No announcement yet.

PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brad, shoot me a PM with that info. Did you have the car towed to the shop or did he come out? Can't wait to get this exhaust done.
    clutchCTRL!
    Move with a purpose.
    - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
    - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
    - 2000 323i AT
    2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

elephant trunk is $30 WTF BMW whyyyyyy whyyyyyyyyyyy.

feel like it should be $10...

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
        What's your issue? I've dealt with pretty much all the issues with 24v cooling systems at this point...ha.
        Last night, I swear the thermostat opened up, and had coolant flowing thru the bottom rad hose, but it was still running hot as if i still had air in the system. And this morning, i try to bleed it again, but this time i ONLY got hot coolant at the top hose, and cold at the bottom

I must have air in the system still? but what confuses me is how both hoses were hot as FUCK last night and why not today? more air still in the system? screw these systems haha

Originally posted by kid325e View Post
        Brad, shoot me a PM with that info. Did you have the car towed to the shop or did he come out? Can't wait to get this exhaust done.

no problem, i'll shoot you a text instead. I have a tradition when getting exhaust work done....drive that bitch open header straight to the shop HAHAH! havent been pulled over yet
        -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
        91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
        08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
        04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
        Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
        Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Originally posted by spiDmang View Post
          and hell ya man! i should be around. My lady wants me to visit her in Moses Lake, but with the conditions over there (heaps of snow and no snow tires), I might not make it in the E30.
          Sounds like you need an iX.
          1988 BMW 325iX - Lachssilber/Cardinal - Gone
          2001 BMW M5 - Anthracite/Black Heritage
          1999 Toyota 4Runner - White/Oak

Comment

Lick me.

Comment

Last night, I swear the thermostat opened up, and had coolant flowing thru the bottom rad hose, but it was still running hot as if i still had air in the system. And this morning, i try to bleed it again, but this time i ONLY got hot coolant at the top hose, and cold at the bottom

I must have air in the system still? but what confuses me is how both hoses were hot as FUCK last night and why not today? more air still in the system? screw these systems haha

It's a really basic system and works very well, IMHO. Here's how I've always done it and have had great success:

E30 M20 late radiator, expansion tank, 80 deg thermostat with hole drilled at 12 o clock (to allow air to escape before thermostat opens)

Fill cooling system through the upper radiator hose (eliminates the chance of bubbles) until full, then fill the expansion tank. Start the car with the cap off, front end elevated, heater on high and all the way hot. Remove small recirculation hose from the top of the radiator, leave it off until you see no bubbles. Voila.

If you're still having an issue at this point, you can drill and install a petcock in the thermostat housing. I've done this on a couple cars and don't really recommend it unless you're having a serious issue.

Best of luck, happy bleeding!
              '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by cg138 View Post
                Sounds like you need an iX.

Do you know where I can get one for free? That'd be great, thaaaaaaaanks.

Lol hi deuce deuce
                08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
                  digital DJ. I have my allen & heath board and use traktor. just got a new job so maybe Ill buy some CDJ's soon! love my allen & heath though, I use it as my computers soundcard when not DJing and music sounds so much better :)

I mostly DJ UKgarage/deep/tech house... tech house definitely being my fave
                  When I did raves, I usually spun Chicago hard house/breaks..etc. Mainly because it was fun to see how fast I could go between tracks. Fastest set I ever did was 15 different tracks in 30 minutes.

Had to slow my mixing down when I started working in clubs. Here in Portland I spun at the Lotus (hip hop/mainstream), Metropolis (r&b/hip hop), Panorama/Boxxes/Brig (Trance/house), Klub Z(trance/house). The last two I often spun for 6 hours straight!

Sometimes miss those days...

Last time I threw down in public was like 4 years ago for a buddies birthday party, and it was a small event at a bar with a couple other people from KNRK..

Reminds me, still need to sell my decks off since I never use them.

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk
                  1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                  2016 Ford Flex
                  2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by Ryann View Post
                    Lick me.

muthaf...uck...er
                    Originally posted by bmwm42
                    PNW vulture pm me for parts
                    Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

The lower hose being hot one time and then cold another, I write off. Every cooling system I've worked on does this and I don't know why. So I quit even checking that.
                      I bleed the system by removing the overflow hose at the rad and hold the expansion tank up as high as I can then fill the tank until coolant comes out the top of the rad. I giggle hoses too.
                      December 24th on I5 my temp gauge pegged red so I pulled over and opened the hood. Nothing. Got back in tapped the gauge and it went to normal. That's the first time it did that. So check your temp gauge that it's working proper. You might not even have a problem.

Comment

When the Cascadia fault line ruptures, it could be North America’s worst natural disaster in recorded history.
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by RainRider View Post
                          The lower hose being hot one time and then cold another, I write off.
                          What works for me is squeezing the hoses(horizontal ones anyways). Not sure why, it might just be a good luck charm. But I squeeze 10-20 times till I can't hear air in them anymore.
                          Originally posted by Matt-B
                          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Well, I guess it's good then that my house is just east of I-5?

Honestly, the bigger threat is the active volcanoes we have everywhere. IF nothing else, St Helen's taught us that having them around blows.

Their top.

(thank you and goodnight.)

Funny thing is, everyone that moves to the PNW suddenly thinks they're the smartest person in the room because "OMG - you know we live near an active fault line and are WAAAYYY overdue for a big one!"

Everyone born here just kinda rolls their eyes, and moves on with their lives.

But hey, if it will keep everyone else from moving here - keep on stoking the fire. Yep, we are screwed up here - it's going to be a huge eruption that sets all the forest on fire followed by a giant, land swallowing earthquake. Even your PDX airport carpet can't save you.. Might as well move back to wherever you came from - it's nothing but Russian Roulette out here.
                            1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                            2016 Ford Flex
                            2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by RainRider View Post
                              The lower hose being hot one time and then cold another, I write off. Every cooling system I've worked on does this and I don't know why. So I quit even checking that.
                              I bleed the system by removing the overflow hose at the rad and hold the expansion tank up as high as I can then fill the tank until coolant comes out the top of the rad. I giggle hoses too.
                              December 24th on I5 my temp gauge pegged red so I pulled over and opened the hood. Nothing. Got back in tapped the gauge and it went to normal. That's the first time it did that. So check your temp gauge that it's working proper. You might not even have a problem.
                              I was thinking this last night when i finally got home from work. Car was sticking at the 3/4 mark, and wouldnt let down (even with the Aux fan rolling on full blast). I get home, jack up the car and proceed to bleed...My initial thought was a stuck closed t-stat, so I said eff it and pulled it. Tested it out, and it opened right up at 195+- degrees (88c)...wtf is going on? could my gauge be reading way wrong? is my 3/4 mark half?! I am so god damn confused on this thing.

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                              What works for me is squeezing the hoses(horizontal ones anyways). Not sure why, it might just be a good luck charm. But I squeeze 10-20 times till I can't hear air in them anymore.
                              I'll get it all back together and test her out again and see. I am also going to drill a hole into the t-stat cuz it didnt have one... didnt realize it didnt until after i pulled it back out
                              08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily

Comment

I am also going to drill a hole into the t-stat cuz it didnt have one... didnt realize it didnt until after i pulled it back out
                                Why would you want to drill a hole in your thermostat? Surely that will just cause you more headaches down the road. You want your engine to warm up to operating temperature as quickly as possible, because when it is cold (or really hot) is when you get the most wear+tear on your engine.

I remember on my e36 after doing the thermostat it immediately shot up into the red when I started driving. In my case I also had air in the system, but just jacking up the front end and loosening the bleed screw on the top of the radiator, then starting the car and running with the heater on seemed to get rid of all the air. I am not familiar enough with your set-up yet, but I imagine the process should be pretty similar.

It could just be that your gauge is not calibrated right. If you know anyone with a temperature gun you could check your hose temperatures to get an idea of your operating temp when your gauge shows 3/4.

And I can't recall now, but isn't the top hose the return hose (gets hot first), and the bottom hose is the feed hose (stays cold longer)? If that is the case the top hose should get warm when your thermostat opens up, and the bottom hose should get warm a short while later, after all of the fluid has circulated through the radiator. Though maybe I have the flow direction backwards.

Daniel
                                1990 M3 - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=376104
                                2011 328i Sport Wagon - 6sp Manual, RWD, Sport

Comment

Working...
                                X