PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ Kids these days....

Vinyl is king, a real dj scratching records will always be far superior than mixing on a laptop.

Comment

Hey DJ

Originally posted by Matt-B View Post
      "DJing" isn't really what is use to be, now they hook up a laptop with spoitfy or an iPhone...

Are you scratching records? I have a friend in LA, that is a DJ at an edm club, and he loses like 3 lbs a day, he's nuts.

But I went to a club his neighbor owned, and caught a glimpse of the laptop, it was Spotify... And the turn tables wernt plugged in ROFL

Originally posted by Mlarsen View Post
      ^ Kids these days....

Vinyl is king, a real dj scratching records will always be far superior than mixing on a laptop.
      ^This. I must be getting old. To me, these kids are DJs: https://youtu.be/r_fw7dD5lmc

...and now, a few years later: https://youtu.be/4_6e0icNw7Q

No skills required to press play on a laptop.
      Last edited by elDizzle; 02-17-2016, 06:03 PM. Reason: add'l quote

92 325i Calypsorot Convertible
      H&R Sport Springs+HD Billies+E90 Drop Hats

Comment

It's far more than just pressing buttons on a laptop. Toes has some skills and his DJing has progressed exponentially since he's started. He's good, and he's getting better.
        Hank Ahrens
        1984 Alpine Coupe
        1978 911sc

Comment

well since vinyl doesn't even get pressed anymore for the most part, you cant even DJ the newest, hottest music on vinyl... but vice-versa for many records that can only be found on vinyl and are relics to their beholders. The best DJ should be have a repertoire of skills that do not limit him from playing whatever he wants. playing records is awesome, but youre pretty limited with them when playing for a crowd in 2016.

scratching was the hottest craze beginning in the 80s. now its 2016 and finger drumming and sample launching is, which the technology wasn't around back then.

anybody hating in here actually DJ?? vinyl or on a labtop? its not as easy as you think. you need to open your mind and look beyond the fact that its "pressing play". For one, you use the cue button, and two its not about the skills - it is about providing a vibe for the crowd at your event. and three, its all about finding the jams you have heard and NOBODY ELSE HASNT. Digging up new/old songs that the crowd loves and have never heard before is just simply awesome.

DJing shouldn't be a contest, its more about having fun and letting people party. The crowd doesn't know vinyl from digital, and venues are terrible for sound quality generally so it really doesn't matter. Digital DJing has done a lot more good than bad for the scene as a whole IMO

I can teach you how to DJ but I cant teach you how to pick great music............ you cant please everybody with the music you play but I don't care cause Im having tons of fun when Im on stage :)

Comment

Any DJ I see at weddings, bars, wherever they are, use a Mac and Spotify, with big speakers and subs as a visual, lol and people pay 1500$

I sorta Mess around with fruity looks to make small edm type shorts for gaming videos. But even the 2 people I know who DJ....fake DJ lol

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

http://www.bmwpugetsound.com/events/...trol-clinic-5/ - car control clinic in May. Anyone planning on going? Thinking about taking my iX and popping my cherry

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
              clutchCTRL!
              Move with a purpose.
              - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
              - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
              - 2000 323i AT
              2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Originally posted by kid325e View Post
                http://www.bmwpugetsound.com/events/...trol-clinic-5/ - car control clinic in May. Anyone planning on going? Thinking about taking my iX and popping my cherry
                Down for this! Is it a requirement to go to the track seminar first at 425 Motorsports in April? #trackvirgin

92 325i Calypsorot Convertible
                H&R Sport Springs+HD Billies+E90 Drop Hats

Comment

Originally posted by kid325e View Post

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
                  This looks interesting, I'd prob be down for some driving lessons. Load knows I need them!
                  F80 M3 Alpine
                  E10 Fjord Blue 2002
                  E28 Blackish 535i
                  E21 Silver 320i
                  Disco1 98 4.6
                  ~~~~~~
                  E30 Cirrus coupe S50 SOLD
                  E30 325i SOLD
                  E30 Alpine 325i vert Euro spec SOLD
                  E30 Alpine coupe 325is SOLD
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by spiDmang View Post
                    pm'd lol
                    Are you here yet? You were leaving in 20 minutes two hours ago?

Thanks again for the diff and cluster ... will put them to good use!
                    Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Originally posted by elDizzle View Post
                      Down for this! Is it a requirement to go to the track seminar first at 425 Motorsports in April? #trackvirgin
                      The Track Seminar is not required for the Car Control Clinic, but it's worthwhile to go.

Originally posted by Gerta View Post
                      Are you here yet? You were leaving in 20 minutes two hours ago?

Thanks again for the diff and cluster ... will put them to good use!
                      *ahem*, you're forgetting to thank another person.

I'm counting on you to put those parts to good use!
                      1988 BMW 325iX - Lachssilber/Cardinal - Gone
                      2001 BMW M5 - Anthracite/Black Heritage
                      1999 Toyota 4Runner - White/Oak

Comment

Thanks cg138 and spiDmang for setting me up with some parts I needed. Quick and easy!
                        F80 M3 Alpine
                        E10 Fjord Blue 2002
                        E28 Blackish 535i
                        E21 Silver 320i
                        Disco1 98 4.6
                        ~~~~~~
                        E30 Cirrus coupe S50 SOLD
                        E30 325i SOLD
                        E30 Alpine 325i vert Euro spec SOLD
                        E30 Alpine coupe 325is SOLD
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cg138 View Post
                          The Track Seminar is not required for the Car Control Clinic, but it's worthwhile to go.

*ahem*, you're forgetting to thank another person.

I'm counting on you to put those parts to good use!
                          Oh Cheuk ... so much win in these parts. Like being able to see how much gas I have and buuurrrrrnnnnnnouuuutttts. Thanks.
                          Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Toes, we talk more about it later.

I did weddings for a few years in High School, and won't do it again. That sh*t stressed me out. Course, back then we used Cassettes and Vinyl (yeah, I'm old..) I still have a couple buddies who do weddings, and make decent money. It was just not what I enjoyed doing.

When I moved to doing more raves/DJ competitions, digital DJ equipment was still in it's infancy, and just didn't have the same feel as vinyl. Plus, digital still has a hard time doing certain "tricks" that you still can only do with actual vinyl. Stuff like needle drops (you know when you see someone with tape markers on the vinyl..)

That all being said, I can totally see why many have switched to digital systems. I actually have a digital system at home that I used for a short while (it still used encoded vinyl for effects.) If those systems had been a little more mature when I was touring and playing clubs - you can bet I would have used them!

Let's see, dragging around crate after crate of vinyl vs just a single laptop and some encoded vinyl. Yeah, I'll take the less back killing loadout!!

Plus - cue burn sucks.

When guys that I admire (Bad Boy Bill, Jazzy Jeff..etc.) have made the switch, then there is no reason to drag around your entire collection.

..and yes, I agree with you, it's not always how you play it, but what you play. You got to play to the crowd. I'll admit, sometimes, I got a little too wrapped up showing off rather then getting the crowd moving and ended up with an empty dancefloor. It sucks worse when you the owner of the club is all up in your business about it..

But as far as radio goes - unless you are the Program Director - YOU NEVER GET TO CHOOSE WHAT TO PLAY! In the old days before digital playout, and real time tracking of spins, you could get away with deviating from the playlist now and then. Those days are long gone, and I have seen Jocks fired for trying to play a song not on the playlist..

The playlist at 95% of the commercial stations is compiled by consultants, the Music Director, the Program Director, an sometimes if the company is big enough the National format director for the chain.
                            This is then dayparted based on the usual Morning Drive, middays, Afternoon Drive, Nights, and overnights.
                            Then you have the rotations which determine how often a song plays.
                            This is controlled by the clock which determines when in the hour a certain rotation category plays (High, medium, low, gold, recurrent..etc.) Often, the High's and mediums (basically your hottest songs) are played just after the top of the hour, and at the bottom of the hour.
                            There is a lot more tricks to building a playlist for a station (and it depends on the format as well..) but the main point is, the MD and PD know what should be played when, and if you are screwing around with it, they will call to the mat for it..
                            1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                            2016 Ford Flex
                            2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

I highly recommend going to the seminar at 425 motor sports, they touch on a lot of things you'd want to know as someone who knows next to nothing. Plus lots of racing gear and car stuff to gawk at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                              clutchCTRL!
                              Move with a purpose.
                              - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                              - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                              - 2000 323i AT
                              2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

the car control clinic looks like a blast, I want to come out since its pretty affordable.

DJJERME, that's some cool insight you have there. I listen almost exclusively to listener funded radio stations, like c89.5 and 90.3 KEXP so that never really crossed my mind... the hierarchy of the playlist. We are blessed to have some great radio here in greater Seattle area, that's for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X