Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by AustinK425 View Post
    who are you!? i never see your car around haha
    and wardie in mlt had bottle caps to spare last time I checked.
    I've been to a couple meet ups around here. Maybe we met. I'm a old guy. Alpinw2 91 318is.

    Hopefully warding chimes in here. Sending him a pm.

    Comment


      Originally posted by RainRider View Post
      Any bottle caps local? Need one. Two would be perfect. Four is too many. New driver got fooled by curb.
      I have 6 bottle caps. Tires semi unknown, but have air and on wheels. Im in Queen Anne.
      sigpic
      Project: 87' 325iS... 325iS
      88 Alpine 325i
      1/2 88 325iX

      Comment


        Originally posted by dugly52 View Post
        I have 6 bottle caps. Tires semi unknown, but have air and on wheels. Im in Queen Anne.
        Pm'ed

        Comment


          Alright smart kids.

          I have a 327i prepped with a gates racing belt and arp studs, runs great.

          The dilemma now is; turbo, s54, s52, cammed alum m52, or mysterious alternate? I have about $5k to work with and need to replace my clutch too.
          sigpic

          4 doors.. so much room for activities!

          IG @bluebombr

          Transaction Feedback:

          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=323622

          Comment


            I got the SETA/eta managament M20, yarded out tonight, in preparation for the M60 swap. Not quite sure what I am doing with it yet.
            Dumpster Fire Pilot

            Comment


              Anyone know if I can get any money for a shot auto transmission, ZF 4hp22?

              Comment


                Not really much of anything scrap prices are shit be lucky to just get rid of the piece of shit
                Originally posted by bmwm42
                PNW vulture pm me for parts
                Strategic nw e30 command

                Comment


                  For comparison, I had a vert shell shreded, it was 110$

                  You'd be lucky to get 1 or 2$ , as its many kids of metals


                  Please leave feedback below, thanks

                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                    The M20 with a 885 just needs higher compression and a good tune and you're in 24v territory
                    This, and a good camshaft. m20s need the correct lobe center angle and overlap to make good top end power like the 24 valves do.

                    Regrounds are ok and all, but not ideal at all

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by e30josh View Post
                      Regrounds are ok and all, but not ideal at all
                      Agreed.

                      I like the reground in one of my cars (from Bimmerheads), but being forced to run oversize eccentrics and the "compromise" made to use an original cam as a starting point causes some issues when it's a higher lift/longer duration cam. Not that I think it's going to have ramp speed issues and valve float, but you end up needing to make a certain profile "fit" the outline of the OEM cam to get your lift numbers.

                      For the Alpina project, the plan is to just buy a "new" cam from IE. In the end, it's almost the same amount when you add the cost of oversized eccentrics and shipping for a good core back to the regrinder.
                      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                      2016 Ford Flex
                      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

                      Comment


                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...30&postcount=1

                        RIP BRADLEY

                        Always knew you were a dick :p
                        1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                        willschnitz

                        Comment


                          scored adapter friendly BBS RK today and z3 steering rack, among other things whoop whoop. ran out of light/time but am gonna head back to Seattle next weekend for more stuffs

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                            Agreed.

                            I like the reground in one of my cars (from Bimmerheads), but being forced to run oversize eccentrics and the "compromise" made to use an original cam as a starting point causes some issues when it's a higher lift/longer duration cam. Not that I think it's going to have ramp speed issues and valve float, but you end up needing to make a certain profile "fit" the outline of the OEM cam to get your lift numbers.

                            For the Alpina project, the plan is to just buy a "new" cam from IE. In the end, it's almost the same amount when you add the cost of oversized eccentrics and shipping for a good core back to the regrinder.
                            I bought a bimmerheads dual grind but decided to part ways and use my Schrick 288 instead... I didn't want to chance using over sized eccentrics just to get a little extra lift and duration. Paul Burke turbo profile will be my next setup, if I can get ahold of the specs :)

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by ncsubowen View Post
                              Alright smart kids.

                              I have a 327i prepped with a gates racing belt and arp studs, runs great.

                              The dilemma now is; turbo, s54, s52, cammed alum m52, or mysterious alternate? I have about $5k to work with and need to replace my clutch too.
                              Your m20 has perfect compression and low compression at that... So t a favor and force feed some air ;)

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by ncsubowen View Post
                                That's what I'm saying, anything with VANOS should be addressed before it's a problem and besides that people are running stock S54s for well over 200k miles.

                                I don't want to discourage people from things that they're clearly excited about, but spending north of a clean swapped car to build a M42 in a gutted beater screams 'regret' to me. I think that's mostly where we're coming from, Toes, not out of disrespect for your excitement but as people who have blown a lot of money doing something dumb and want to talk you out of doing the same.

                                An S54 is 326lbs, with est 321hp.

                                An M42 is 220lbs, with est 142hp.

                                So for the amount of a tiny female passenger on are more than doubling your HP, with much more power availability and in a much more driveable car.

                                Even an M50/52 isn't going to increase your weight by much (~50lb) and it'll be 60+ HP gained, while also being actually usable power.
                                I just want to point out that these numbers are wrong. the S54 is about 478lbs, not 326lbs.. and there's no way an M42 is only 220lbs, it's well over 300.. (looks like these weights are from the bimmerforums FAQ, but those are short block weights - not a complete engine). from the engine weights thread, it was 427lbs with the transmission, and the getrag isn't all that heavy - around 75lbs. actually as far as power to weight ratio, the M42 doesn't look so great.

                                the M42 is great in a stock 318is, but I agree that it's a waste of time to modify. $6,000 for 200whp? maybe? man, you'd get better return on your $ modding an M20. or just maintain your M42 and make your car into something other than a gutted out POS.
                                Build thread

                                Bimmerlabs

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X