitched" she went from Charging $125 to $175 for reupholstering steering wheels I think? Probably sits in front of the TV watching reruns of General Hospital, glancing at the ever growing Paypal account.

Comment

Edit: trashed.

Hope I can clean the e30 for tomorrow.
                              Last edited by Wschnitz; 06-27-2015, 06:11 PM.
                              willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by be34st View Post
                                Hey PNWers.

I'm looking for a cheap setup to lower the e30 I just bought. Not looking for anything crazy, just for looks. Anybody have anything laying around?
                                I've got a H&R sport cup kit for sale if your interested Let me know!

Comment

Working...
                                X